Nugget Shooter Forums
Tigger

Curious....about Rattlesnakes

Here's a good tip: My favorite time for mining here, Southern Mojave, is the summer months, at the hottest time of the day. Wear extra clothing, floppy-hat with a wet towel over your ears and the rest of your body will not sweat, including your feet. Let that towel get dry and your body starts sweating immediately. Use more water keeping the towel wet than I do drinking.

What's great is, the BLM Guys will not bother me, they do in the winter months when I camp more than 14 days in one spot, in the summer can spend over two-three months in one spot.

bob

I am 72 yoa just to give you a time frame. When I was a boy my dad and I were camped about 45 miles northwest of Gerlach Nevada and my dad made a large loop in his catch rope and put it around our bedrolls, when I ask why he said to keep the Rattlers out. He went on to tell me when he was a young man working for the Fly Ranch he was camped in the mountians he woke up with a Rattle Snake in his bed roll....He said he did not know if the rope worked but never had a snake in his bed since he started putting the rope around the bedrolls..............Idaho Al :brows:

• Like 1

Homefire

The bug in your photo is known as a child of the earth bug,and Jeruslum cricket,but is more

commonly known as a potato bug. They are not poison,but do have a heavy duty bite. Their

favorite food is the Nightshade plant. Potatos are related to the nightshade group of plants.

That is where the myth of them being poison comes from. People figured anything that could

live on poison plants ,had to be poison too.

I'm seriously thinkin bout getting some logging/snake boots. The last foray for baubbleite( and cutting 4 truck loads of wood) had me itching like crazy from all the carpenter ant bites on my shins and calves. I was very wary busting through lots of scrub oak to get to the base of some dead pinyon and juniper that needed to go down. Many times I was standing/cutting on dead snags/brush piled thick- great hideout for slitthery things.

I found some at DIck's SportingGOods( can't really afford true logger boots nor do I want all that stiffness/weight. ) Just a little more protection than standard height Goodyear welted, leather hiking boots. Granted, these look like they're injection molded, but I'm willing to compromise , as that is a lighter form of construction.

THis boot has some good reviews, though it's understandable that they can get hot. Better hot than bit, I guess

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13148740

pDSP1-13286010p275w.jpg

Or those tiny land lobsters disguised as SCORPIONS :yikes:

Saw a few crawling across the ground inside our screenhouse we set up @ Baubleite Central,AZ and one more that wanted to get folded up in same so he/she could emigrate to CAli.

Mike I can relate to Jim, Im not a big fan of spiders that cast a big shadow. I used to sleep on the ground but not much anymore.

Hey guy`s,

Heres a couple wicked looking beetles I have from Northern Arizona....They are a species of Rhinoceros Beetle.... These particular ones are real easy to take care of :4chsmu1:

Threw a penny in there for scale....

003_zpse3210d86.jpg

Edited by adam

Look like something from a Si Fi movie.

Here's one that took such a liking to me that I could hold it in my hand......

post-27038-0-76398700-1402957726_thumb.j

post-27038-0-83461800-1402957750_thumb.j

:brows: Uh, that's not the dangerous end..

YOu weren't speaking in tongues/ dancing, were you?

:brows: Uh, that's not the dangerous end..

YOu weren't speaking in tongues/ dancing, were you?

I was wondering why he has his arm stretched out so far? :89:

As Patrick mentioned there are folks who train dogs to avoid snakes. I took my Aussie to a fellow in New River, Az. His name is Jim ?, and his business is "Viper Voidance" I believe. He has a lot of experience and is quite a character to boot.... The training only takes about thirty minutes and he will retest your animal to see if the training sticks at no cost if you bring the dog back at a later date. If I can find his card I will post his info. Probably find him on Gooooglee....

Jeff

As Patrick mentioned there are folks who train dogs to avoid snakes. I took my Aussie to a fellow in New River, Az. His name is Jim ?, and his business is "Viper Voidance" I believe. He has a lot of experience and is quite a character to boot.... The training only takes about thirty minutes and he will retest your animal to see if the training sticks at no cost if you bring the dog back at a later date. If I can find his card I will post his info. Probably find him on Gooooglee....

Jeff

Jim is great and his training really works ... He trained our Shadow Patch and when we went for the follow up a month later, Patch would not get within 30 feet of the rattler ... I highly recommend his service!!!! 60 bucks is cheap! ... Cheers, Unc

Training is Real good for dogs. Especially the City Slicker Dogs that aren't exposed to the wilds so much. I'm lucky my two dogs Freak out and stay away from any snakes. Dogs make mistakes too. Going Bunkers sticking there head in the wrong place. Rampaging through the Brush and Rocks.

Curious how they do it... my guess: a fake rattler with a mousetrap built into the mouth.

Yep Jim has a stout cage with double wire mesh set in the yard, walks the dog up from downwind so they get the scent, then the buzz and WHAMO on the shock collar then RUN, defiantly makes an impression.

LOL! Like A Spanking in the good ol days it does wonders! No Real Damage but leaves a Impression. I got Smacked down by two police one time because my 2 week old Honda 750K model purchased from the Honda of Tucson had a Funky Plate they said came from a stolen Bike. That Left A Impression. Biting Police car Grill can do that.

Jim is great and his training really works ... He trained our Shadow Patch and when we went for the follow up a month later, Patch would not get within 30 feet of the rattler ... I highly recommend his service!!!! 60 bucks is cheap! ... Cheers, Unc

Do you know Jims contact info?_____ I live in new river and would like to contact him for my dog.

Thanks for any help,

Joe

Here's Jim's website .... Gives you all the particulars and contact info ... Cheers, Unc