Nugget Shooter Forums

100 kg US Meteorite Fall & Find Recovery Contest

We need to have a contest to see who can recover the next 100 kg meteorite from an observed FALL in the US, and the next 100 kg meteorite from a FIND in the US, and the first LUNAR meteorite from the US. I am looking for input as to how to make this more challenging and fun for everyone.

It has been probably 66 years since a single meteorite was found in the US weighing over 100 kg. The Norton County, Kansas Fall of 1948 produced over a ton of meteorites. It is the most recent FALL which could have produced a 100 kg meteorite. Although I have not been able to confirm that even Norton County has a single 100 kilogrammer. It has probably been just as long since a single meteorite FIND weighing over 100 kg has been recovered as well.

The Meteoritical Bulletin lists 2017 total meteorites from the US of which 7% are observed Falls.

Here are the statistics for recovered US Falls: 156 Falls have been recovered in the US. Total Known Weight (TKW) recovered of 18 of them have exceeded 45 kg, or 100 US lbs. Only one of thesse 18 large Falls have occurred since 1950; Portales Valley, NM occurred in 1998 with a TKW recovered of 71.4 kg, Half of the 18 US Falls had TKW recovered over 100 kg,with the largest Norton County, KS in 1948 at 1100 kg. There have been no meteorite Falls over 100 kg since Norton County.

A third contest should be to honor the first person to recover a Lunar meteorite from the US. Of the 180 known Lunar meteorites there has never been a single one found in the US.

Contest One:

Be the first to FIND a single US meteorite, weighing at least 100 kilograms, and get it classified in the Meteoritical Bulletin.

Contest Two:

Be the first to recover from an observed FALL a single US meteorite, weighing at least 100 kilograms, and get it classified in the Meteoritical Bulletin.

Contest Three:

Be the first to recover a US LUNAR meteorite of any weight and size and get it classified in the Meteoritical Bulletin.

What do you think fellow hunters?

Are you up for the challenge?

billpeters

Edited by billpeters

There are already people pushing hard for some of those goals...........................

Success at any of them, plus 5 bucks, will get you a Starbucks coffee.

Ben

Redbeard,

I think "contest number one" is already over. in October of 2005, in Kiowa County Kansas, Steve Arnold dug

seven and a half feet down, to unearth a 1400 pound Brenham Pallasite.

Ben

Edited by Regmaglitch

I'd rather see team building efforts as opposed to contests.

Jim

Jim has a point. A group covers more ground than an individual. What if you tackled football-field sized areas with 20 people walking in a line, like you see police do when they're looking for evidence in the grass? Just a rough idea, but some variation on that theme could be useful in some applications.

Ben

If you notice, usually after the Tucson gem and mineral shows, there are a considerable amount of new finds all of a sudden in the U.S, usually with only 1 or 2 being found in an area. :idunno:

Edited by DolanDave

We have no control over what our planet runs into on its orbit; there's no guarantee any meteorites over 100kg remain undiscovered in the US. A contest where you have no affect on the outcome is not really a contest.

A group sounds like a good idea Jim and Ben. More ground covered. Steve Arnold's was discovered so deep, would a typical handheld detector have any luck?

I gotta believe that for as long as these have been falling, there are probably a lot of undiscovered large ones out there. Getting access to hunting grounds would be the biggest hurtle.

Ben,

You are correct about Steve Arnold. I was originally posting a contest about Falls, where the evidence for a 100 kg meteorite hasn't occurred in decades, is stronger. I didn't remember the Brenham Pallasite. It still would be good to begin again with the rest of us folks who don't have the expensive, high end gear.

Billpeters

Every time I'm out looking for meteorites I'm hoping to find the first north American lunar, I don't need a contest to motivate me any further. I think everyone dreams of finding "the big one", so I'm still struggling with what the point of this would be? Just to brag that you "won"? What did you win exactly? That's not what motivates me, I get out and do this because I love it. I love it when I don't find anything. I love it when someone I'm with finds something. Group hunting is very effective, and in any group little fun contests invariably arise; who found the biggest one of the day, who made the most finds, best meteorwrong, etc., but I don't think an internet bounty on any of these things is necessary. Believe me, when any of them happen we'll all hear about it. Given the size of the meteorite community, it could very well come from someone in this forum. :)

would a typical handheld detector have any luck?

No, it wouldn't. I think Steve's coil was like 18' in diameter or something.

Edited by Mikestang

Not brag but just fact.....my GPX 4000 with a NF 25" mono will pick up a lead divers weight (4"x4") at 6 feet.

The top of my foot can (and has) detected a diver's weight from 4 feet!

My comment was not about group hunting. It was focused more on dissemination of information.

Jim

BTW, The 1,430 pound Brenham was found 7'4" deep with a Pulse Star Pro II and a 25ft coil set at 8ft wide.

The smaller detectors did not hear it at the surface and it was much later in the hole when the smaller detectors started picking it up.

Jim