Nugget Shooter Forums

Last Stand Lake question

Hi there,

This is my first post here,I've searched the forums but could not find any info related to my question so please excuse me if this is answered somewhere else.

i saw that someone here had visited last stand lake in Nevada north of Rachel.

I cannot tell by google maps satellite,is the road that leads to this lake accessible by car or do I need a 4x4? Having never driven desert dirt roads,I am not sure if they are solid or if they are sand like a beach,I just dont want to get stuck.

Thanks in advance!

The road to Fred's wall pretty much okay to drive passenger vehicle. The last stretch to the lake from the well is little soft but I did it in my 2 Wheel Drive truck. After that the whole lake is pretty much accessible with no soft spots just be careful of the shrapnel on the lake there are some sharp things that stick up you don't want to blow a tire out there.

Bryan

Hi Nurserob,

If I may suggest.......

For people that don't have 4WD vehicles, quads, or dirt bikes, the easiest, cheapest way to get around on a playa, is on a BICYCLE.

A kids bike from Goodwill, garage sale, or police auction is cheap. Raise the seat, throw on some wide tires, and add a basket to

carry your mag-stick, pack, and water. You can actually cross a dry lake pretty fast to hit a desired location, or head back to your car.

Check it out, Ben

Thanks for the info guys! We are renting a convertible mustang to drive up there with. I wont drive too far in it sounds like.Is the well the thing you can see on google maps satellite,its off a road at the southern end of the dry lakebed. I think I will just park there and walk. As for gas,we are going to top off in Alamo,drive to Last stand,then stop in rachel and make the pilgrimage down groom lake road to get our pictures with the area 51 signs.

I'm still tossing around the idea of a placing a geocache at last stand. There are none there and I would love to be the first one there. I was afraid it was Native American land but since its BLM land,I think I should be ok.

Also,has anyone had any luck at the dry lake across the ET hwy from Rachel NV?

Edited by nurserob

Yes the well is what you see on Google earth right off the main highway on the southern end of the lake. And yes the lake near Rachel I believe it's called Sandvalley dry lake does have finds made on it. Good luck

Bryan

Edited by peakbager

Don't waste your time bringing a metal detector there may be some out in the brush if you look on the lake that's where they've all been found and you can see him just look for the dark black ones but wait there's all bunch of dark black ones just keep your eyes peeled.

Nothing personal, but I think it's a really bad idea planting geocaches in areas

where there are potential meteorite finds. All it does in increase the traffic

in the area which is seldom ever a good idea to bring such attention to the area.

Jim

If you check the map at geocaching.com, the ET highway has a cache about every 100 feet,there are already 20 or 30 within a mile of the lake.This is the most highly concentrated area of caches in the world. Besides,I planned on putting it fairly near the road where the other caches are already at,not out on the lake itself,most likely near the well since I am going to be there with a car and really cant go in any further.map.png?x=1453&y=3159&z=13 Here is an image from the caching site... The lake near rachel has actual caches on the lake and all around it as well.

That should be ok shouldn't it? I can even put it on one of the dirt roads south of the well,not near the lake.

There is also a little fenced area south of the lake that on satellite looks like it has an old windmill on it. I could hide it in that area that is nowhere near the lake as well.

I live across the country and this is going to be my first cache hide,I dont want anyone getting mad and destroying or removing the cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/map/?ll=37.64256,-115.74261#?ll=37.97925,-116.06747&z=13

Edited by nurserob

Oh yeah,I never dreamed of putting it on the lake. Thats too pristine an area to pollute with caches,I planned maybe around that well. Is that BLM land as well or is it privately owned?

One other thing,this type of area prime real estate for rattlesnakes,etc? I dont want to get tagged walking around the area.

Walking around the desert near this lake,do I need to be worried about snakes,scorpions,etc? Obviously if i go looking under rocks I could get in trouble,but are there any creatures I might run into just walking around there looking for meteorites?

The desert has many hazards...The snakes and scorpions donot want anything to do with you. Leave them is peace, please.

Never put your hands or feet where you cannot see. Rattlesnakes are very difficult to spot for most people...especially the little ones. The scorpions are out wandering at night...underground during the day...I have dug many scorpions they just want to get under cover...The tarantulas and Tarantula wasps won't bother you either. Stay far away from hornets nests and honey bees hives...

Carry a pair of tweezers to pull any thorns from cactus..

jeeze, I am afraid to go out there now...

fred