Nugget Shooter Forums

Kayak

Well I got a kayak...now to figure how to fish from it.

I got a 14ft Aquaterra Prism sit on top.

Anyone got advise.....never even been in or on a kayak before.

find some warm water and get in deep enough to where you can stand up and then see what it takes for you to be able to get back up on that kayak without touching the bottom You might even put a life jacket on being as when you are out in deep water you may just take an unwanted dip AND if you cant get back on I would suggest maybe another occupation.

We have an inflatable Sea Eagle 12 footer I have to do the same in being as where we were the water was coldern my bones could take but will be at warm water this Summer and if I have to big an issue you will see this slightly used kayak on Craigslist :4chsmu1:

Thanks , When the weather warms a little more I will try to sit and paddle , I will have my life jacket but at 350lbs....fat floats...tried to do some diving , not enough weight to get down. Hope this turns out to be a fun thing , I love to fish.

Hey Rick I already have love to fish as my name so you need to use LIKE to fish. :4chsmu1:

Got a couple of guys at work that got into kayaks several years ago. They have hobie pro anglers which you can stand up in after you get comfortable with them. Too much money for me to get into one of them.

I'm sticking with my 1982 livingston boat, you and me can stand up on one side and lean over the edge without it flipping over. This is not mine but it looks like this.

post-1061-0-45417600-1396131337_thumb.jp

Hi Butthead,

I like your Livingston boat. Is it affordable? I have seen add-on outriggers that people can put on their

kayaks so they can stand up in them, but thats a lot of money for an aftermarket item.

ben

They tell me, if you get a Kayak, and want to learn how to use it, you take a 2x4 and have your best friend hit you in the head with it, a couple of times! So you will know what its like to flip one and hit your head on a rock . Grubstake

I've seen a few guys and Gals too, come down the Merced, its a class 5 at the upper end, I saw one guy, even though he had a helmet on, have his face almost ripped plumb off by the time he got to Bagby, he was bleeding real bad.Not my kind of fun. Grubstake

Hi Butthead,

I like your Livingston boat. Is it affordable? I have seen add-on outriggers that people can put on their

kayaks so they can stand up in them, but thats a lot of money for an aftermarket item.

ben

Hi Ben

Mine is 13 feet when I bought it brand new in 1982 it was $1300. They make them in 9, 10, 12, 14 and 19 foot models with a few changes since I got mine. Not sure what a new one cost now but an internet search will find them for sale.

Very stable and roomy little boat.

Greg

My kayak rocks for mining,detecting and escaping reality. Get to a shallow lake,stream when warm as you ABSOLUTELY MUST teach yourself how to get back in if ya fall out. Must be from the rear,spread legs and hop your arse up,pull whatever, as you gotta master that manuever or your in deep kaka. Try from the sides is futile and just a flip and there goes your day. Best toy addition to my mining tools in years-oh I don't fish EVER as spent too many years with'm underneath the water and found they're a lot nicer than the majority of humans I've met in recent years-John

Rick ... I would be happy to come show you how to set up and more importantly teach you to self rescue should you take a dunk. Always wear a life vest ... there are many shapes and styles to choose from. I'm on my second fishing platform. My first was an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 and now have a Native Kayak Slayer 14.5 which I got after trying it out on a dealer intro prior to public sale. I have a good friend back East who is my kayak resource. I fish mostly in the ocean for Stripers but do a little sweet water large mouth fishing too. In fact will be in a kayak only tourney when I go back East in June. I'm headed to Colorado for a couple weeks come this Thursday and will be back April 15 or thereabouts ... Happy to get together with you latter part of April if you want. Let me know ... you can post here or PM me.

Mike F

Sit-on-Top kayaks are not meant for whitewater but are very stable fishing platforms. As Mike said, always wear a PFD and have fun out there. A good highback seat is a great addition if yours does not have a good seat as standard equipment.

I just dug out my vest and hope to try it out. Not going to take anything extra on the first try. Just going to see if I can float and paddle while staying upright , lol.

I was looking at what I think I will need to fish from it. Has dry storage on both ends.

Hey Rick ... Could you take a couple pics of your kayak ... side view and more importantly top view ... Not sure exactly which model Aqua Terra you have. You can post here or if easier you can email me directly to: azprospecta@gmail.com ... Once I have the picture I can advise you on how to set up a fishing platform that should work well for you.

Mike F

SL ... That looks like my old Ocean Kayak Trident set-up. I haven't taken a picture of my Slayer set up yet as it is still a work in process ... BUT ... MUST be completed before May 8th when I head for the stripers in NH. I'll post once the final set-up is complete.

Rick ... Your boat doesn't really lend itself to what SL posted ... and how I set up my boats ... but with some thought it can be a formidable fishing platform. You will have to be willing to drill into the hull and insert fixed rod holders.

Mike F

I plan on 2 flush mounts behind the seat and a top mount on the "console" , a paddle holder on the side and an anchor trolley.