Nugget Shooter Forums

I got a visit from a Ranger.

Relichunter2

So today my four friends and mom went to the Merced River to do some highbanking. We all brought our recirculating sluices powered by various methods. I had a solar panel running my small 12v pump and ran my Royal Highbanker. Greg and his friend had this small battery the size of my palm fits into my jean pocket, ran his 12v pump for three hours to run his Royal 30" inch sluice, and Jeff had a small Honda engine running his back pack sluice box. Steve was the smart one, used a backpack sluice in the River. Than it happened... :WOW: Ranger showed up with a piece of paper from the local Folsom office of the Department of Interior. Informing us about our mechanized equipment and how it's against the law... :old: . I respecting authority, briefly pointed to my solar powered recir. system..and he said illegal. He left and we continued with our illegal activity. I did bring my sluice box and used it also...we ended our day with gold in the pan..and a very nice day. Commiefornia is out of hand...one day there just maybe an Exodus of freedom loving Americans who just want to find Peace and tranquility in Our great outdoors on Public Land and take their tax dollars with them to another State. Oh

post-22658-0-91759500-1393202838_thumb.j

post-22658-0-75791600-1393202858_thumb.j

post-22658-0-70710500-1393202906_thumb.j

post-22658-0-64810400-1393202926_thumb.j

post-22658-0-62776100-1393202961_thumb.j

post-22658-0-80333000-1393203015_thumb.j

post-22658-0-02066800-1393203035_thumb.j

Edited by Relichunter2

Ohh yes....there is gold in the River....by the way....according to Ranger , mining activity on the Merced River that includes suction dredging or use of any mechanical device is NOT ALLOWED>>> without a special permit issued by the BLM.... Really, try getting a special use permit to dredge the Merced or any river in Commiefornia....it ain't gona happen. The ranger left and we continued...

Edited by Relichunter2

Here is a challenge card for you to carry and ask them questions when it happens again.

http://www.goldprospectors.org/Communication/ArticlesandInformation/tabid/153/EntryId/337/PUBLIC-LANDS-FOR-THE-PEOPLE-GPAA-STAND-UNITED.aspx

Mitchel

BLM has designated that area as wild and scenice, I am guessing you ran into the young guy in the pickup that works that stretch. I don't think he is LEO, and if he has problems, he has to called either county sheriff or BLM LEO. That is a far stretch that you can't use electric or solar equipment.

Was the 'Ranger' a BLM employee? Forest Service would be Dept of Agriculture.

A mechanical device (bicycle, cart, wheel barrow) can be many things that are not motor driven. In many cases the problem with the challenge from the ranger is that they are trying to enforce a no mechanical device when they don't have the authority. The challenge card is designed to make them tell you what they are trying to enforce.

I am familiar with the regulations that say no meteorites can be recovered in a Wilderness Area with mechanical devices but you can use a metal detector. That is specifically what it states. If I use something to help me carry them out then that could (or would) be a mechanical device if anything other than hand held. This is just an enforcement on the 'do not disturb' idea by saying no cars, quads or anything can drive in a Wilderness Area.

Mitchel

Edited by mn90403

Oakview...no it was not Leo....The ranger was just doing his job and did it well. He was not threatening ..just informed us of the law. Yeah...we can all see gas powered as a problem, in fact I even pointed at my set up in the picture with solar power. And he said, yup...that's mechanical power regardless of source of power. I am not gona argue with a man..but I darn will keep on this. One day we will be considered mechanical powered by refried beans....can't do that no more , sorry... :nono::nono: ohh well....I will call Jerry at PLP and ask what he thinks of this and where it's going. Mitchel, that's true..that's why he did not threaten us with a citation I believe, or he was just having a good day.

Edited by Relichunter2

Your solar unit drives an elecetric motor for your pump, right?

He is seeing a motor as a motor regardless of what makes the

motor run.

As I understand,...

no electric or gas motors/engines.

Now, that is for dredging.

As far as a recirculating sluice, that would be a dif horse.

Since you are apparently working in a "wild and scenic" designated area,

that changes the game.

Mitchel, yes he was a BLM ranger. I have not even been to Briceburg since last summer. Most of my mining has been done with a detector. I prefer it that way, but the temps have been rising ..so I thought what the heck..take mom to the river and get some gold. Next time I will just sluice and pan....Steel Pan, yup...Wild and Scenic...but the only ones that want to see this stretch outside of Summer are prospectors. It was Ranger Dave...he is a good guy...been there for years. I always wave and say hello and chat a few words when I see him. Lot of the part time rangers in that area are prospectors themselves...one guy George, is in Honduras right now mining... :) Its the administrators ..the higher Mucky Mucks..that ruin it for the rest of us.... kinda like in everything.

Edited by 49goldrushtradingpost

My thoughts on the Commiefornia exodus... why give up?

What we really need is for a few million intelligent, rational, logical people to move IN to that state and take it back from all the kooks and wierdos.

Then, they can all just suck it or move out to places they can live their hippy lives while we responsibly recreate, casually prospect, and build wealth from our toils.