Nugget Shooter Forums

in black sand

This is black sand concentrate under short wave. The few bright blueish pieces I believe to be quartz. Anyone have any idea what mineral would make up all the yellow specks?? thanks, Bob

fluor.jpg

I'm not sure I understand what is meat by short wave - "This is black sand concentrate under short wave." Are we talking some kind of black light or something else?

I would isolate a few of the yellow pieces with a toothpick or similar tool and view them under a microscope, you would get a better idea of what they look like if they were a much bigger sample which may help with an ID, that is, if you have a microscope or could borrow one, a USB microscope that connects to your computer so you could capture the image would be a great help in posting images and studying the mineral.

Gold has been removed from this. Scheelite could be as the blue pieces look white under a microscope. I took a couple photos pointing a small camera through a 30x illuminated microscope. First is a piece of the blue which are much larger than the yellow.

003-6.jpg

here is a yellow speck which is a clear crystal

004-5.jpg

Edited by Bob(AK)

Both could be scheelite.

http://uvminerals.org/fms/minerals

"Scheelite, a major ore of tungsten, is often found by its brilliant sky-blue fluorescence. If it has a little molybdenum in it (which makes it troublesome to extract the tungsten), this color is modified to white or yellow, providing a quick way to assess the commercial value of a find."

Or maybe the yellow could be Esperite...

http://www.galleries.com/Esperite

http://franklin-sterlinghill.com/franklinminerals/uv%20esperite.shtml

Your first photo looks like gold to me too! LOL Here in New Mexico we have Yellow and White Corundum. Try a Hardness test on the stuff. Corundum will scratch bottle glass.

I'm with Johnno on the Zircon. It is common to find them in concentrates around the Portis Mine in NC.

Calcite can also fluoresce yellow, but they wouldn't be in your heavies/black sands, zircons for sure hang in the black sands.

-Dave

For those that don;t like clicking on links, 2 sections from the above links I posted :)

Zircon sand. This is a concentrated sand-sized grains of zircon from sand deposits, where it occurs with others heavy minerals like magnetite, ilmenite, etc.

• Pleochroism: Strong in deep colors; Blue: deep sky blue to colorless or yellowish-Grey; Others: darker and lighter tones of the same color.
  • U.V. Fluorescence: Some show a mustard-yellow or yellow orange under long or short wavelength U.V.. Some show a dull yellow phosphorescence. Prolonged exposure to strong u.v. light can cause some colorless zircons to revert to their original brown color.

Well, I think you guys are onto something. I have dug up much info on the area and all I have found until now is gold, silver, platinum, galena, pyrite, chromium and a couple others. Tonight I find info that mentions both scheelite and zircon. I have no way to do any testing for hardness or anything else on these tiny pieces but if I ever figure it out I will let you know, thanks, Bob