Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adam

Couple fish pics

Offshore San Diego.....August 2012

Huge Yellowtail

Yellowtail.jpg

Second Dorado for the day...

doradosmall.jpg

Nice Dodo...

dorado.jpg

A good day fishing and lots of great eating.......

Thanks for the reminder of how much fun it can be....

Great pics.

Thanks Adam

Patrick

Adam,

I get out there too!

Tuna from San Diego and the halibut from Channel Islands and I also caught white seabass.

Mitchel

post-26254-0-70368600-1393206308_thumb.j

post-26254-0-89636200-1393206313_thumb.j

post-26254-0-63315800-1393206318_thumb.j

Nice Flattie Mitchel .....I have yet to catch a Yellowfin myself :cry2:

I went on that one trip two years ago and caught 4 (my limit) and I have not been since.

Who knows what the season will be like this year.

Your yellow is bigger than any I have ever caught.

Mitchel

Good eating there....

I sure would like to catch one of those out of my kayak ... what a ride they could give!

As you know Mike, The kayakers love fishing inshore near the kelp beds.....Catching a Yellowtail, especially a large one would be an intense battle.

One thing for sure about fishing from a kayak ... you don't fight the big fish ... you enjoy the ride until it tires and then reel it in. It's a lot like Santiago of the Old Man and the Sea catching the Marlin and having the Marlin pull his skiff for 2 days and nights. If you have never caught a large fish from a kayak you should do it at least once ... if you love to fish like I do you will want to do it again. I do suggest you go with an experienced kayaker if you go for obvious reasons ... things happen and it is better to have help a few strokes of a paddle away from you than be out alone with a capsized boat and not know what to do next!

Mike F

Surf and turf last night, kinda hard to see but the fish are the two in the center. :brows:

They looked like this saturday fresh from under the ice.

post-1061-0-52099400-1393299913_thumb.jp

post-1061-0-26592200-1393299934_thumb.jp

nice catch Greg ... I do miss ice fishing! Mike

Gotta give saltwater fishn a whirl, never fished anything other then freshwater species. Nice looking catch guys!!!

Even when your Halibut fishing inshore you just never know what your going to catch. You could hook into a Thresher shark, dogfish, leopard shark, mako, ling cod, Lobster pot, seal...etc.....That's the fun part about Saltwater

Speaking of kayak fishing, this is my friend Dustin with a Tarpon he caught from his yak off the beach near JAX, FL. Hooked and released in under 40 minutes using a Curado 200 reel and extra heavy casting rod if I remember right.

DustinandTarpon.jpg

Stan ... I bet if you were to ask your friend would tell you "it was a hell of a rife!" That is a good fish from a kayak ... looks like he is using a 'peddle' boat probably a Hobie ... the paddle is there only for shallow water and an emergency when the pedal fins break down. Nice catch!

Mike F

Mike, It's a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 16 one of the originals without the tank well. Very narrow and very fast boat. No stinking peddle boats for Dustin! These FL boys use a CaptDick StakeOutPole for getting around in skinny water. Oh, BTW, I took the pic. :4chsmu1:

That Tarpon looks massive !!! And on a casting reel no less :thumbsupanim Love it

And I thought my Native Slayer Angler 14.5 was a long boat. A 16 wouldn't easily get into some of the areas I go into ... the 14 is sometimes too big. I'm thinking of adding a Native Ultimate 12 to my arsenal just for the shallows. I'm not a big fan of the pedal boats ... have used a couple Hobies ... just don't like the peddle concept. Hell I've been paddling and poling a 17' Old Town canoe since I was 8 years old and I'm 65 now ... not about to peddle a kayak! I thought your friend's boat might be a peddle boat just the way he was sitting in the picture. Glad to hear he paddles! I use a stakeout pole but it is merely a 6' wood dowel I shove down one of the scupper holes ... but then when I am using that I'm in fresh water and very little if any current. It just keeps me in place when it is windy. When in the salt I am usually too deep to use a stakeout.

Mike F

Thanks, Adam it we estimated it at 150+. And Mike, that's why he is sitting funny to keep from rolling that skinny yak over. :-)

Nice fish you posted Adam. I've always wanted to do a long range trip for Yellowfin from San Diego.

Another nice sized poon from a yak. This Shane on the west coast of FL near Punta Gorda. Shane is about 125 #s soaking wet and a wild man in a yak

ShaneandbigPoon.jpg

That Redfish yak is what my fishing partner swears by. Nice fish ... not sure who tips the scale more ... Shane or the Fish! Nicely done.

The Heritage Redfish is one of the best fishing yaks ever produced. Great on the inshore flats of W FL for sneaking up on, of all things, tailing Redfish. Very quite and stable kayak. I rigged and sold a lot of them back in the old days. David shows how to do it. PS: I have permission to use this photo. David and Shane were my pro staff back in the day.

November9thTAILS051e.jpg

Here's a fun shot of Shane and a very large Snook he unfortunately shared with a shark.

DSCN0131.jpg

Adam, sorry to derail your thread.

I found a new kayak for all you kayak fishermen!!

Publication188.jpg

Here's a fun shot of Shane and a very large Snook he unfortunately shared with a shark.

Adam, sorry to derail your thread.

Not at all Stan, this is a great thread.....I would have gotten my A$$ off the water after that shark episode... :ROFL: