Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GeoJack

Carbonaceous Chondrite

I have a question on carbonaceous chondrites and how long they last in the open. I have a lode claim in the Sutter's Mill Meteorite strewn field and wanted to know if I should still be looking for these or if they have dissolved.

Also, what's the going price for a .95g stone? Our group found 8 and we still have one.

Hey Jack,

We've met. The retail price for Sutter's Mill is about $600 per gram. It has come down a lot since the early hype. Even that may be high. The wholesale price is about $400/gram. Sutter's Mill is fragile as CCs go, but it will still realistically likely to last centuries at the site in spite of popular belief to the contrary. It does degrade though.The sooner it is found the better. The difficulty is the vegetation easily overwhelms it as it covers it up.

bill peters

Bill,

Good to hear from you. So, does it discolor or will it still be jet black? We've been biting all the deer turds trying to confirm the rights from the wrongs. :D

Hi GeoJack,

How long the meteorites last depends on several things. Ones that land in the ocean, are eaten up quickly by the corrosive salt water. On land,

it depends on the size, metal content, how long ago it landed, if it's in a dry environment, or a moist, environment, if it's buried, if the soil is caustic,

and if it's in a flood plain or river delta.

The price of a meteorite is high IF, it's classified, a rare type like lunar or martian, a low TKW (total known weight), the exact find location is noted,

if it's from an observed fall, if that fall hit a human, something man-made, or even livestock, if it's fresh, as opposed to remnant-crust like on Gold Basin

stones, and if it is oriented in shape.

A meteorite gets a low, or lower price IF it's a common type, has a high TKW, has not been classified, it doesn't have a location, if it weathered in

appearance, if it has been heavily leached or oxidized, if it is an "ugly" stone, or if it has been contaminated with chemicals.

There are of course, exceptions to the above, but that's the basic way they are valued.

Good Luck, Ben

Ones that land in the ocean, are eaten up quickly by the corrosive salt water.

I believe salt water is only corrosive in the presence of oxygen. Theoretically we should be able to go to the deepest depths of the ocean where there's no dissolved oxygen and find meteorites sitting there.

I'm speaking specifically of the Sutter's Mill Meteorite that came down April of 2012. I have heard differing stories on how long it will last in the elements. Manzanita covered hills with very little vegetation under the canopy so looking for them is not too difficult if you can get by all the deer droppings that look just like them. We found 8 stones and still looking.

You could always put one of your 8 in your backyard and see how long it lasts. :)

Hi GeoJack,

Mike has a point but, I think it would be better if you took one of your 8, and sent it to me for testing. Yeah,

testing.

Ben

Also, what's the going price for a .95g stone? Our group found 8 and we still have one.

Call me I'm always buying! : )

Bill,

Good to hear from you. So, does it discolor or will it still be jet black? We've been biting all the deer turds trying to confirm the rights from the wrongs. :D

GJ,

Do the 'rights' taste like chicken? :ROFL:

Greg

Murchison and Jiblet Winselwan are still black, but a lighter color of black to help answer your question about black.

I recently complete several thin sections of both of these and they were still black, but some what heading

for a blackish grey.

Jim

Thanks all, great relief to hear we can still look. It was a great event and the wife and I still talk about it and relive it driving through Coloma.

Had a great time meeting all the crew when you guys were down here.

Don't think we want to sell "Precious", just wondering about the market. We are still wanting to do a lake bed in Nevada for more.

We figured if we wanted to find more the bigger stones would be easier (yeah right) to find than the small ones we found before.

Good times,

Rick

Bill,

Jack,

It will eventually lighten over years to a lighter black, rather than the jet black it is now. The outer finger nail crust will eventually start to wear off and "weather". It takes a lot of deer turds, 10,000 to be exact, to find one Sutter's Mill, but the payback is sweet.

Keep looking down,

bill peters

Bill,

Maybe I can be lucky like this guy and see one go by when parachuting.

Rick!

I still remember when you walked up to us! Funny....I was busy checking out the nug you had! Yes indeed good times!

Jim

Hey All,

Did the radar returns for the Sutters Mill Fall ever get reworked, or had any additions/changes?

Ben

Jim,

My wife still calls me names for showing the gold to you in that video. Very funny.

Ben, haven't seen any new radar images, they did realign the strewn field after our posting of the finds to the east. Narrowed it down some. Northern edge goes along our property line now.

Hi GeoJack,

Thanks, for the update. please post a few photos of the stones if you can.

Ben

post-25522-0-19578300-1397142854_thumb.j

two days of searching the roadsides.

post-25522-0-80152500-1397142966_thumb.j

Wife's stone shown on Wikipedia.

Jim, if you ever visit the area please let me know so we can share a brew and I'll put you out on the claim if you want.

Great finds!

Hey GeoJack,

Thanks for posting pics. VERY nice!

Ben

Hi GeoJack,

Thanks for posting that file. I have spent a lot of time in that area since 1981. My wife and I had traveled that area extensively, before and after we got hitched. I remember that some parts had a lot of ground cover, and would be hard to search because of the seasonal foliage. I also remember having to keep a keen eye on the trail, because of booby-traps set by the pot farmers. I used to love picnics out at Folsom Lake, and renting Jet ski's at the confluence of the American and Sacramento Rivers, in what was rural, "West Sac", back in the day. I'm making a few trips this summer to Cali, maybe I can work in some search time, too.

Thanks, Ben

attachicon.gifDSCF2733.JPG

two days of searching the roadsides.

attachicon.gif1335544354954.jpg

Wife's stone shown on Wikipedia.

Jim, if you ever visit the area please let me know so we can share a brew and I'll put you out on the claim if you want.

Hi Jack!

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it and I will indeed look you up! Yeah, I often think of that video. Here you walk up with a killer meteorite, Ruben is about to have a heart attack and we go off in lala land talking gold. Gawd, we are sick sick sick! :thumbsupanim Seriously, that was a nice nug!

I contend many more meteorites would have been found if it were not for the grass and the thick brush areas.

Jim

Jim,

We were kind of hoping for some control burns in the area to clean up some underbrush but those in charge haven't done that yet and mother nature is being kind and not taking this on either. I am sure there is plenty of stones still out there. We think about it during the winter when the grass is down.