Nugget Shooter Forums

Dowsing for Meteorites...

I've seen dowsing for gold and meteorites discussed on other forums, but not here. My interest in dowsing has recently been rekindled and I want to try this technique to hunt for meteorites and maybe gold too.

Has anyone tried this? Any success?

I believe in water dowsing; I've found water lines with it. It know that works, but I was surprised to learn that some people use it to find gold and lost items. I've watched some YouTube videos and read about it, but I'm not completely convinced. Does anyone have any experience with this (good or bad) that they'd like to share?

Saginaw

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dowsing works good for water lines but have no clue about the rest. There was a post here I think. Search dowsing.

Tried a while back and got zip. I'll try again. At TreasureQuest, dowsing has its own forum, so I was surprised it was never a topic here. I love Nuggetshooter, by the way.

Update: Did a new search using the whole word dowsing instead of dows and got a bunch of finds.

Edited by saginaw72

I did one for rods and found this one.

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=21425&hl=rods#entry171584

I also believe a pipe in ground puts out some magnetic forces out that causes dowsing to work when finding pipes. With that said, dowsing might find a vein of gold... :thumbsupanim Worth a try... :arrowheadsmiley:

Edited by Rimshot

Thanks for the find Rimmy. Got lots of reading to do, what with all the posts I found in the new search. Thanks for getting me to try again.

You may be right about the pipes thing. Nobody knows how any of it works. I sure don't know how it works, but I've had 100% success finding water lines. So when I read about people finding gold with it, I thought, why not try it.

Some of my reading says you're suppose to ask questions, but then they're not clear on how to read a response, or what the response would be.

Still learning.

Saginaw

The most conductive of all metals are silver, copper and gold in that order. Silver is also the most thermally conductive element, and the most light reflecting element. Silver also has the unusual property that the tarnish that forms on silver is still highly electrically conductive.

Make you some silver dowsing rods (L shaped) and use 2 pieces of straw cut to 5 inches long. The kind of straw you suck with. Put the 2 pieces of straw in your hands. Insert the rods into each straw. This prevents any friction your hands may cause. This is the cadillac of all devining rods IMHO.

But if you can't do silver, copper will work fine.

Edited by Rimshot

I have seen someone dowse for meteorites, with no success. The only elements common to most, but not all meteorites, is iron

and nickel. The problem with dowsing for iron or nickel is that MANY man made objects that are commonly found (in great abundance)

out in the field, would catch the attention of the dowser. The gentleman that I watched, collected a great many nails, horseshoes, tobacco

cans, boot-tacks, bolts, other ferrous trash in the course of 4 hours. Dowsing for olivine, pyroxene, or some other element common to

meteoritic petrology, would have pitfalls, as many of those elements are common to terrestrial rocks. I have personally tried to dowse, and

find for me, it only works for water pipes. I recommend you stick with using a detector, or magnet-stick.

Ben

Back home from work. Please excuse the multi-reply.

Fred: That spiritual element is what I've been running into with some of the reading I've been doing. If that's what you're alluding to. That part of it kind of puts me off; that whole crystals and incense thing. I'd like to get into it more, but minus that stuff. You've had some luck using it. Would or will you try it again?

Rimmy: I use L-Rods. I bought a long bar from Home Depot and cut it in half. It's steel I think and it works well with water, but you make a good point, so I'm going to make a set out of copper. Can't afford silver, I think. I'll check the cost. Good idea.

Ben: Don't intend to give up my detector, but I do want to look into dowsing. If it works, I'll have more tools in my toolbox. The reading I've been doing is confusing. You're suppose to ask questions and get a response, but it's not clear how the response will guide me. Still trying to find out how it all works. Different practitioners have different methods. I'm beginning to think I'd be better off just working out my own method. These practitioners say you can dowse for almost anything. You can dowse remotely too, using maps.

Saginaw

Edited by saginaw72

No, that is not what I meant...I mean you have to have your mind free of distractions/greed/ avarice...simple things like having chores that need doing will keep you from having a dousing-state-of-mind...kind of like meditation or the mind-set that lets you really lose yourself in an activity is where your mind needs to be.

I never could douse gor gold, partly because I really needed the money back when.

Yes, I will and still sort-of use dousing principles in my detecting again and again...

fred

Your link messed with my computer, Mitchel.

To be clear, I donot associate dousing with spiritualism or anything of that nature. I believe dousing is tapping into some unknown and not understood source within each person. Not everyone will be able to successfully douse. Nor will most be able to douse for every type of object they may want to find. Need and Greed will alter the results, at least it seems to for me. That is why I donot apply dousing in a direct manner to my nugget hunting-I really want to find gold and that keeps me from dousing successfully-at least it is a good excuse for failure. As a final comment-I would never, ever pay for one of those overpriced and useless long-range detectors. A bent clothes hanger is every bit as effective.

and that is another of my never humble opinions

fred

Edited by fredmason

well, detectors work and there are still lots of treasures to be found...right where many have gone before.

I am not suggesting that dousing is always successful nor that everyone should drop their detectors...and without faith in the tools/skills you are using, nothing will work very well...

