Nugget Shooter Forums

Minelab drop support of GP Extream?

Doright

Just got off phone with Minelab they say they will try to fix but Parts supplies are dwindling.

I remmber when 3000 came out and then the 3500 every one said to upgrade threashold was smother and it had a new tracking switch.

Ya the threashold was a TINY bit smother and the switch was fun but was it worth the $4000+ price tag?????

Hell no not for this user :grr01:

My Extream is still my Favorit machine Now I call minelab only to find out they are planning to discontinue support soon for it, to say I am upset is an understatment.

I already felt robbed when I bought the 3500 and refused to buy any newer machines than that because of over hype of the newer machines.

Is there any one else as upset about this is me???

Any one else feel a Class action law suit may be in order?

Seems to me an opportunity for a budding entrepreneur to venture in to the business of repairing and manufacturing parts for the older machines. If I recall GM no longer manufactures parts for a '55 chevy, but yet there are numerous 3rd party entities that offer every part imaginable yet to this day.

Any electronic guru worth his weight in salt can easily reverse engineer pretty much any detector on the market. It appears that's exactly what these guys are doing.

• Like 1

This was from Steve H. to me:

Every Minelab is better than the last, but only a little. 3500 was last and best analog unit before switch to digital back end. 4000 first digital unit and first of ultra stable threshold models

As you may be aware, analog parts are not being made.

Edited by LipCa

Minelab puts this weird Conformant paint on the PC board making things messed up trying to work on them. If I buy a machine I figure it's mine. They don't think so. Well I just don't buy there stuff. If I can't work on it I don't want it. Same with a Car or Truck.

Its not just a matter of replacing parts or soldering components.The hardware parts are available. some times better parts, newer parts, newer technology. Its the software that really matters and the patents. I will say If Minelab wants to discontinu a product and repairs, If they think a product is obsolete and not worth fixing. I think they should make the technology and schematics Public. AzNuggetBob

Minelab AND I know your listening to me. Its just not fair for people to even consider buying an older machine with the possibility that there is few repair options.? And I'm sure Im going to get a timely response to this? AzNuggetBob

Homey have you told Microsoft about your idea of owning their software?

Doright I once sent my Extreme in for a tine repair and the repair shop called me and said they could put in a $70.00 part and it would make the threshold a lot better. I paid the $70.00 and was very pleased with the results.

Before thinking about a lawsuit of any kind remember the time it drags out and the only winners are the attorneys. Then check out also it you live long enough to win you then have to go to the country (AU) and do the same thing there.

AZNB I don't like it any better than you do but it's Minelabs way of forcing us to buy the newer machines. They don't want the old machines repaired!!

Windows XP deadr' than a doornail now also THANX MICROSOFT :2mo5pow: -lucky I went to GC. I was always proud to engineer things that lasted as long as possible,now engineers reverse engineer to destruct when the warranity ends. That's why Tesoro has been my absolute company for over 30+ years as lifetime warranity and they DO back it 100%-John

AMEN HJ.....I had a Tesoro Lobo Super Trac and because of the high humidity here it went "bugger up". Sent it in to the shop and they repaired it and shipped it back NO CHARGES. The detector was about 8 years old.

Only winners in a class action are lawyers. Not sure there is a case anyhow.

It does stink--- but it also has been Minelab's MO for quite awhile.

When I was looking for a machine I figured the pattern meant a 3500 or 3800 had less "repair" life than a 4000 or 4500. The problem with the switch on the 4000 made me go 4500.

Other companies do it. Apple screws you big time. My I-Pod touch won't support any newer apps and they won't allow the old ones to work. So I can either pay a chunk for a new one or accept that mine is little more than a music storage gizmo.

This is why I want more companies getting into the high end PI game--- I believe it will ML in line.

Not the First time ML has dropped support of a machine. They want TOP dollar for everything they sell and after 7-10 years it's just there box.. You can't repair it like a Volvo, Chevy or Ford. Your Screwed. I will stick with something I can Work on or at least have a Chance to Work on.

I agree about Tesoro. I took my old Lobo in to get it fixed, I happened to be in town hunting a coin prospect. it was acting a little fuzzy and I could not figure out what the problem was? I told them I'd be in town and I needed it. they said they would try to fix it asap. I came back four hours later, they had it fixed and they even decided the coil needed to be resealed and fixed that too. They handed it back to me No Charge with a smile and said thanks for swinging a Tesoro. They have the best service I've ever seen. :thumbsupanim

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a GP Extreme that was dead from an AZO forum member for $350.

I posted queries on www.geotech1.com about the issues I saw and got some great help from several guys on repairing it.

It took me several weeks of effort to get it working. Several issues - coil, coil cable, ribbon cable between the pcb's, and some bad fets in the front end of the RX section caused by the bad coil things. Check on geotech if you want to try and get it working yourself.

Otherwise, I'll give you $350 for it and see what I can do. I am in Orange County,CA - I'd be willing to take a quick look if you bring it by.

I definitely am not nearly up to the knowledge level of Woody for repairs!

I couldn't justify buying the expense of buying a working unit but had my nights free to try and fix mine.

Now that I put an 8" mono coil on it, it finds gnat's ass metal slivers and bullet fragments. Also 3 nuggets so far at the HavasuGoldSeekers digs.

I don't care to start a repair business but let me know if you wish to sell non-functional coils and high performance detectors for something I can afford.

Barry