Nugget Shooter Forums

Mars will come into alignment with Earth and sun tonight...

Mars, Earth, and Sun alignment tonight.

Mars takes the celestial stage Tuesday night (April 8) when it lines up with the Earth and sun in a kind of cosmic preview to the Red Planet's closest approach to Earth during a total lunar eclipse later this month.

Tonight's alignment between Mars, the Earth and the sun is called "opposition" because Mars and the sun are opposite to each other in our sky. Opposition and the date of closest encounter are slightly different because Earth and Mars are not in perfectly circular orbits... MORE

Saginaw

Hi Saginaw,

Thanks for the link on tonight's alignment. It should look awesome.

Don't forget about the alignment and total lunar eclipse creating the first of four "Blood Moons" on April 15th. Mars will also be "fiery" next to the moon.

It will also be Passover, and a very rare event. Don't miss it!

Ben

April 15 and Blood Moon, must be tax time.

I was planning to watch for the eclipse. Hope my Seder doesn't interfere. ;-)

Saginaw

Cool find sag...i'll be watching if we don't have clouds.

Well I ran outside and got a blurr, but what do you expect with a 7mp camera with 24 digital zoom. Very shakey on the tripod. It does have a red tint.

post-26159-0-02391400-1397011081_thumb.j

Edited by Rimshot

Still an impressive shot Rimmy.

Shakey even on the tripod? Try using your timer.

Just finished watching UCONN and ND. Won't spoil it for anyone that hasn't watched it yet. Great game.

Sag I forgot about the timer lol...I wish it had of been when it first came up...i bet it was bigger...dang

But I took some more but they didn't do any better.

1st one is with timer and blown up 200% w/24 digital zoom.

2nd one is another one with timer and just turned out weird.

post-26159-0-76203800-1397014020_thumb.j

post-26159-0-73739700-1397014051_thumb.j

Edited by Rimshot

Still impressive Rimmy. That second one is odd. Wonder what happened. Looks focused. Neat. Try again tomorrow. I think I will too. Are you going to try to take pics of the eclipse?

Cool. Think I'll borrow a telescope for the next one, what with it being closer. For now, I think I'll try my binoculars and tripod.

I'm not much of a camera buff, but I think it was only giving me 16X digital zoom last night. I don't understand all of the settings. It's an old Panasonic DMC-LZ7. I been eyeballing a nice Fugi on cl for $120.00. That looks to be a very nice one .

Not sure why the second one turned out like that. Same settings and should have looked like the very 1st picture.

Edited by Rimshot

Reg,

No, just took it normal like always and used timer. I think my tripod has a mind of its on.....lol

I'm going to try something different if it comes back tonight.

Edited by Rimshot

Clean your lens Rimmy. Might be smudges causing the weird appearance of the images.

Eyeglass cleaner will do.

Edited by saginaw72

Hey that's it Sag! I shot the second set thru a window. That's what caused it. Tks!

Well now i don't know, may have been the flash.

This camera just don't have enuf horsepower. Digital zoom sux... :grr01:

Here's the last of my tries. This is 24X digital zoom and blown up 200%.

I may try 1 using 6X optical and then blow it up.

post-26159-0-14374000-1397097290_thumb.j

Edited by Rimshot

Still a nice shot. You're right about the digital zoom; it's like enlarging a small digital photo and watching it become more and more pixelated the bigger it gets. I like the 6x idea. I think the result will be more to your liking.

Saginaw

Well it sounded good, but there was that ugly ring again. On every picture. When I blow it up using paint, here comes the ring I guess. But some of the 16X or 24X didn't do it. Wish one of those guys with a 14-16 mega pixel camera would do one. Without a telescope so i could decide if I want to buy a better camera. And using full zoom too.

Edited by Rimshot

That would work if i had a telescope. lol Reg you got a picture of one (adapter)?

Edited by Rimshot

Rimmy you could use the adapter with a spotting scope too. Weren't you looking at one before?

That brings up another question. What is the difference between a spotting telescope and a telescope? They look the same to me on the outside...hmmm

Think of a spotting scope as half of a pair of binoculars. You'll only have one eyepiece. The magnification can be pretty high, depending on how much money you've got. More money will get you a very bright view. These can run about 2-3 hundred dollars. Check out that info link I mentioned in that other topic.

Saginaw