I am simply answering a question with my own experiences-I am not debating the veracity of dousing...

fred

You know ... the shape of a detector and the materials used in it are similar to the dowsing rods ...

How many treasures would be found with a detector in the 'off' position?

:yesss:

You know ... the shape of a detector and the materials used in it are similar to the dowsing rods ...

How many treasures would be found with a detector in the 'off' position?

:yesss:

Eye Ball finds only.

Back in the early sixties on the farm in Michigan, we needed another well. My great-uncle used a fork of a peach tree limb, he located the spot to drill. That same limb worked for me but would not worked for uncle, my dad nor for my grandfather.

Have not ever thought much of it since, until you posted this article. Maybe I'll try a limb off a Palo Verde tree, and try it on a couple private wells near here. Water is so bad here, not fit to drink, eats cast-iron.

bob

Back in the early sixties on the farm in Michigan, we needed another well. My great-uncle used a fork of a peach tree limb, he located the spot to drill. That same limb worked for me but would not worked for uncle, my dad nor for my grandfather.

Have not ever thought much of it since, until you posted this article. Maybe I'll try a limb off a Palo Verde tree, and try it on a couple private wells near here. Water is so bad here, not fit to drink, eats cast-iron.

bob

Water is all over the Place if you just dig deep enough. Here we have fault lines that mess stuff up. You can find water 200ft on one side of the road and not at 700ft on the other. Dowsers ?

Bob: I'd like to know how your search for water turns out. It's weird how it will work for some and not others. I was tracing a waterline for a friend and he asked to try and got nothing from the rods. We even went back over the proven path, and there was no movement in the rods. I tried again and everything went well. He tried again and nothing. As I understand from what I've been reading, you have to visualize what you're looking for, in your case think of sweetwater. Think of how it tastes and how you feel when you drink it. Keep it topmost in your mind while you're dowsing. Sounds silly, but it can't hurt. I think this is part of what Fred was saying in reply #10 above.

All: I don't like closing my mind to anything, but I know others have different views and I respect that and I want to hear them. I know dowsing works with finding water, and if this technique can be used in other ways, I'll try it. it's not hurting anyone, so what's the harm? I'm curious about it and just want to explore it. There are others on this forum that have probably tried it but haven't responded because they think they might be ridiculed. I, for one, want to hear what everyone has to say about this, for and against.

So thanks everyone for every post. All of them are welcome.

Saginaw

Edited by saginaw72

Ok Sagi...since you have responded with an open mind I will explain how I have used dousing principles in detecting-and, as an aside, I think I will give it ago when I get on the gold fields again.

Back when I lived in Chino Valley Az, I had a lot of time and a great place to detect. After the coins thinned out I thought about dousing and gave it a try. My method was to close my eyes with my detector in hand and slowly turn in a circle, as I did this I would repeat something like...indicate the direction of a detectable coin with 50 feet...when I got the "urge" to stop I stopped...I would usualy find a coin along the line indicated...I found this only worked when I was relaxed and had no pressing issues on my mind.

Now-a-days, I depend on intuition...which has often lead me to a stray nugget or meteorite...

No, I donot have any scientific evidence that this works...and, I don't need it...No animals or humans are harmed playing with dousing...

fred

I agree that it does not work for everyone. I am one who it does not work for so it is hard to believe.

I did an experiment locating a known waterline with two other people. I laid out a course to go over a water line known to me only. With two of us it did not work but with the third person, my aunt, it worked every time she crossed the water line.

On another occasion a friend had a well driller drilling dry holes on his ranch. The pro missed twice. Another friend offered to douse a site for him. The friend doused three spots, one of which was only about 50' from one of the dry holes. All three locations had good water.

We have a guy in our club that uses dosing to locate gold. He uses rods in the field and a pendulum over a map. He says what Fred says. You must have a clear mind and think about what you want to find. Yes, he is successful.

Internet and cell phone service has been out all day. You never appreciate things until you lose them. Used the down time to find some copper rods to try Rimmy's suggestion. Will update later after my next outing next month.

Fred: I like the technique you described. I think my method I've been working out is somewhat like yours. Never tried going in a circle. That sounds interesting and intuitive (why didn't I think of that). I'm going to try it just as you describe and see how it works for me.

Ed: Weird how dowsing is go-nogo with different people. The guy at the gold club, do you know his technique for gold and map dowsing? Would really like to hear about it.

Saginaw

Sag remember if you use my straw method, be sure to hold them perfectly level or otherwise it won't work properly. I've used coat hangers too and they work too, but if you want the cadillac...just saying..I think in my younger days I even found a gas line too. I sure would like to get over a gold vein and try it out...sniff

Edited by Rimshot

Thanks for reminding me Rimmy. I'll make sure I get some straw. Forgot that item. Gonna try copper for now and see how my luck goes. Pretty sure silver rods are out of my price range. I hold mine level and tight to my chest right now. I'm going to try being a bit more loose while still keeping them level.

Saginaw

Edited by saginaw72