Nugget Shooter Forums

Amature Prospector with Cancer

GeoJack

My BIL lives in the central valley, Merced area, and works with a young man that has been diagnosed with cancer. Not looking good for his chances but the reason for this post is to see who can offer up some good metal detecting or sluicing area for him to visit in the near future.

He is only 34 and had just gotten into prospecting with my BIL who just had neck surgery. If they come my way I'll be putting them on some good areas but wanted to see if anything might be closer to them, maybe Mariposa / Hornitos area?

Please PM me with information if you have something to share with him. I won't be involved, just passing on the information.

Thanks in advance.

I would absolutely share with him except for two things: 1. I can't find gold myself so I have no "good spots", 2. I live in SoCal. I sure hope someone steps up to the plate and helps you out. I will be praying for your friend.

I can't personally help you much, I live here but travel to AZ to hunt. But! Might check Treasurenet forum, California, the many lost treasures of Mariposa, and then Eagledown. Good friend, knows several areas to hunt, likes Briceburg area. Has helped several out. Good people.

Just say'n, Shep

Edited by shep

Thanks all, familiar with Briceburg and other areas near Mariposa but was hoping for some good known places so the possibility of him getting skunked is low. If he makes it up to my area I will ensure he hits some targets.

What condition physically?? As I do know of a couple of hot spots along the Merced from past history of mining and living there. But requires some demanding hiking. Got a bud with a huge amount of claims also there sooooo. John

Hard to say about hunters valley, lots of private property, some open areas. Bagby opens up the 31st of this month, its been closed for camping for a long time, Grubstake

Bagby,at the end of the campground on 49 hi way,Whitlock creek feeds in. Plenty of that gold producing AND catching black crumbly shale. I understand waters low low low so get into the riverbed and give it a working. Haven't been to the Briceburg camp area down river from Briceburg since the BLM bulldozed our camps there back in the 80s. Great bedrock there back in the day. Sure miss the town.....John

post-23710-0-13716400-1394115147_thumb.j

Those are great areas, but Briceburg is a good option also. Easy to get to, cross the bridge and your on a nice road takes you all the way to the last campground. Plenty of spots to sluice and pan only. And you will always find color. John, let him know when he comes up to Mariposa, to contact me...I can take your BIL and his friend to a spot they can work with a pan or sluice. Just pm me for my contact info..

Fred

GeoJack, sounds great..looking forward to taking them out sluicing and panning..John...those are cool pictures of Bagby...amazing how nothing looks the same anymore at Bagby and Briceburg. Once a vibrant mining community now a wild and scenic area almost void of life, and with more restrictions this will continue.