Nugget Shooter Forums

Favorite mapping program for phone/GPS

I have to say that I still, prefer paper maps above anything, but I am definitely starting to appreciate some of the newer "stuff" available today. I have been using an app on my smartphone called GAIA GPS, it has the 1:24,000 USGS maps and will show your current location on them. It really is a handy tool for quickly checking your location when you are out on a hike. You can switch between the map layer and a satellite layer.

The only think I wish it did have was a land ownership layer. Also, it absolutely devours my battery when I use it, so much so that I bring a backup battery powered phone charger with me.

What do you guys use?

I like to use iHike, you can used either 1/24000 USGS Maps or Forest service maps. It does not require a cell phone hook up for use if your smart device has internal GPS. has waypoints, tracks and routes.....

You do need a good cell signal or Wi-Fi to download maps. It's real nice to have real Topo maps

Edited by El Dorado