Nugget Shooter Forums

Opinions needed on 2 possible Iron Meteorites.

I'm fairly new at meteorite collecting (3 two day trips to Franconia over the last 2 years with success on each day with irons, OC, and ablation/micro meteorite spheres).

Recently I took my God Bug 2 out to an area about a half hour from Lavic, CA in the Mojave Desert to look for cold finds. I found the 2 possible irons (see 2 photos for each one).

They tested high in nickel and are extremely magnetic, but I could not get any Widmanstatten lines from etching them. I know that because these are small, the lines may not be apparent, and that rare iron types won't show the lines. Note: one photo shows the window put into the piece before etching took place.

Can anyone give me their opinions from the photos or suggestions for further tests?

post-27159-0-71896300-1395177577_thumb.j

post-27159-0-98637600-1395177588_thumb.j

post-27159-0-36074100-1395177610_thumb.j

post-27159-0-52941200-1395177629_thumb.j

Please provide the assay lab results showing nickel percentage. If you used a home test kit, those are not accurate at all to the level necessary for meteorite identification. I don't see anything that makes me think they're meteorites, more than likely just some made-made iron chunks.

Mike....this piece (other than the shape) is identical to the "iron" that I have that you looked at. Same outside characteristics, same coloration, and that same shiny metal on the inside that doesn't seem to rust. After all of the tests that I have done that ended up NOT showing a positive ID for meteorite on mine, I am going to say no as well. BUT I could be wrong.

Thanks Mikestang and Chris Coffee.

The texture on these and the shape of the first one matches many of the Franconia Iron Meteorites that I've seen (which doesn't mean that it is a meteorite). Unfortunately I see no characteristics (like roll over lips, etc.) to help prove an iton or man made features to disprove an iron. It is good to hear about the "iron" (probable non iron) that you found Chris as a comparison.

I had run the home nickel test to rule out the obvious no nickel/meteorite-wrong (knowing that it would not prove it to be a meteorite), and so I don't have a % of nickel.

Do either of you know of any other tests that could be more conclusive that I could run myself (especially ones that would distinguish between man made metal and an iron meteorite? Mikestang, do you run the % nickel test yourself or do you have a lab run the test for you?

I've only had the need to do a % nickel test twice and I had a local assay lab shoot one sample for me, then subsequently I met someone with access to an XRF gun and had him shoot my other sample.

If you know of anyone with access to an XRF gun that would be the simplest way to check terrestrial vs. man made, an iron meteorite will be 5-15% nickel typically.

Edited by Mikestang

I have a feeling these are not meteorites but it's pretty cheap to have it XRF'd to look for Ni. You could try etching one of those. Are you Jim Winn's buddy? If so, he has the etching stuff...I think.

Jim

Thanks Mike, and Jim. I've started checking on the XRF test. Do you know what would be a good price for this test? Also, how big of a sample is needed?

Jim, yes, I'm Jim Winn's buddy. He has been a great teacher, adding to my success. I used his Gold Bug 1 on the first 2 trips and then I bought a Gold Bug 2 for my 3rd trip to Franconia.

I have the etching solution, and did try etching these with no success (which strongly leans toward a meteor-wrong). I know that because these are small, the lines may not be apparent, and that rare iron types won't show the lines. Note: one photo shows the window put into the piece before etching took place. Just trying to cover my bases. Thanks.

I thought I posted this yesterday. XRF testing is between $5 and $10. Email me. jim.wooddell at suddenlink.net.

Jim