Nugget Shooter Forums
Tigger

Curious....about Rattlesnakes

Hell of an experience Bob, an YES great thing you were not alone that day.

Will do for sure AZ... :4chsmu1:

In 60+ years a grubbn' in the deserts,forest and everywhere in between I can assure you of 2 things NEVER underestimate the distance capacity of a snake trying to bite and forget that bs on your detector attracting snakes. Motion,sound both will help to warn the snake of your presence LONG before you show. They don't like to attack something so large as a human but when push come to shove nasty devils they are. Many close calls but lucky so far as carry a walking stick . Sidewinder and timber rattlers seem ,to me anyhow,to have a aggressive streak and will pursue at times of the year. Anyhow Mr. No Shoulders die when I see them as plenty of others to fill the niche. I stock all my claims with as many gopher,king,black and water snakes I can find,sure makes a difference-John

I love it when it warms up, but it's kind of bitter sweet because now my poor dog has to stay home instead of hiking the hills with me. She hates being left but after I see the first snake of the year, her mining season is over. Great posts guys, those were some harrowing ordeals for sure. I remember reading about Ron's dog a while back, I was really bummed to read that she didn't recover from it after a few days of getting better. Getting ready to go walk the dog for about two miles before leaving her home so I do to feel too bad about it.post-26514-0-73237100-1395149815_thumb.j

• Like 1

There are a number of folks here on the forum who have taken their dogs to "Rattlesnake Avoidance Training". I've used it, and can vouch for its success, as can many others.

Do a search and see where you might be able to find this service. Many times it's done at local Humane Society locations.

It's inexpensive, and IT WORKS !!!

Patrick .....

Edited by Patrick in Havasu

Bottom Line:

Rattle Snakes are Not Evil.

They Don't like being Stepped on and are Quite Grumpy.

They are Somewhat unpredictable.

They Can and Will Kick your Butt if you don't pay attention.

The Big Ones taste quite good.

Edited by homefire

Hey....thanks to all who contributed and Bob sure glad you are still with us and were able to share that story....so guess out there, many more encounters with them than I have where I'm at....thanks again all...Guess I'll have to look into some gaithers if ever I get out that way.......Tigger

Yea you have to watch out I came across a two foot coon tail on Sunday watch your step out in the field ppl and if you cut the head off dig a hole and bury it

post-27076-0-47709400-1395212101_thumb.j

As a native Arizonian for 70+ years I've seen my share of the snakes Arizona has to offer (I don't live downtown). I have a simple rule for poisonous snakes. If the snake is leaving the area he is pretty safe, however if he's holding or coming my way he's going to have a bad day. Over the years I've lost 2 good dogs to snakes, which I consider a terrible loss. Neither were aggressive towards snakes, just too close to the snake and got bit by a creature that has the ability to kill you and has no remorse. I can't think of a reasonable excuse to make for a snake that attacks other animals that pose no threat to their existence. "to each his own"

• Like 1

True BS here. I stepped on a snake early in the morning . I thought I stepped on a Cow Paddy. It just kinda gooshed under my foot. I looked down and it was a darn Rattle Snake that was too cold to do anything about it.

One time I was just walking up a Wash and got close to the edge. A Rattler Grabbed me by the toe of my Boot and it's fangs hung on. I was Chitting my self trying to hold my leg out and shake it off and fly at the same time.. It did come off leaving a Fang stuck in my boot. It went one way and I Jumped up about 6ft flying the other.

Edited by homefire

Hey....thanks to all who contributed and Bob sure glad you are still with us and were able to share that story....so guess out there, many more encounters with them than I have where I'm at....thanks again all...Guess I'll have to look into some gaithers if ever I get out that way.......Tigger

I use Turtle Skin snake guards and I swear by them. Not only are they good for the snakes, they work good on those darn sticker bushes I always get snagged by.

Watch the video on this page: http://www.turtleskin.com/Snake-Bites.aspx

Hi Jim,

That's an awesome video, and they look to be very light weight. Do they Breathe?

Most snake gaiters cost about $55 to $65, so they're kind of pricey, but I'd be interested

if they breathe better than the nylon ones.

Ben

post-26382-0-92581500-1395297969_thumb.jHey guys some times I use chaps. they have their advantages too. I ride dirt bikes but even on a quad or walking through nasty brush (cat claw) or cactus they work well to protect your legs but they are hot in the summer time, they are also water-proof, so I also use them in the winter time too. :89: Here is a photo of them. I had them modded by my local boot repair friend and had him sew in velcro because the big brass zippers were giving to many falses as I walked. as far as I know the newer ones have nylon zippers, make sure you check..

They do make snake boots that come up to your knees made of high denier nylon and water-proof linning but imagine wearing rubber boots in the sun, very hot I've tryed them. I recommend good hunting boots and gaiters in the summer but for cactus and staying warm they work great in the winter too.. AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 1

Hi Ben,

The company claims they breathe but I do not think they do that well. They are very

light weight and flexible and I tend to forget they are on. I have driven all the way home

from a hunt and Wendy will ask me if I am ever going to take them off!My pant legs are

generally wet when I take them off in the summer. It is the only kind

I would recommend. They are washable too! And, Made in America, which is a personal requirement!

