Nugget Shooter Forums

Microwave Some Gold!

HagenT

http://microwavegoldkiln.com/home

There are two pretty cool videos on this website.

One is for a small kiln that uses two simple propane torches, and the other is for a microwave gold smelting.

I've never seen this before, so I thought it might be nice to share.

Cheers,

Hagen

Usage of the microwave is EXTREMELY Dangerous.
Most people aren't in consideration of how easy it is to spill the liquids and they will go right thru you and whatever they hit.
Extreme caution on that process.
A while back when they came out with this idea of usin the mic some friends and I just shook our heads thinking about all the inexperienced users that may be giving it a try.

:ROFL: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmen-I fried one pretty good with that silly idea. In Carson City I ran a batch through a LFE plasma machine and man alive it was a sight to see and took hours to clean up that $300,000 machine up. Thank god the CEO/owner was a gold nutz also.John

Usage of the microwave is EXTREMELY Dangerous.

Most people aren't in consideration of how easy it is to spill the liquids and they will go right thru you and whatever they hit.

Extreme caution on that process.

A while back when they came out with this idea of usin the mic some friends and I just shook our heads thinking about all the inexperienced users that may be giving it a try.

I must be missing something here Frank. Why is a microwave dangerous to use? If you use a kiln the molten metal could spill on you too. I'm just missing something here. I mean if there was danger in using this method, that company could be held liable for any damages their kit caused. I can't picture someone telling someone to do something stupid into todays world...hmmmm..There must be more to this story than meets the eye...lol

Edited by Rimshot

There are metals within the black sands=iron ,copper,nickel,silver and hopefully gold too. Look in manual and states NO METAL. Looks like a lightning storm,real cool till the smoking started hahahahaThe heat caused the teflon paint inside to bubble and peel/flake too.-John

Edited by Hoser John

Here's my opinion John. The conductivity of gold is only 48.7e6 (1/Ωcm) (in both cases, e is being used as the the ten's exponant).

Meaning gold is not highly conductive. I doubt you would see any sparking going on, but not sure. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Rim, not only dangerous to the oven, main point here is that when using a kiln most would be experienced in handling molten liquids and generally you wouldn't have a kiln in the house / kitchen.
Sales to inexperienced individuals of this microwave kiln can be extremely bad as some will be exposed to not only dangers of usage in the mic in a kitchen home environment but if you make a goof in a workshop/garage type atmosphere with concrete floors and steel/wood worksurfaces so be it !!!!
Now take into consideration having a spill or accident of the metallic's in the mic in a kitchen KABAM or spill/ goodbye kitchen surfaces AND god forbid others in the room like children or pets showing up at the wrong time. And fire danger if spilled on indoor surfaces, Man we are talking about thousands of degrees of molten liquids being dealt with here when it comes in contact with a persons body GOOD NIGHT IRENE....like an acid eating /melting away skin an bone in front of your eyes, OH don't forget about all those precautions eyeware etc.
Its just not a healthy enviorment to do an operation in the comfort of your kitchen for the general public , and YOU JUST KNOW theres gonna be somebody out there that's never dealt with crucibles and molten materials before that gets hurt bad or worse yet an innocent kid standing buy or showing up at the wrong moment.
Sorry I cannot condone this method to the general public. Experienced craftsmen etc O.K. but THEY most likely will NOT be doing this in the Kitchen/enviorment.

Edited by frank c

Oh I wasn't thinking about the mic in the kitchen Frank. I was thinking more inline with a mic in a safe place. Mic's are cheap, kilns are not so cheap and they take up more space then a mic. That's all that I was thinking. Curious to know what that flux consist of though.

Is that like a substitute for what is it, hell I can't remember.

Melting any metals is not for the inexperienced to do without supervision of someone with the experience, EVER, that even includes welding, using a cutting torch, and for some even a propane torch, IMHO, I have seen idiots accidentally catching stuff on fire using a propane torch.

I've done this with just kiln brick, and did not have any safety issues. That said, WHAT A WASTE OF TIME IT WAS...and a long freaking time....over an hour to melt about 10 grams.

I have a small melting furnace that will handle quite a bit of gold or silver at a time.

Now that is extremely dangerous. All you have to do is accidently pass your skin

over the hole for a microsecond and you are fried in a serious way.

Seriously, unless you have a secondary need to do any of this, it is an absolute waste of time and money and if

you do make a mistake, can cost you way more that the gold you are trying to melt!

It is fun to play tho!

Jim

Yeah, I use a small Mapp gas kiln that Klunker custom built for me. Eventhough it is small it gets to some serious hot temps very very fast. It only takes me 20 minutes to do a complete smelt and I would not ever want those fumes inside my house or studio.......

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh188/eldoradosau/Slide%20shows/5AF8329A-3B95-4E08-8213-39878A052862-1417-000005719C8D2608_zpscbd432c8.mp4

Edited by El Dorado

I need to come clean guys. I didn't watch the video but how long did they say it takes to melt gold in a mic? Just curious.

Thanks for the dumbo compliment( from the one who didn't even look at the video PRIOR to the insult) but where did I say in my friggn' kitchen :2mo5pow: READ OR VIEW AND THEN SPEW........... :nutty: John