Nugget Shooter Forums

DIO in for classification

Hi Bryan - To answer your question, outer space! :ROFL: Actually, this came from a Moroccan dealer in Tucson. It has somewhat of an interesting story after I bought it. I was showing it around to folks at the show. A bunch of us were up in front of Anne Black's room talking about meteorites (duh) and things and playing show and tell. So, a friend was looking at this stone I just spent a wad on and wanted to see it better in the light. So, he turned toward the edge of the balcony and stopped at just the right angle to see it better. Problem was the rock did not stop and off it went back down to earth! Now that's not so bad because most of the courtyard is grass. However, Murphy and Johnno where there and the darn thing landed on top of the only water meter box there was and went "THUNK"! 4 or 5 people witnessed this fall! Everyone gasped, the guy who dropped it turned three shades of red and surprisingly did not pass out! While all us guys were looking over the edge in awe, Richard's wife went into immediate action, ran down the stairs and recovered it. So, sort of, she found her first meteorite from a witnessed fall! :thumbsupanim .

So, to make it scientifically useful, I posted a challenge on FaceBook for anyone who could come up with the fall rate and force it took when it hit the surface. Cody Miller (Roy's Son) jumped on the physics and hand scratched his math out on paper and took a picture of it and then he explained his factors. Funny thing was is that Cody and my boy, Derik, were the only ones that took on the challenge! Anyways, I sent Cody a slice of it for his efforts and in the write-up, I mentioned him as a holder of the specimen...not knowing if it will get edited out or not! So, NMU, myself, Cody and Karen Ziegler will be the only holders of this stone! NMU will hold the vast majority of it as I am not much of a collector. Diogenites, btw, are beautiful meteorites and I think they are my favorite when it comes to eye candy. If I was a collector, I'd hoard these! And, thin sections, like your's Bryan, show the true beauty and nature of the stone!

Hi Ben - I use several different blades, depending on what I am cutting. They are all diamond. If you asked me which one I like the best, it would be the Buehler wafer blades....at $300 a pop!

Jim

Edited by Desertsunburn

Yes Mike! Most of the DIO's I looked at this weekend at ASU pretty much looked the same.

Jim