Nugget Shooter Forums

Between Patch Syndrome

I am wondering how you guys/gals deal with the period between a finished or cleaned up gold patch and the search for a new one? Personally, this period of searching for a new patch can be dishearting for me....the images of gold I have pulled out haunt me.... :barnie: when I am searching for new grounds and or trying to find that very first nugget that may lead to many more. So, I just continue on with hope that my 2 week Skunk period turns Golden soon. How, and what tricks do you use to keep you on that golden track.....while your in Skunkville and listening to the blues at the local pub?

Welp, weve all been there. Ive been in skunksville for months in the past.

Sometimes it helps to go back into where you have gotten a good patch and if its in a wash,

dig it out and re beep it. You will most likely pop one or two and soothe the pain :)
Ive had washes that parellel each other and both have given up gold....I detect the area inbetween and get

ZERO! Thats a mind boggler.
Its also no fun when your in a mineralized area that your getting gold out of and your working over towards the end of it and relizing...the golds gonna run out :( But, you just hammer the spot and have fun doing it.

If you are in a certain type of geology/rocks and finding gold look for other areas on google or geological maps that show the same type of rock. Then go hit those areas.

I will also go back into areas that ive gotten gold out of a few years back and redetect them. The floods always seem to pop up

a few new ones or scrub off overburden and redistribute it.

Then you can always research new areas, go hunt them and keep saying to yourself, I know im good enough to find gold and

if there would have been some here I would have found it. Especially if your finding bullets down in the cracks. I always look at

a deep bullet as (well, if there was gold here...this is where it would have been"

Just keep at it. Eventually you will get over another area and the fun begin. Guess thats why they call it nugget HUNTING!

Two weeks taint that long of a skunk :)
Tom H.

My last patch is about 200 yards x 400 yards and I've gridded that sucker four different directions with five different coils and now that I have a new Coiltek Platypus mono I'm going to give it a go in the parts of the patch that haven't become overgrown with waist high weeds.

All of that gridding has taken months of beeping, then I put on a bigger coil and go searching outward from the patch trying and hoping that the patch extends further. This time really thick brush and trees on one end and water on the other sides limit my search for new ground.

Very soon it's going to be "brush popping" time again!!

First off, gotta admit I haven't had your problem 'between patches', I'm more a 'between nuggets' kind of guy. Have had long spells between nuggets, aka skunk, worse tho in summer when gotta work and can't get out at all!

Not gonna tell you to do your research, cause I know you do. Kids sports are over for a while, but don't wear yourself out, out looking; go fishing or something. Keep a clear mind!

I feel for those in our group that have to find gold for a living, it's tough! I'm not there yet, still have a job. For several years, went gold detecting every Saturday and life was good. Sunday, thinking about the next Saturday and what or where would I do different. Now a days, I go to AZ, started at a week and now up to 13 days (wife says 2 weeks- NOT!). To be honest, towards the end of the trip. I'm tired of hunting every day and ready to go back to work. Don't wear yourself out- you find gold, it goes in a bottle; the treasure is the hunt, finding or not! If you're not enjoying that, don't know what to tell you, other than above.

Headed to AZ in 101 hours

Take care, Shep

P.S. other day did stop by shop, open flag was out, but door locked. Hope you got running 20" and setting figured out.

• Like 1

I ve got places to go that Ive been pulling nuggets from for many years-I just rotate them and they still produce for me :head: In my experience- NO patch is ever totally cleaned out no matter how you grid it-If you dont believe me take me to your SO CALLED cleaned out patches and lets see what pops up :4chsmu1: -YOU DONT LEAVE GOLD TO FIND GOLD :nutty: Mike C... :200:

Geese Mike sounds like you been reading my new book. lol but I have to say sometimes rather than beating an old patch with the same thinking I will change it up and go coin hunting an old ghost. seems to free up my thinking and give me fresh ideas.

