Nugget Shooter Forums

gold basin nugget hunting

Frank do yourself a favor and order a map of Gold basin from Uncle Ron....his maps show club claims...

I have had limited success in the basin finding gold- pretty good success finding meteorites. Others have found patches and big nuggets; so...you never know. The ground is not bad but there are some pesky sheisty hot rocks...also meteorites...

What detectors will you be using?

fred

I am told by those better and wiser that size matters in the basin, ie; pi with large coil...

That said, The Preacher's Wife (a friend of a friend) and a rank beginner found a little two tenths of a gram nugget with a Tesoro ST and stock coil and a nice 80 gram meteorite in a well pounded area just two weeks ago...

fred

Gold detecting in the basin is not for the "faint of heart".

Perseverance is a necessity.

X2

There have been some large nuggets pulled out of the basin and 'near the basin' and I don't know the largest. A couple of guys I have met in GSSN are in the 3-4 oz range.

What has been the largest anyone is aware of on the 'flats and hills' but not from a mine?

Mitchel

Gold Basin isn't known for big gold, but right on the other side of the hill, King Tut Area is. There was a fellow who found a nice 80 ounce nugget there 20 years ago.

hi Fred what search head do you think would work best for me for nuggets. it will have to fit my exterra 70. i dont know much about search heads. any help would be good. im looking to buy a keene dry washer.im looking at the 140 with the hvs hi vac system. i can buy it for 1,o5o.oo

Frank; as with many things , it depends on your needs, skill and desires...all the 18.75Hertz DD coils are good for nugget hunting...I recently helped a gentleman that showed up in Gold basin how to gb his detector...he had a 6 inch round dd that was easy to gb and seemed very sensitive- you won't cover much ground with that but it will be pretty sensitive...I like elpytical coils...but for gound coverage you may want the 10.5 round dd...especially if you can use it at the beach when you go home...

That Wot coil you were asking about might work if your main interest is coverage...I have never used one...

The xterra is not the best vlf for nugget hunting but it is pretty good; especially since that is what you have.

fred