Nugget Shooter Forums

Back From Africa

I am just back from Africa. The amount of gold being found all across Africa these days is amazing. In many ways, the little boom camps which spring up in many places where new finds are being made are the closest thing we will ever get to the great mining booms of the old west - its just the modernized African version with metal detectors. Its not a tourist place, so no one should think about visiting for fun. These folks are working really hard and its roughly around 100 degrees out there with high humidity each day.

As you can see from the T-shirt, I was there with Fisher Labs / First Texas, and a whole lot of the detectors in use were Fisher or Tecnetics models.

post-187-0-12135700-1396327213_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

My bud Grubby decided not to return this year to africa,SL ,but Wyatt heading over for his return to that pile a diamonds in SL with his Pops. So cool a family op soooo far from home. Glad to hear you made it home safely-John

• Like 1

Cool story Chris, Africa has to have tons of untapped resources. I never realized the size of Africa, until I saw this map.

post-1046-0-99460900-1396369747_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Chris, it looks like you made some new friends. Sounds like a great time was had by all.

I know you are glad you are home safe and sound. I'm looking forward to more pictures.

I always wanted to go over and beat there drums...but...looks like a nice group Chris.

Hey Dave, Cool map! I bet it's easy to lose your way.

Quite the adventure indeed. However if I posted a picture of all the gold I found it would be blank. It was not a trip for me to go out and detect and find me some gold. That wasn't the point of the trip.

Hi Chris,

Glad to hear you made it back safely, especially with all the stories of Americans being kidnapped. Please

tell us about the trip. What was the best part? The worst part? What was your transportation? Did you have any

encounters with wildlife? It sounds like the last frontier.

Ben

Glad to hear you made it back safely, especially with all the stories of Americans being kidnapped.

Some countries and parts of countries in Africa are more dangerous than others and we carefully avoided the parts known to be more dangerous.

Please tell us about the trip. What was the best part?

The people and the geology. The people were great and the geology fascinating.

The worst part?

We spent a lot of time driving down bumpy roads - I wish I could have had less time doing that.

What was your transportation?

Although there are no standard car rental companies like Hertz or Avis, we did rent vehicles through less standard channels.

Did you have any encounters with wildlife?

Everyone thinks of Lions, elephants, Giraffes and the like when they think of Africa. I saw none of that. We saw a few crocodiles contained behind sturdy fences (like a zoo). Other than that, all I saw were some lizards and birds.

It sounds like the last frontier.

There are lots of people in this part of the world. Its anything but abandoned and unpopulated. It is however, a region where poverty is the rule.

how many people are in that photo? Looks like the crowd goes on for miles.
Yah, there were a whole lot of folks there. Wherever we walked there were people mining as far as the eye could see (and we did do a good amount of walking around at that site). Because of trees and bush growth, as far as the eye could see was maybe only a few hundred yards, but still, there were many, many people mining there.

Is the ground all claimed, or is it every man for himself?

I honestly don't know the detailed ownership status of that particular place. The mining laws are quite different from what we are familiar with here in the US. There are a lot of places over in that part of the world where some mining company owns the mineral rights, but allows the locals to work the surface deposits (because throwing them off would cause a riot of extreme degree). The mining company moves in once the surface deposits are worked out and the locals leave, but I don't know what the case is where the picture was taken.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 month later...
17 hours ago, El Dorado said:

I knew Nigeria has some excellent  gem deposits, I never heard about the gold……

Long time no see ... I hope the jewelry business is good.

Do you guys know who this is?  haha

• Like 1

Hi Mitch, It’s certainly been awhile……all is good.  Took a long break from the jewelry to make a big move to a much more freedom loving State….North Carolina.  My new studio is up and running and I’m beginning to meet local gold and gem hunters. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Dorado said:

Hi Mitch, It’s certainly been awhile……all is good.  Took a long break from the jewelry to make a big move to a much more freedom loving State….North Carolina.  My new studio is up and running and I’m beginning to meet local gold and gem hunters. 

Wow Steve, we're sorta neighbors now, where in North Carolina are you living?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, El Dorado said:

We bought a fantastic waterfront property in New Bern….totally loving living in the South

So tired of our cold here.