Nugget Shooter Forums

Nothing in this life is perfect but that comes darn close. Righteous beauty for sure. :thumbsupanim John

Nice one Steve. Kinda reminds me of doppler radar.

On 2/26/2014 at 5:36 PM, El Dorado said:

Welo Opal from Ethiopia, tough and stones I cut. I love this material. One giant advantage to Welo is the rough comes in nodules which allows the cutter to make high dome cabs vs OZ opa that comes in thin seams for flatter cabs

post-1252-0-88006100-1393425115_thumb.jp

post-1252-0-67312900-1393425150_thumb.jp

post-1252-0-32566000-1393425205_thumb.jp

post-1252-0-54957100-1393425294_thumb.jp

Lovely one, my cousin who works with telec company in a town bordering Ethiopia,Marsabit, found  exactly gem resembling those, they found it as they dug a trench near a watering point(ban) half meter deep, he knew my interest in colour stones, and brought for identification, unfortunately i did not recognize it, coz it was raw, but, in the middle, interesting with rainbow colour, its later date , that I learnt to be an Ethiopian opal, by then it has gone.

The place is rich with gems

• Like 2

Amazing color variations, beautiful to say the least-John

Yowah nut, containing a fabulous opal. Bit hard to find these now.
Australia

Yowah nut, containing a fabulous opal..jpg

• Like 6

Amazing Bill......truly mind blowing!

• Like 1

Unusual pattern Opal FROM Virgin Valley District/Humboldt County, Nevada.
credit: Joe Budd

nvopal.jpg

• Like 6

Beautiful opals.   love them.   Too bad that virgin valley has fractures or it would be worth a lot more, but still fabulous with all those colors.

hey guys, I found this opal shell thing.... 

is it junk....? thank you... :)

Need a better video. Too dark.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, jakyowtf said:

hey guys, I found this opal shell thing.... 

No, you do not need a better quality video. You are confusing Opalescence and iridescence . What you have is a iridescent shell

Edited by adam

2 minutes ago, adam said:

No, you do not need a better quality video. You are confusing Opalescent and iridescence . What you have is a iridescent shell

I agree, many sea shells have this quality, real Mother of Pearl comes from sea shells as well as abalone, pearls are also made of the same substance.

This my first fire opal find, from the Virgin Valley back in June. All i needed was another fever! Haha well this fire does get some people hooked they call them opalhoalics. :oregonian_winesmiley:

19 minutes ago, hardtimehermit said:

This my first fire opal find, from the Virgin Valley back in June. All i needed was another fever! Haha well this fire does get some people hooked they call them opalhoalics. :oregonian_winesmiley:

IMG_3252.MOV

That is awesome! It is a beautiful piece of opal! :thumbsupanim

I have found lots of nice common opal but never precious opal. Some red opal but never with fire. That is one of my unrealized goals. I know there are three spots in New Mexico where a tiny bit has been found but I have never found a piece of it yet.

I see we have the same manicurist...

• Haha 1

Thanks Bob, as you know it takes some work to keep up this look. The opal blew my mind when i found it because it is the type of fire that is called Contra Luz. That is the when the fire only goes off when light hits it at the right angle. I found it in the morning and it just looked translucent, but that afternoon i pulled it out and when the sunlight hit from behind me that's when it caught fire! Happy opal hunting, if you come out this way we can point you in the right direction, basically the Virgin Valley, but it helps to know just where to go.:brows:

7 hours ago, hardtimehermit said:

IMG_3252.MOV

That's a really nice looking piece of opal. Congrats. I've always wanted to hunt at Virgin Valley but never did which I really regret. Spent quite a bit of time in north central Nevada so it's not like I had to travel far. 

• Like 1

Thanks Morlock, i think this one will go around my neck, my lucky fire stick for finding more relatives. If you can get back to the Virgin Valley someday, it is a great time. 

Since you've been to Virgin Valley, I would imagine you had the chance to talk to others about the opal found there.  I've heard different opinions about whether the majority of the opal can be cut into cabochons for jewelry. What's your opinion based on what you've seen and heard? Some say it's too crazed for cutting. Others say there's no problem.

From the people i spoke with they say the same thing, that most of the opal is too unstable to use as jewelry. They say if you hunt the tailings that the opal has had time to cure slowly and can be used in jewelry. The material that comes right out of the banks is the stuff they usually put into water for good. The fire opal wood i found in the tailings so i will try to have necklace made. 

34 minutes ago, hardtimehermit said:

From the people i spoke with they say the same thing, that most of the opal is too unstable to use as jewelry. They say if you hunt the tailings that the opal has had time to cure slowly and can be used in jewelry. The material that comes right out of the banks is the stuff they usually put into water for good. The fire opal wood i found in the tailings so i will try to have necklace made. 

That's pretty much the same thing I've heard.

Well, that's a shame since I've seen some Virgin Valley opal on par with or better then opal from Australia. I mean the type with really bright, flashy colors. Just gorgeous.

You'd think there would be a way to stabilize it much like turquoise is stabilized. I'm sure a lot of time and money has been spent on such efforts but with little success...imho.

Here is a little chunk of black opal, found this in VV just a few weeks back, my second trip with wife and a friend. You could use some small pieces in jewelry like this one. They make little glass containers that can act as a necklace or ear rings. The down side is you need to keep them in water, but the fire is worth it. Otherwise this stuff can be so bright you might get burned, haha.

• Like 3

Very Nice !!

9 hours ago, adam said:

Very Nice !!

Thanks Adam, i got the fever for the fire.:)