Nugget Shooter Forums

Battery/charger for mini highbanker

I picked up a small recirculating sluice/highbanker (Gold Buddy? Proline?) from my friend Dave. It runs on a T1200 pump. What would would be the best type of battery (reasonably portable) to run this with, and how would I charge it?

Thanks.

Jean

Jean,

I use a 12 volt sealed lead acid battery around 5-12 amp hour size. I also charge it with a small car 12 volt battery charger.

Dave

Edited by DolanDave

Wow, that was fast -- thanks Dave. I should have also asked where is the best place to pick up these things? Also is there a way to charge the battery out in the field (my car? solar charger? etc.)

Tx

How much power does the motor draw? Should be on a plate on the motor if not you can use a AMP meter to figure it out. Batteries are rated in Amp Hours. If you divide the battery rated Amp Hours by the Motor Use it will tell how long the battery will be good for. As for charging, a 12 volt battery can be charged from your truck. I can show you a Simple circuit to limit current so not to toast the battery with a hot charge.

Hi homefire,

Pump says 4.0 Amps @13.6 VDC Fuse is 5 AMP. Yes, that would be great to see your simple circuit to limit current. Also, is the formula Amp Hours divided by Motor use describing how many hours on a charge, or overall battery life?

Thanks.

Jean

Jean

I have run my highbanker right off my pickup battery many times and when at my trailer used a 10amp battery charger to run the highbanker, no battery at all.

Actually Homefire a vehicle already has a voltage regulator. I have put jumpers on a motorcycle straight from a vehicle with no issues

Jean 4amp x 8 hrs+ 32amp hrs but you dont want to do a complete drain on a battery so figure maybe a 100 amp battery and a 2-10amp charger If you charge overnight a 2 amp charge running all night should do the trick

Jean I use a Deep Cycle Wheel Chair Battery 35Ah. 1/2 the size and weight of regular car battery, Radio Shack have them for $80.00, I bought mine from Advanced Battery. I used it with a Keene puffer D/W . it will last a good 2 days and never has totally drained.

Be careful with this battery charge Slowly, no fast charges. I will keep a small Solar panel hooked up.

If you are in the Dez Recirculating, you will probably run out of water before the battery is dead. I hope this helps you.

Jon

If you want the Battery to have a life time you can't just charge it off your RV or Van. Unless it's in the system and stays the same all the time. The batteries and system is fully charged. It can Cook the battery. Charging a dead or low battery could Over charge too fast . You need to limit the Current it see's. You can correct that with about three parts and some work. You need a Current regulator. All it does is keep the current sink low until the battery gets to what it wants voltage wise. 13 or 14 Volts in most cases. If you just plug your dead or depleted battery in you cigarette lighter jack it can and most likely will be over amped. Battery life will be just a few months at best. You need a Regulator between the Truck and the Battery. It only takes about three parts and will save you Pain and Money.

icome out to the dessert with a fully charged battery , dig for an hour or 2 and then run what i have while im digging i put the battery on a lttle solar charger about 6 inches by 12 inches from HF and then dig some more and recharge the battery on the small solar panel stayed out for the 3 day weekend and it makes it through the whole time and never had to worry about it going dead over time

Just a rule of thumb to get longer battery life: Try never to run a lead acid battery down more than 50% before recharging (example -- a 12v battery rated at 34 ampere hours should be recharged at 17AH). And, of course, use a charger with a regulator (trickle charge function) so as not to "cook" the battery.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had experience with these 12v lithium-ion batteries:

http://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/12VoltLithiumBattery.php

Expensive, but 10x the life and 30% weight of lead-acid batteries, so they could be carried to a remote site.

Tx.

Jean

Only in Lap tops. They do NOT do heat. The refuse to charge after getting hot. I know OLD SCHOOL, I like NiCad batteries. NiMh batteries die if the freeze.

Jean, That,s way too much to spend for the smallest lith ion batt, on that site $689.00 way too much! Your pump is only 4 amps and more then likely it

wont be running for hours on end. A standard deep cycle batt is fine if you have a small hand card to lug it around.. it all depends on how long you will

be running the highbanker between batt recharges.

DAVE

Yep, Old School is better some times. Lead Acid, NiCad or what EVER. Hell you can do better with CAMP FIRE and Thermal Couples Then some batteries they sell now days..

Dave,

They have a smaller one (rv/golf cart/marine) for $159 for 7AH or $199 for 12AH. I know I have a small pump, but I'll be running a line from the stream and probably need more juice than just recirculating. Is that a reasonable assumption?

Homefire,

If you charge at home then take out in the heat, will they do okay?

Anyway, thanks -- this is all new territory for me!

Jean

Jean my 250 motorcycle has a 11AH battery but it's a wet cell and I dont think it would last to long unless you hooked a solar panel to it maybe . And if I understand you correctly you plan to run the wire from the creek up a bank ? iF so the distance will determine what size wire you would need

Jean, I didn,t notice the whole list of all batts that company makes but the 12 amphr should be fine. you,ll have to get a

battery charger for just lithium batts because they charge batt to 12.6-12.8 volts . what makes batts overheat is over amping,

or using charger not made for lithion. Those batts have built in voltage regulator which have a cut off at 9 -9.6 V which is good.

If volts drop below 9 for extended time ,it will kill the batt.

DAVE

lithium batts do not like heat. Period. They will not last you more then a few months in a 100F environment.

Use lithium battery packs, over 100 degrees you must use a wet towel on them. Live in the southern Mojave with no air-conditioning year round. Keep a wet folded towel above the battery on my lap-top.

Last summer took two lithium 18v battery packs that would not charge back to Home=Depot, They asked me if I kept them in the garage or in the house. Told them I kept them in the house, they exchanged them for new ones.

bob