Nugget Shooter Forums

Oklahoma girl sells diamond found in Arkansas park for $20G

arkansas-diamond-discovery2.jpg

An Oklahoma girl has sold a 3.85-carat diamond she unearthed at an Arkansas park for $20,000.

Tana Clymer found the diamond last October while hunting for gems with her family at Crater of Diamonds State Park in Murfreesboro, Ark. She said she couldn't believe her good luck and asked her father if she was dreaming.

She told television station KWTV at the time she noticed something on the surface of the ground after sifting through a search field for about two hours.

"I thought it was a piece of paper or foil from a candy wrapper," Tana said. "Then, when I touched it, I thought it was a marble. I think God pointed me to it. I was about to sprint to join my family, and God told me to slow down and look. Then, I found the diamond!"

The yellow diamond the teen found is teardrop-shaped and about the size of a jellybean.

Tana named the diamond "God's Jewel," park officials said.

Tana told KWTV that she plans to use the money from the recent sale of the yellow diamond to help pay for college.

Last month, a Louisiana man found a 2.89 carat white diamond at the park. Brandon Kalenda of Maurepas found the gem on March 6 and said he plans to keep it. Kalenda named the diamond "Jax Diamond" after his infant son Jackson.

The park is the only diamond-producing site in the U.S. that is open to the public. Other gems discovered at the state park include amethyst, garnet, peridot, jasper, agate, calcite, barite, and quartz.

I want to go to this park for 3-4 days within the next year.

Has anyone here found anything when there?

Mitchel

I've been there four times....thought I found one once but it turned out to be something else. I did see a bored 16 year old boy from Dallas with his parent find a nice one while laying in the shade and digging dirt with his fingers.

I'd like to go sometime. We use to go to Arkansas every year on VC. Driven by it many times. Can't believe we didn't stop and look. Hope to go before I really get too old...hehe!

Mighty pretty!

I read somewhere to use grease to capture those beauties..

I was there several times as a kid (the earth was still cooling) but never found anything. Born and raised about 40 miles south of there. My aunt found a small diamond on one of the trips and had it mounted in a ring. I would like to go back now.

Stan,

Do you know anything about the geology there? Kinda wonder why there.

Rim

Their cleaning out the Crater.....Man finds 6-carat diamond at Crater of Diamonds

DiamondDig.jpg

A man who moved to the Murfreesboro area because he enjoys hunting for precious stones at Crater of Diamonds State Park has found a 6.19-carat white diamond.

David Anderson found the stone Wednesday and named it the "Limitless Diamond," in honor of a charity.

Anderson says he plans to sell the diamond and donate the proceeds to the Speed of Light charitable organization.

Park Interpreter Waymon Cox says the stone is about the size of a jelly bean and is the 15th-largest diamond unearthed at the park, which was founded in 1972. Cox says the diamond is almost entirely clear and appears to be an unbroken crystal.

The park in southwest Arkansas is unique in that patrons can hunt for diamonds and keep what they find. Earlier this month, an Oklahoma City girl sold a 3.85-carat diamond she found at an Arkansas park for $20,000.

Did you know diamonds have also been found in meteorites too? I luv digging up stuff...here's a good read on diamonds.

http://academic.emporia.edu/abersusa/go336/ringler/diamondmining.htm

I would like to go dig quartz crystals in AR and spend a day or two at the park looking for diamonds. Says that it is 1,260 miles from my place to the Crater of diamonds and a 18 hour drive :grr01:

i went there the last week of may in 2012 and only took 2 bottles of gatoraid and 3 bottles of water into the shade of the panning tank area it wasnt enough first time i have ever been in that high of a humidity and suffering from the heat it was only 85 degrees but the humidity was over 90 % just miserable being there

Grumpy the gulf moisture and heat is almost sufficating here. I remember one vacation we took and went to milwood lake in the very left bottom corner of Arkansas. Not a breeze, the water was like glass on the lake, and temps were up into the 90's. I wanted to swim and water ski really bad too but the lake was too snakey for me. Bunches of lilly pads, and I heard they had gators too. A tent with no AC is __LL!! lol

Well we actually went up to bull shoals on the Missouri line and it was nice but stopped at lake milwood on the way back. Use to be one of the top bass fishing lakes in US. I had a stringer of fish in the lake and went to look and found only bones...sniff