Nugget Shooter Forums

This might be a stupid question

Has anybody here hunted for meteorites in the meteor crater (Winslow) area? I know there's private, state, and Indian land in the immediate vicinity, but within a 20 radius south/southwest is FS land which I presume would be open to hunting space rocks. Just curious... :idunno:

Not me but Remember the State has laid claim to any found. Indian Lands are a no go without written permission. Private Properties the same. If I found one on FS lands you would never hear about it from me.

Hi Blackbird,

There are no meteorites on State Land or Any Indian Reservation. Never has been, and never will be. Ever.

There ARE meteorites on Forest Service Lands, BLM Lands, and the Private Lands where you have secured PERMISSION

to hunt. That is an absolute.

Ben

Blackbird

"Has anybody here hunted for meteorites in the meteor crater (Winslow) area?" Yes

Much of the land around it is private.

Anything found on private land around the crater? No

According to them metorites are only found on state, fed, and BLM land. Never has been, and never will be any found on private land ever. :D AzNuggetBob

I like blue jeans with BIG Cuff's...uuuumm....ohhhhhh this is the wrong thread. srry.

In AZ, State land is off limits but everyone and the brothers sisters aunts and uncles hunt on it!

In other states, it's legal to hunt on State Land.

To answer the question, I know of people that have hunted the public lands. I could not tell you if they ever found anything.

I have heard twice people have been popped for hunting the other areas. I have yet for find any public record indicating that tho.

Jim

Hi Blackbird,

The message here is don't bother to hunt an area, unless it is legal to do so. Hunting off-limits on Federal or State lands can get you arrested, fined, jail time, and the confiscation of your metal detector/equipment, and your vehicle. Add in lawyer's fees, and you have a nightmare. Hunting someone's private land without permission can get you shot. Neither the Federal, State, or Tribal governments have anyone who will hunt for meteorites on those lands for those entities, now, or ever, so IF there were ever meteorites on those lands, they will, over time, just oxidize into the oblivion of the soil, and provide science with zero knowledge. So, you can pretty much say with confidence, that those areas don't have any meteorites now, and never will have. Besides, if there are more in the area, how are you going to map the strewnfield and ever find more, if it's an off-limits location. That would screw up any future classification, too. It's just easier to be legal.

Ben

I have a friend who grew up there. He has buckets of meteorites that weren't found there. Mumbled something about devils er sumthin...

On the other hand you can hunt the BLM and Forest lands there all you want, it's perfectly legal. But as already pointed out by the experts there are no meteorites there. Strange though that such experts fear imaginary "laws" that don't exist threatening loss of life limb and children if you ever beep there.

You think maybe someone doesn't want any competition? Keeping the goodies to themselves? :shhhhh:

Hi Clay,

I grew up in Arizona too, but that won't change the fact that ALL of Canyon Diablo is either on State Lands, or Private lands. Go for it, it's your risk, not mine. Devil's Canyon is Diablo Canyon. Go right on out there.

Ben

Hi Clay,

I grew up in Arizona too, but that won't change the fact that ALL of Canyon Diablo is either on State Lands, or Private lands. Go for it, it's your risk, not mine. Devil's Canyon is Diablo Canyon. Go right on out there.

Ben

Thanks for the invite Ben!

I don't hunt State lands nor do I hunt private lands without permission. I'll stick to the latter since there are no meteorites on BLM or Forest lands. :D

They're saving them "in their natural state" in those areas. Which tells me they have no idea what a meteorite's natural state is. Unfortunately for science and collectors all those awesome finds waiting to be discovered that don't exist are slowly eroding away and will eventually be lost forever...

I am confused!

I am confused!

What are you confused about?

I'm confused too. Just how fast does nickle "erode away"?

Many thousands of years.

Edited by Mikestang

Lucky for us the Sky Rock Gods don't much care where they throw the Rocks.

Because the Earth Turns from West to East (Hence the Sun sets in the west) you will find less that smacked the West side of a hill then the East.

Edited by homefire

I think there is enough tongue-in-cheek and sarcasm in this thread to have everyone confused!

Confucius say: Be aware of man who speaks with tongue-in-cheek! (He didn't really say that.)

Mitchel

It's a free country, do whatever you want. Just don't get caught! :D

Depends on many factors. Water is not their friend. When making thin sections of them, it's like working with charcoal.

1 day in the rain can be catastrophic to them.

Jim

Neither of those strewn fields have carbonaceous meteorite finds in them, though. As a general, CCs will not last on Earth anywhere near as long as OCs or irons. But yea, mostly there's too many factors to consider for an easy answer.

Edited by Mikestang