Nugget Shooter Forums

Any suggestions on a larger double D coil for PI?

Relichunter2

I am bringing up an old topic with some of the members on the forum, but I would like to revisit it. The reason I do that is cause I think their are some smart folks here. Which brings up COILS... larger double d coils have their purpose...they do well in hot ground, and you can discriminate with them. I have my collection of great coils..my last one as some of you know is the 20" NF R. What I am looking for is a larger Double d coil for my M/L 4500. I am looking to go deep, but have the ability to use disc. if I want to...any suggestions would be appreciated....

Minelab 12X15 Commander. Especially for the 4500. But don't try to discriminate a deep target EVER. If you do, mark it well and tell me where it is. I use DD to get a dead smooth threshold not to discriminate. The best tool I have found for discrimination is a magnet. a good selection of DD coils is getting hard to find so let us know what you find.

RH2 ... Just a reminder with discrimination on the Minelab PI's ... and I know you know this ... but discrimination for the PI's is best for the first few inches. More importantly the higher the setting on the discrimination scale approaching the highest position of 10 the more chance there is of missing a small piece of gold attach to or covered in any form of ironstone(including hematite and magnetite). It is best that when using discrimination that all questionable targets be dug.

Mike F

Looks like Klunker chimed in with the same info while I was writing mine. I think we are both saying the same thing just a different way around the barn. Use discrimination discriminately!

Edited by Mike Furness

So true Klunker, Mike, El Dorado....I am pretty cautious wit the dis. and most of the time use my Mono coils..but the other day..I went out with my 11" mono and after a few hours got a notion to change it out for a 11" DD commander...after 15 minutes hit a nice quarter ouncer at 5 inches with disc....than another .5 gram and a .8 gram;;;; :yesss: . So my thinking goes... :89: maybe I should perhaps get a larger dd to hit some trashy areas the last hour or two and cherry pick. I always go back and clean every piece of trash and use my Monos to hit the deep ones...just in case. I found out early....most sites are not cleaned up until you hit it good many times over and with different coils and sizes. I know Coiltek has the round 14" DD, the 17" Wallaby E DD..and there is always the Commander 15x12dd. You all know how it is, before you spend a few hundred bucks now a days...I personally like second opinions. Thanks guys.

Edited by 49goldrushtradingpost
  • Like 1

Good point Fred about the pseudo mono with the DD coil. I tend to switch to mono when using my DD stock coil for pin pointing ... just find it a little easier ... and who doesn't like things a bit easier! :)

Mike F