Nugget Shooter Forums

So this is dark flight

That is likely a scam....something falling from the plane or one of the parachutist.

Jim

Edited by Desertsunburn

I thought so at first, but after watching the video I believe it is probably legit based on their demeanor and the actual video footage. The frame by frame shots show greater spread or separation as it approaches the camera as would be expected and the velocity of the object seems about right. In todays world with cameras and videos filming everything even very rare events are bound to get captured occasionally by someone......

Jim,

I'm 'struck' by the high quality of the video and it's an 'event' very close to April 1. I reserve judgment and think there could be 'more to the story' and who is the expert?

Is he known by the community?

Mitchel

Do the math!

1 in 500 billion chance of this happing. No supporting evidence that there was an event...and there would have been a good event. But it is certainly possible....

Did something fall? I can not even tell that it is a rock. Looks a lot like a camera case.No doubt....but not from space!

Then again, we have proof that pigs fly too!

My vote it that not a meteoroid, that there was no meteor (event) and after two years of hunting....with very specific location info....they have not found a meteorite.

Jim

Yep. the math looks good to me! 10 billion people on this planet, half of them carrying cell phones with video and cameras. Dozens of meteorites striking the surface of the earth in that size range every day. Some have fallen through roofs, killing animals, and even hitting people. The odds of something like this being recorded are relative to the number of events but also the number of videos being shot around the world. Viewed from that perspective it seems plausible. I remember the Russian meteorite event last year and most folks stating the hole in the lake was a fake, even though small fragments were being found on the ice all around it. It seemed reasonable to me considering the size of the event. And of course they finally did find a big meteorite below the surface nearly a year later......could be fake of course, but my vote is it is legit....

As Jim says, it's possible. But, it registers a 9.7 on my "I'm-so-sure" meter. I don't like that the guy's friend comes DOWN into the picture from above,

after the "stone" goes by. How do I know it was not pulled out of his gear before he comes into the frame? Also, if you watch the entire video, you'll notice

that EVERYONE is smiling like they're in on a big April Fools Day joke. Also, this video was taken in 2012. If it was not staged, why is it coming out

just now?

Ben

Someone I am not sure want to be mentioned says the object is about 3" and is going too slow to be a meteoroid.

Jim

Terminal velocity is dependent primarily on the density of the object and secondarily on the shape. A human has a density of 1.0 and he/she can change their velocity a very small percent by altering the position of their body to increase or decrease drag. Typical human falling velocity is 122 mph. By diving straight down with arms tucked in 200 mph can be reached. A 30-06 bullet falls at 200 mph as well. An iron meteorite should fall around the same speed as the bullet, so around 200 mph. Sikhote Alin was much faster because breakup occurred at a very low altitude, so there are exceptions.....The object in the video was probably much less than 200 mph....

• 2 weeks later...

Jim,

That is great science.

Most phenomenon have a similar solution (analysis, theory, proof) and thus 'mysteries' are solved. Those 'mysteries' lacking such a solution with only 'conspiracy theory' explanations are just mostly ignored, rejected or unexplained science.

Mitchel