You know those sticker bushes at Franconia? These things slide right by them. The rest of

of me looks like I was used as a pin cushion! I swear, if there was one sticker bush in the middle

of a dry lake, I'd run into it!

Jim

Hi Jim,

That's an awesome video, and they look to be very light weight. Do they Breathe?

Most snake gaiters cost about $55 to $65, so they're kind of pricey, but I'd be interested

if they breathe better than the nylon ones.

Ben

The first set I bought were out of a wildland firefighter catalog I had. I think they were made by Forester. I never read the specs on them but they were an approved type for firefighters. Well, they had the worst strap system in the world and the very first time I went out with them all I heard, as I walked, was zip zip zip zip zip. The dang things had brass screen as a layer between the cloth!

After a lot of research, the next set were Turtle Skins and I like them!

I think they are all hot in the summer. Not sure you can get around that issue much.

attachicon.gifchaps 002.JPGHey guys some times I use chaps. they have their advantages too. I ride dirt bikes but even on a quad or walking through nasty brush (cat claw) or cactus they work well to protect your legs but they are hot in the summer time, they are also water-proof, so I also use them in the winter time too. :89: Here is a photo of them. I had them modded by my local boot repair friend and had him sew in velcro because the big brass zippers were giving to many falses as I walked. as far as I know the newer ones have nylon zippers, make sure you check..

They do make snake boots that come up to your knees made of high denier nylon and water-proof linning but imagine wearing rubber boots in the sun, very hot I've tryed them. I recommend good hunting boots and gaiters in the summer but for cactus and staying warm they work great in the winter too.. AzNuggetBob

So, as far as protection goes, we know by reading the statistics on bites, most bites
occur on the ankles, feet and hands. Most of the time it is an adult male that gets bit.
And much of the time alcohol is involved and they are messing with the snake.

So, if we protect out ankles, feet and hands, change genders and stop drinking, we should all be okay! :laught16:

Well, I sure the ________ wont change genders and I don't drink that much and I don't mess with snakes or any

wild critter for that matter.

I've seen guys wearing gaiters and tennis shoes and tend to think that's like cutting off the end of a condom before slipping it on. :Diggin_a_hole:

Military Desert boots can be bad too. They are not designed for snake protection and most of them are designed for running, so they have

cordura or some other material a fang can go right through.

So, gaiters or chaps, good solid leather boots will protect the ankles and feet. Gloves will help protect your hands.

But paying attention where we put out feet and hands is the best protection of all.

I have zero tolerance for snakes around people and pets. I tend to have the same tolerance for spiders too.

Jim

Jim I can just see you now ... drawing the 44 magnum loaded with snake shot firing at a spider ... yup that is a picture I can see clearly and at it I am LMAO! :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::yesss::old:

• Like 1

Mike I can relate to Jim, Im not a big fan of spiders that cast a big shadow. I used to sleep on the ground but not much anymore. I dont think Id get out my gun but I might pick up a big stick :D kinda like chucking those 4" long Morman crickets outa your sleeping bag up in N. Nevada. :nutty:

you would run out of ammo on the crickets. millions of them when they migrate. they cover the ground. We usually just leave the area and just go hit another spot miles away. hard to concentrate on hunting with them running over your boots. :wee:
:D AzNuggetBob
  • Like 1

Ah crickets! Man do I have a story there! But I''ll wait until the "Scariest Thing That Crawled in the Sack with You" thread. :Just_Cuz_06:

Live Mormon Crickets fetch 25 cents apiece from fishermen fishing for squawfish on the Columbia and Snake Rivers in WA & OR. It is illegal to transport live ones across state lines :200: but they can be blanched (boiled for 30 seconds in water with a touch of garlic powder), drained and then frozen in quart sized ziplock baggies of 100 and will still fetch good money. A folded paper towel in each frozen baggie helps keep them in good condition.

The hard part is keeping them from eating each other after you catch them. Putting 20 or 25 live crickets in a gallon ziplock with a couple paper towels and immediately putting the bag on ice will make them last a week. Folding the bag and removing most of the air lets you put more bags in the cooler.

If anyone wants to make some money this summer, send me a PM.

Never seen one until I got here in New Mexico. Ugly Sum Biskets. Oh, they chomp most well too. Here they call them Child of the Earth.

post-21985-0-87103900-1395420339_thumb.j

• Like 1

Ah crickets! Man do I have a story there! But I''ll wait until the "Scariest Thing That Crawled in the Sack with You" thread. :Just_Cuz_06:

Jim, as I recall, her name was Lucy.....

Patrick .....

• Like 1

Hey Homefire,

Once in a while we see those huge Japanese Beetles here in Phoenix, but only during the July/August monsoon dust storms. Even our killer dogs and cats won't go near them! They creep me out!

Ben