Nugget Shooter Forums

How long for a jet hose?

Steel Pan

Your engine size and pump size/model/mfgr predicates the length of hose you able to run. You say the jet is 6" out of water?? Is that the jet end or the inductor jetlog is 6" outta water(dangerous as blasts out the box,loses prime ,lousy suction) ?? What size blaster hose/nozzle also as uses quite a bit of water/psi also. They sell'm(keene/proline/nugget/othere) with 10' of hose but I much prefer a 12' with a swivel nozzle myself as gets ya away from engine noise completely-- John

I'm using a "Gravitational Reclamation and Redistribution Apparatus". :old:

No gas, no oil,...and,.... no noise. :shhhhh:

"Gravitational" 115' of drop, equating aprox 57 psi, in a 3" line necked down to 1 1/2" at the 3" Jet.

Using 3" hose for "reclaiming" material, and THAT hose length is the question.

Right now I have 16' of hose, just looks a little long. :idunno:

I'm thinkin' though, as long as I don't have a bunch of "Nessy" humps in the line, and

I keep the distance in height between the surface of the water and the jet/sluice to a minimum, I should

be O.K. Once the material rises above the surface of the water, boyancy no longer comes into play. :89:

AND, I'm still pushin'/suckin' a lot of water through the line. :aw-shucks:

Underwater Classification Apparatus,...Hmmm ? :89:

:idea:...and still doubles as a fish feeder! :brows:

"Gravitational Underwater Reclamation, Classification, Redistribution, and Fish Feeding Apparatus." :00000067:

Have you used it yet or still planning stage?? Simple to anchor underwater box with a 5 lb weight at each corner to adhere to bottom. You can also use a engine and blast into them BUT use a 1" soft foam to seal your wide mouth sluice underneath on the bedrock or your gold goes under and not in. Many ways to play but I much prefer jetless just SUCK'M UP--John

I'm usin' a modified suction nozzle.

It mounts ON/IN the sluice.

I was just BS'n about an underwater sluice.

Sluice is on a four legged stand instead of floats.

Emergency has come up and I have to leave for Colorado.

Should be back in around a week.

THEN I'll go up to the claim and take a few pics of my "contraption".

Are you using a suction nozzle attached to the header box and the suction hose then to the water and goods?

Yessiree, that's what's in the works. :brows:

I have about 2' of hose from the nozzle to the headerbox and 16' of hose available for the business end. :4chsmu1:

Any ideas or pointers are most welcome. :old:

Gravity drive is a real joy ... No noise, no gas to mess with ... I ran a 3" for a couple years that way and got really spoiled ... I used a jet nozzle and I only had about 35' of head running it ... I ran with a 20' length of suction hose so I was able to work a lot of ground without having to move the sluice .... you actually can work right at the bank partially out of water 'cause you don't ever lose your prime ... That really fed the fish ... The only reason I had to surface was to clear the tailings and, of course, pluck out the big nuggets ... You're gonna love it! ... WTG ... Looking forward to the pix ... Cheers, Unc

P.S. Here's a link to one type of gravity dredge where you suck gravel at the top of the drop not using any type of venturi device ... I did that for a while but found plug ups would happen and you had to run all the way down the length of your drop to find and unplug the hose ... Letting the water drop drive your suction nozzle or jet is far easier ... Having run all three styles, the suction nozzle is my fav hands down!

Edited by Uncle Ron

Gravity drive is a real joy ... No noise, no gas to mess with ... I ran a 3" for a couple years that way and got really spoiled ... I used a jet nozzle and I only had about 35' of head running it ... I ran with a 20' length of suction hose so I was able to work a lot of ground without having to move the sluice .... you actually can work right at the bank partially out of water 'cause you don't ever lose your prime ... That really fed the fish ... The only reason I had to surface was to clear the tailings and, of course, pluck out the big nuggets ... You're gonna love it! ... WTG ... Looking forward to the pix ... Cheers, Unc

P.S. Here's a link to one type of gravity dredge where you suck gravel at the top of the drop not using any type of venturi device ... I did that for a while but found plug ups would happen and you had to run all the way down the length of your drop to find and unplug the hose ... Letting the water drop drive your suction nozzle or jet is far easier ... Having run all three styles, the suction nozzle is my fav hands down!

I used that same diagram to get started. :brows:

I have the water inflow up top and the "apparatus" set up at the bottom.

Been runnin' nozzles but his year goin' to the jet. Like to, not to have

to be draggin' around two hoses and nozzle. :4chsmu1:

oops ... double post ....Here's my feeble attempt to use "Paint" to do a quick and dirty sketch ... I used firehose between the bottom of the rigid pipe to the suction nozzle and found it worked better for me than the keene jet ... Cheers, Unc

post-9-0-08173700-1395969570_thumb.jpg

Edited by Uncle Ron

oops ... double post ....Here's my feeble attempt to use "Paint" to do a quick and dirty sketch ... I used firehose between the bottom of the rigid pipe to the suction nozzle and found it worked better for me than the keene jet ... Cheers, Unc

Unc I took care of your double post....

According to the BLM site it has to be "casual" mining or you need a plan (NOI) and possibly a permit and bond. I'm still trying to find exactly what their explanation of what casual is? Oh here we go: "Casual use is defined as those activities that cause little or no surface disturbance (43 CFR 3809.5(1&2))". I could do that with a gold pan and a shovel???????

I was told by Mr. Ranger and checked on the BLM site too. motorized been changed too, now it's no Mechanized or mechanical equipment (moving parts)on BLM land. if so that would/could include a hand crank drywasher and no hydraulicing. they may try and twist that so it fits your gravity operation too. never under estimate them.

Im not saying their going to enforce it but it leaves the door open.

AzNuggetBob

Yep, they're about to define taking a leak as "mechanized ground sluicing" ... You wait and see!!!!! ... Cheers, Unc

Yep, they're about to define taking a leak as "mechanized ground sluicing" ... You wait and see!!!!! ... Cheers, Unc

:D Dont give them any Ideas Ron, although it may already fall under their waste managment statutes??? not only that but I'm already going blind trying to read and understand all their regulations. :grr01: AzNuggetBob

Sorry Steel Pan I got carried away talking about the BLM.

I saw a table in one of my engineering books awhile back but I cant find it. check some engineering books online or at your local library. As I recall It has somthing to do with the the head pressure multiplied by the venturi size divided by the hose size equals possible lengths and even possible raised grades.? If I find it I'll put it here.

Too much BLM reading Im running out of brain cells. one more BLM regulation and I may forget my own name.

Az ugget ob

BELIEVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TILL PROVIDED IN WRITING ON OFFICIAL STATIONARY- rangers speak with forked tongues and lie by the minute to restrict mining in any way they PERCEIVE to interpert the regs. Not in writing is pure BS :evil1: John