Nugget Shooter Forums

A Day in the hills

TomH

Hey all:
Welp, got out today to LSD.

Met up with a friend thats been helping me a lot and went to a old mine that he had gotten gold out of in the past from the tailings pile.

Beeped the whole pile with the Minelab and didnt get a speck. He had scattered it out in the past so it wasnt very deep. Pretty cool we were able to find it again after 15 plus years!
After that we're looking at some other tailings piles in another area and up pulls Adam!

Cool!
We went to another spot and detected for the rest of the day.

I get this faint signal on a bench and start digging...and digging...and digging...Get down to the caliche and im having trouble pinpointing it. Its loud but caliche is hard and I dont want to do unessary chipping. I call adam over and he pinpoints it for me with the GB2. Im chipping away at the caliche and its getting louder. Getting excited after digging down 5 inches in that cement. We're all thinking...its got to be a nug if its down in there. Finally get it out and it is the most beautiful piece of tin ever uncovered. BLAH!!!..........I threw the minelab as far as I could and hit Adam with my pick then laid down and cried.....ok..not really.....Unfortunatly...we all got skunked this time.

I pulled 4 buckets of dirt from various areas and got......wait for it.....hold on....ONE FLAKE

YEEHAA!!!

Saw a nice Mule deer buck but he was too far off to take pics of.

It was a great day out. Weather was awsome, ground was moist but not sloppy, just a good time out with friends.

Theres always next time :)

Tom H.

Knew I recognized that Yota.... In most cases we are many years and a dollar short, but there is still gold to be had. That last area we went to was tough on a VLF, really tough !, and add the wet ground :grr01: Then again there are areas that still hold color.....Hopefully I can make the outing in March...

That should have been a nugget Tom, In fact , I knew it was a nugget.... :cry2:

Nice to see you guys out there! :head:

Edited by adam

I know your pain all too well, Tom. I can't count the number of times I was sure that the signal I was hearing was a nugget, just to find a freaking paper staple 6"-8" deep....on top of a hill....that it took me an hour and a half to hike to....under a sage bush. :tisk-tisk:

And bullets...HOLY COW!!!! It simply amazes me the places where bullets turn up. Today, I drove 27 miles into the desert, then hiked another 2 miles to a location that a friend of mine told me about that used to do detecting before being involved in an accident and now can't stay on his feet long. He told me that the area was basically untouched (except for him and his old prospecting buddy) because it was SO FAR of the beaten path. I thought "Great. This is exactly what I've been looking for. Nice, clean, litter-free ground." I finally get to the spot a huffin and a puffin from the hill climbing, put the detector together and get at it. I swear to God it wasn't more than 3-4 minutes and I get a signal on the GB2. SOUNDS SWEET!!!! The ground is nice and moist; not soaked, but wet, from the recent rain. I'm thinking this is it. I whip out the pick and start digging. Approximately 4" deep out comes this nice, intact, .22 caliber projectile. boorb

Well, I am certainly used to digging those, so it didn't bother me TOO much. I throw it in my trash pouch and move on. About 15 minutes later or so I get another very loud signal. My hopes are high again because I had NO other signals between the bullet and now. I boot-scrape the ground to make sure it isn't on top...it isn't, so I grab the pick. I dug approximately 5"-7" down I would say (not real sure exactly how deep), I swing the coil of the GB2 over the dirt I just pulled out and WOW was it loud!!! My heart is pumping!!! I grab the scoop and start the hand/scoop process. And there it is.........a dad-gummed piece of ALUMINUM FOIL :WOW: . Are you kidding me??? I immediately take to cussing out every individual who ever used aluminum foil in their life :duc: .....only because it made me feel better. LOL.

Glad you guys had a great time. That's what it's all about. Hoping to meet a lot of you folks from the forum here sometime in the future. I don't get out to Az. too often, but always keep my fingers crossed when I am there that I will run into someone from the group here that doesn't want to shoot me...hahaha!!!

Happy Hunting!!!!

A skunk with friends sure beats a skunk by yourself as then you don't know if it's you,the machine or just bad luck. Lousy ground can't be made to produce and a day outing with good people is golden indeed-John

yep lots of bullets yesterday hiked for hours yesterday found a alluvial fan of .22 cal bullets, did anyone see that operation in ox wash west of jackass flats right off the road ?(tractor,screen,and hopper) Im guessing if he was drywashing that dirt hes pretty mad about right now. glad you guys got out and had fun.I should of at least got a sample while i was out there but realy didn't run into anything that looked very good, those roadrunner claims i was on seem to be hit pretty hard?? time to check out different areas. good luck to you all !

I guess i should just drive randomly around the lsd and look for the Toms.

NO.....if you see the Toms...theres a little black and white creature that smells funny following thier Yoto!

STAY AWAY!!!

:P

Tom

Good target or bad, That place has been hit pretty hard. you hit a very deep target everyone else before you had missed.

It was fun getting out swinging with you guys. :head::thumbsupanim AzNuggetBob

Tom
Good target or bad, That place has been hit pretty hard. you hit a very deep target everyone else before you had missed.
It was fun getting out swinging with you guys. :head::thumbsupanim AzNuggetBob

Bob:

Yup, I cleaned up the area and if there was some yellow stuff there it would have been found. :)

10 22 shells and 3 #5 steel shot along with the misc wire shards and crap.

Dang, we were so pumped up on that target....5 inches into the caliche...it just had to be a nug!!!

Like you said........I got down to the old timers level.

Just goes to show you what 130 years of weather will do to a spot.

Great time out though.

Tom H.

Join the club......Bullets all day today too mostly .22 cal.....freakin gun lovers....should pick their brass and lead up and take it home...... :41: ..

Well the lead does help you find the low spots in the washes :)

I hear ya though. I hunt a area thats close to a wally world of weekend shooters.

Get a lot of drop ins from it.

But, on a good note, I do get about 20 bucks in brass from them.

So the skunk aint beating me up too bad when I dont find some real yellow. :)

Tom H.

Tom I gota tell ya, I've literately thrown away a lot of artifacts in my early days of prospecting or treasure hunting that I regretted to this day. didn't know what they were for? It may be trash to some but more than likely if its old, it has some historical or monetary value to someone. BTW I really like that hand made brass scoop you found and showed me. very cool. AzNuggetBob