BTW long time no see. are you going stealth these days or is it just me. Bob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

Great points guys....I suppose I may have some of that instant gratification syndrome too...lol. And it ain't my fault, its those darn nuggets I been finding that got me spoiled :) . Right now I am in between four sites..three of them have given up gold..but lately , nada on all three. The fourth site is a new one and has some great potential for me as it's on private property and I can go on as I please. Went out yesterday did not get anything but did get a workout. Today maybe the day. Garimpo, I kill those patches to, multi-coil assault this way and that way. Shep, sorry I was not in the shop..I usually head out in the mornings and do about 3 hours of hunting...Saturdays I am open 9-5. Sunday I am taking my 20" NF to a new dozed site maybe I get lucky. The excitment never stops...and I know that nugg is out there...I just have to find it. Shep, hope the Turkey Shoot was a success.

I ve got places to go that Ive been pulling nuggets from for many years-I just rotate them and they still produce for me :head: In my experience- NO patch is ever totally cleaned out no matter how you grid it-If you dont believe me take me to your SO CALLED cleaned out patches and lets see what pops up :4chsmu1: -YOU DONT LEAVE GOLD TO FIND GOLD :nutty: Mike C... :200:

Bulony...you havnt sees Boulderdash and a D-11 go through an

area! :)

Tom H.

Edited by TomH

Bulony...you havnt sees Boulderdash and a D-11 go through an

area! :)

Tom H.

Does it come with some cheese and bread with a little mustard :ROFL: The sitting Ducks may be gone Butttt there are always some Deeper Sleepers for my Deeper Beeper :4chsmu1: Mike C... :200:

Edited by Mike C...
  • Like 1

Geese Mike sounds like you been reading my new book. lol but I have to say sometimes rather than beating an old patch with the same thinking I will change it up and go coin hunting an old ghost. seems to free up my thinking and give me fresh ideas.

BTW long time no see. are you going stealth these days or is it just me. Bob

Hey Bob you should write a book :thumbsupanim -Ive been stealth for quite sometime now it helps keep me out of trouble :evil1: It has been way to long-the last time I seen you was at one of the famous RH shack poker games back when Drisco was running the claims :4chsmu1: those were some good times :thumbsupanim Mike C... :200:

:rasberry:

Does it come with some cheese and bread with a little mustard :ROFL: The sitting Ducks may be gone Butttt there are always some Deeper Sleepers for my Deeper Beeper :4chsmu1: Mike C... :200:

No, just chese and anchovies :rasberry:

ur gonna go 5 inches past bedrock to find anything he missed :ya:

Tom H.

Even I miss gold. Think I need a larger D-11. No one gets it all.

I got a couple that you missed on first try just rushing through but once that D-11 gets going if anything is missed it ain't worth picking. You are one gold hunting machine bud and you work very hard at it. I would chalange anyone to find anything after that GB-2 and D11 get done with a wash.

Old Tom

Lets get something straight here Im not bagging on BD or anyone else-From the results that Ive seen BD is very good at what he does and he deserves the rewards of his efforts :thumbsupanim Butttttt NOBODY EVER GETS IT ALL including me :cry2: For me this is just a hobby NOT A JOB and so I keep it fun and easy as I can :4chsmu1: Ive owned 4-5 GB2's and I know what kind of depth they get and would only use them for tailing piles or bedrock crumb crunching anything else is just a waste of time :old: With that being said I also know how deep some cracks go in bedrock and are well out of the range of the GB2-Nuff said :4chsmu1: Mike C... :200:

I set my gb2 to sensitive extra with a new set of 9volts ha ha.. I miss and continue to miss lots of gold. I'm with mike no patch is ever totally cleaned out.

Well, you just deflated my GOD image of you........ :th:

Tom H.

