Nugget Shooter Forums

GP3500 huge issue! Plz help!

lsdig

Hello friends,

I have been using my GP3500 for about 1 year with no problems. The last time i tried to use the detector, it showed a strange behavior.. when i turned it on, the sounds were crazy, like a huge interference and i tried a lot of configurations with no changes, none of the buttons seemed to work... after a few minutes the detector stoped to work. Now, when i try to turn it on, i can hear only a veeery low tone (really low) and it doesn't beep when over some metal piece... volume, threshould and other buttons doesn's work (the only button that works is the "Tone"). Tried 3 different batteries (2 are brand new and fully charged for 1 day before the tests) and 3 different coils, same problem.

I don't know what is going on ... can someone help me??

Thank you,

Rodrigo

Edited by lsdig

Rodrigo, do you remember ever finding the coil lead wire being unplugged from the control box when the POWER was turned on ????

Also are you positive you have a genuine Mnelab product ??
Have you verified it ?
Was it bought from an Authorized Minelab dealer ??

Hi frank,

Well, I am not sure if the coil wire was unplugged when the power was turned on but it's very improbable, and i am sure it's a genuine product. Don (garimpo) knows my detector!

I think it maybe be a problem with the piece where the battery goes on (i use these small batteries). But the lights turns on and the detector seems to be powered... i don't know IF correctly powered.

Edited by lsdig

Which battery system are you using ??
If it is the sony camcorder batt, check the contact "cups" with a volt meter for voltage. A nd to see if they are loose or missing.
Also if it is the pocket rocket system "sony camcord batts" look at the contact cups on the battery I have had one in the past that the "cup" contact came off the battery and was stuck on the contact "pin" of the base and the batt wasn't making contact till I remedied the situation.
You may need to access the inside of the connectors of the coil and battery ends of the control box and cord ends to visually inspect for broken or shorted wires and or contact points.
Also if you have access to a "stock" battery system hook that up and see if there is any difference.
If all this fails send it in to the factory repair center I guess

If that doesn't fix it Rod bring it up here before sending it in and we'll do some more checking. We'll start with a brand new battery first and a new coil.

The repair center here in Uruacu may be able to help also....

frank,

i'm using the sony 7.2V batteries, with a coiltek "li-ion regulated system", where the battery goes on. I tested the batteries with a voltmeter and the results were strange: 2 batteries with exactly 2.09V and the other 8.02V. The contact pins are normal, nothing wrong.

klunker,

tested with 3 different coils :( ... 3 issues coils??? improbable

grubstake,

tested with 2 different power cords... 2 issued cords??? improbable

garimpo,

let me see when i'll have time to go to Uruacu, then i tell you ok???

the strange part of all this, was when i tried to use the detector on field...when i turned it on, immediately it showed a strange behavior, the sound was crazy like a big interference (but still loud)... tried the button that cancels interferences and after the 1 minute nothing happens. Then i turned off the detector and it never worked again.

hahaha Don, i only drink imported beers now, i hope you dont worry about it :thumbsupanim ... i'm thinking to go this week, how it sounds??

John, one of our qualities as human beings is to help other human beings :yesss:

tested everything possible with Don, nothing had worked :( ... now the detector is at a "repair center". When i got news from the technician, i'll back with a feedback

Isdig pretty much said it all.....we switched everything out and still only got a small hum that was the energy from the battery.

It wouldn't pick up the car even, none of the switches worked.

Now have to wait and see what the repair guy says.

Don't have the specifics but the best I can remember it was related to havin the machine turned on without the coil wire plugged in.
Ended up costin him but they got it back in perfect workin order.

When are you supposed to get word on yours ??

Edited by frank c

Isdig and Frank I went by the repair shop today about 1700 hours and the repair man was in the city 20 miles North of here. The wife didn't know what the status of the 3500 is.

I was there also yesterday and they also had a GPX 4500 in for repair.

Don't have the specifics but the best I can remember it was related to havin the machine turned on without the coil wire plugged in.

Ended up costin him but they got it back in perfect workin order.

When are you supposed to get word on yours ??

Was that turned on without it being plug in or turned on and then plugging in te tthe coil wire?

The later makes sense. The former gives me pause.

Don---would be interested in what repair cost were.