Nugget Shooter Forums

4x4 Purchase

mn90403

I feel like I have had a death in my family. My Trooper of 15 years has died. I drove it into the ground last year with all my trips and now I need a new 4x4. The only thing left is a new set of 16 inch off-road tires!

This is what I do. I drive 300 or 400 miles to a place then I prospect. I had started sleeping in the Trooper because I could lay the seats out. The car gets parked out on the street or maybe under a carport but there is no lockable garage.

For the last couple of years I have been looking for a replacement but I am stumped. So can I please have your experience with different cars and trucks. Please tell me about your favorite and how it did in the desert.

What would be your recommendation for a $10,000 4x4? (Make/year/miles, etc.)

What would you be willing to spend $20,000 on if you had that for a budget instead?

Lastly what would you AVOID? My mechanic says that Trooper parts are too expensive now and don't get another Trooper.

Mitchel

For 20K you can get a motorhome and a samurai. :pop:

Any 1986 or newer Foretravel Grand Villa with a diesel will probably last longer than you or I will. There are lots of nice Samurais out there for 2500 & up. Easy to fix, 22-25 mpg, lots of parts and they go anywhere. Get a Blue Ox towbar if you can.

Edited by Dakota Slim

Slim,

I could get that but where would I park it? haha I need to buy or rent some place to park it.

That reminds me of the place at 95 and the 40. They have RV and motor home storage.

I found it O C Gateway Partners. I don't know what the rates are.

Mitchel

I feel like I have had a death in my family. My Trooper of 15 years has died. I drove it into the ground last year with all my trips and now I need a new 4x4. The only thing left is a new set of 16 inch off-road tires!

This is what I do. I drive 300 or 400 miles to a place then I prospect. I had started sleeping in the Trooper because I could lay the seats out. The car gets parked out on the street or maybe under a carport but there is no lockable garage.

For the last couple of years I have been looking for a replacement but I am stumped. So can I please have your experience with different cars and trucks. Please tell me about your favorite and how it did in the desert.

What would be your recommendation for a $10,000 4x4? (Make/year/miles, etc.)

What would you be willing to spend $20,000 on if you had that for a budget instead?

Lastly what would you AVOID? My mechanic says that Trooper parts are too expensive now and don't get another Trooper.

Mitchel

Heck, I can't suggest much, although, I could tell you what I'd get, had I the money! A Chevy Duramax 4X4 Quad-Cab Longbed, in black, or heck, any color! The years are up to you, if used of course, they run from year 2000-2014, but obviously the prices do too! I'd ge any year from 2000-2003, with as low miles as possible, just cause! The Duramax has been said to get high miles, all the way to over 500k! The older years had less C.A.R.B equipment, making modding simple, with better gas to boot, plus less garbage under the hood, well, unless folks see that as not garbage, each their own. Good luck!

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/1303dp_history_of_the_duramax_diesel_engine/

Slim,

I could get that but where would I park it? haha I need to buy or rent some place to park it.

That reminds me of the place at 95 and the 40. They have RV and motor home storage.

I found it O C Gateway Partners. I don't know what the rates are.

Mitchel

Well, you could simply sell the house you are seldom in and escape like some of us have done.

A good friend just bought a soccer mom' s Lexus GX. It is the luxury version of the Toyota Land Cruiser wagon. He paid 20K for it and it had just under 100K miles. It is a great 4x4, he can comfortably sleep in it. When he and I went out in it I was very impressed!

Edited by El Dorado

:old: For a number of years I've driven Toyota Tacoma's and I currently own a 2000 4X4. This truck, as the others, has been all over the Mojave Desert and other places. Generally I have averaged about 250,000+ miles before my wife tells!! me to get a new one. I'm able to sleep and carry all my equipment in the back. I have not had any problems with Toyota Tacoma's prior to buying Toyota's I owned a 1984 Chevy 4X4 and it was nothing but trouble, and I have not own another Chevy,

If I was to buy a new 4X4 most likely I would look jeeps only because I've always wanted one but I always thought they were over price. Starting a couple years back the new Tacoma's got bigger than the older models, something most of us did not understand why the change. Because of the change in the truck size I have to be an aware of how wide some trails are something I did not have to worry too much about before.

So my recommendation would be to buy a 2002 or older Toyota Tacoma if you can find one and in very good condition, if you can't then look into a newer Tacoma models or maybe Jeeps. Either way we are most likely talking way more than $20,000 for a new 4X4.

Good Luck

Cheers, Beers, & Gold

Don't know what to tell ya. I have three diesel trucks, a jeep CJ, an older full size Jeep wagon, a motor cycle, 3 sports cars, a camper and a travel trailer and I still can't figure out the perfect mining set-up. My favorite is an MG. It makes the whole trip fun. So you tell me. Which ones should I get rid of?

Jeep is on my mind. Toyota 4Runners of course but also the Highlander 4x4 if I just want to get near the mountain but not go rock climbing. :) There is the XTerra and the older Infinity QX4 which is the same body style as the Trooper.

It could be 'said' that I have more important things to think about but not getting flats on a rock trail, not getting stuck in a wash and saving that motel bill will do for now.

Keep the answers coming. I want to know your most 'loved' trail rides of all time.

Mitchel

TOYOTA any day and in every way. In 2005 they made tacomas tundra big,which they made bigger 2 more times to insanity, and don't like that. My ol'86 22re longbed is still been running just fine as 3 day trip prior to rain to get some gold,through 8 creek crossing, up the side a hills,whatever, it just keeps on a going and at over 30 mpg it sure beats my 2004 six banger at 18-22mpg. I'd get the biggest bed ya can find as this double door and a tiny bed is NOT a truck but a people carrier.If I want to put in a sheet a plywood,2 x 4s or dredge and camp I need ROOM. Go toyota and you'll never go back. I've owned a half dozen since 75 and dumped 2 fords,1 chevy and 2 jeeps along the way...John

post-23710-0-68507900-1393597154_thumb.j

post-23710-0-94624300-1393597355_thumb.j

a f 150 with a 6 cyl or a 4.6 will net you 20+ mpg as well as any yota truck . them tritions will see 250,000 miles . a full size truck is better for long rides and a long bed for sleeping in with a shell or a quick over nite as well as hualling equipment and towing .

Edited by H-2 Charlie

Don ... Upside down grain shovel! ... at least that is what it looks like to me! Remember snow from your time back in OKC ... that is a plastic snow shovel. Mike F

Edited by Mike Furness

Mitchel,

Its lockable, but that only stops the honest folks, if I had to park it on the street it would be empty.

Caravan campers will custom make a high security unit with wired glass and double locks.

They are very popular for goberment trucks, Game and Fish, Forest Service, Sheriffs…. ect

Yep a plastic scoop shovel, I used it to block the plate number in the photo.

They make great snow tools, the snow don't stick like a metal shovel.

Hard to beat a tacoma or jeep for aftermarket parts, new or used.

I give the nod to the taco, I like a pick up truck bed's versatility.

Thank you everyone. I'll keep reading here for the next month. I want to see your favorites.

I'll make a decision when I come back from my China trip. If I had some place to park a taco within 100 miles of the gold fields it would be different. It would also be different if I could make a commitment to stay 'out' for 4-5 days or more at a time. Some of that will depend on this trip.

Any truck here parked on the street that looks like it has tools in it will be broken into. I didn't have a problem with the Trooper because you could see in and know there was nothing worth stealing.

Mitchel