Hey Bob you should write a book :thumbsupanim -Ive been stealth for quite sometime now it helps keep me out of trouble :evil1: It has been way to long-the last time I seen you was at one of the famous RH shack poker games back when Drisco was running the claims :4chsmu1: those were some good times :thumbsupanim Mike C... :200:

Ya Mike still working on the book, maybe some day I'll geter done thanks for your support.
Have you seen Disco Ron lately?
Hey all
There are so many reasons you can pop a nugget out of an old beat patch. here is just a few that I use. damp ground-not wet vs dry, try a different machine better suited to that spot/gold type, different coil- bigger, smaller or even type (mono/DD), come back with a positive attitude, concentration, kick a few rocks out of the way, under a bush,expand the the patch boundaries, new erosion, make sure you move those surface hot or negative rocks, don't forget to hunt high above the patch, that's were I find most of my trophy nuggs. keep hitting it with different tools.
AzNuggetBob

Ya Mike still working on the book, maybe some day I'll geter done thanks for your support.
Have you seen Disco Ron lately?

Hi Bob I havent seen Ron since the very last push which was dubbed the cactus push-Have you seen the richhill book that Gholson put out a few years back-its got a picture of Ric S's old station wagon sitting in front of the shack that he sold Ted back in the day before it became a carbuque :4chsmu1: -Take care-Mike C... :200:

Edited by Mike C...

Hey Mike

I was hunting with Ted and working together up on Jimi Malone's claims up in Nevada after that but I remember the carbbq in the club parking lot at Rich Hill. I didn't see it burn I was out hunting but I saw what was left when I got back. Remember the Tin door car. the car with the rear door sheet metaled over. and so the nick name,"Tin door Ted". He used to sit in on some of the poker games too. I heard he passed away?, too bad great guy to hunt with.

Talking about Nevada and patches.

Now this may shock a few, here is little out of my book.

When Terry found that monster nugget we were both hunting up in Nevada but not together, it started a bit of a gold rush. his was about 26 or 28 oz's nugget as I recall?

Jimi and I also found a 23 oz. in the same hole with a 10 oz. nearby on Jimi's claims. I remember Jimi was disappointed because it didn't beat Terry's (T-Bone)nugget and joked about gluing them together.. funny thing was Jimi was so shocked when he found the big nugget he walked away back up to the cabin to clean and weigh it and left his detector next to the hole so I picked it up and just happen to check the hole and there was a 10 oz. in the same hole with it. real coarse gold right out of the vein, hadn't traveled far at all, both the large nuggets Jimi's and Terry's were both quartzy with a blue green staining kinda butt ugly gold but couldn't argue with the weight and looked pretty good once it was cleaned. T-bone had his cleaned with Hydrofloric before he lost it in Quartzite, Jimi didn't, just the usual cleaning.

The funny thing about Terry's nugget is was found up right next to the road. The patch was known by others but the main part of the patch were everyone hunted was down 75-100 yards off the road nice flat area below. Terry told me he found that nugget up about 10-15 feet off the road. no one had ever bothered to hunt up that high. He told me the nugget was only a few inches deep and screamed the detector, you could not miss it! I saw the back filled hole when he showed me the nugget. He told others he found it near Quartzite but I think you understand.

Before both Terry and Jimi's nuggets were cleaned they looked like they came from the same vein and very possibly did.

RIP Jimi ,Ted and Terry, we had some great times together.

AzNuggetBob

Hey Mike
I was hunting with Ted and working together up on Jimi Malone's claims up in Nevada after that but I remember the carbbq in the club parking lot at Rich Hill. I didn't see it burn I was out hunting but I saw what was left when I got back. Remember the Tin door car. the car with the rear door sheet metaled over. and so the nick name,"Tin door Ted". He used to sit in on some of the poker games too. I heard he passed away?, too bad great guy to hunt with.

Hi Bob Ted was a good guy and sorry to hear he's gone :idunno: -I do remember his Tin door car-quite the site :nutty: -I also remember Jim sitting at the poker games out bidding everyone because he had the deepest pockets :evil1: -The story about the carbq goes that someone in a van pulled up next to the old station wagon and it caught on fire and caught teds car on fire also-what a bummer :grr01: -Do you still sport your tommy gun ? That was quite the gun :brows: -Hurry up with that book many people never knew that part of the Famous Terry nugget :D Mike C... :200:

Edited by Mike C...