Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nathan Johnson

Minelab GPX 4000 problems

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased at used Minelab GPX 4000 and used it for 1 day before it went down.

I checked the voltage from the battery through the cable - reads around 8 volts. The battery shows a full charge with a green light. I cleaned all connectors.

Using the push button, the unit will not turn on, show any digital readouts or make any noises.

I had a big trip planned this next week and I know that Minelab probably would not be able to get it back to me in time.

I am wondering if there are any home fixes or advice one can refer?

The unit is way outside of its warranty.

Thanks in advance!

Nathan

I remember hearing the early 4000s had issues with the pushbutton Power swx.

Maybe you can find another Swx at a electronic supply or ask Minelab to mail you one and solder it in.

No, that won't work, they are connected directly to the circuit board. Try playing with the switch, push it in, and let it pop out really fast, I did mine like that, it would work most of the time, But I finally had to send it in. Grubstake

Sorry for your troubles but grubby is right....send it in is the only way for a sure fix.

Probably the switch. Try a different power cord to be sure. I have resurrected a a few of the push button switches with electric contact cleaner but you will eventually have to have it replaced.

I agree with the above advise....

Keep us posted Nathan on how it goes....

Let us know how you make out Nathan, good luck an hapy huntn

I remember hearing the early 4000s had issues with the pushbutton Power swx.

Maybe you can find another Swx at a electronic supply or ask Minelab to mail you one and solder it in.

One day my dad an I was out at rich hill when I convinced him to put away his VLF and try his 4000. His 4000 did just as described above and would not power on at all, we thought maybe he just forgot to charge the battery. We packet up and drove down to the local dealer and asked some questions and let him test the 4000 with a known working (just powered a for sale unit). That's when the dealer told us about the 4000's power button issue and he showed us one that had been fixed with the 4500 type switch. I ended up trading in my 3000 for a new 5000 and after dad got his new 5000 I talked him into contacting mine lab about fixing the 4000 so he can sell it.

The Long Story condenced is that Mine lab refused to sell and mail the switch to us for us to do the repair. Their e-mail reply gave only two options send the control box to them for the repair $125.00 (if only the switch needs replaced), or have a dealer requisition the $125.00 switch and do the repair for us locally. Needless to say dad was not happy that a similar switch at a hardware/ electronics store is $3-$15 bucks and Mine Lab wants $125 bucks because theirs came in a bag labeled Mine Lab.