Nugget Shooter Forums
El Dorado

Minelab coil wire stabilizer

Picked up one of the new units from Bill today. I must say, this is the perfect answer for a continual glitch in all Minelab PI machines! Thank you Mike for dreaming this up and then putting them into production. This may prove to be the absolute best accessory a person can get for their beeper!

Sometimes there tends to be a lot of hype when it comes to metal detectors and detector accessories. This coil stabilizer that Mike makes is ingenious and deserves some hype. I made a post about how good Mike's stabilizer's were but some people are always skeptical. :old:

Scott and I were hunting with Mike shortly after he starting making these stabilizers. Scott had just got his 3500 back from Ishmael Jones and it was acting very noisy and very unstable. It was so bad he couldn't hardly stand to hunt with it and thought it was the IJ modds causing the problem and was going to ship it back to Australia. Mike took his stabilizer off his detector and gave it to Scott to see if it would help. Guess what happen... the modded 3500 was as quiet as could be, it immediately fixed the problem. Well Scotty didn't want to take it off his detector and Mike being the super good guy that he is told him he could keep it. :arrowheadsmiley: Thank you Mike

Oh ya... I run one of Mike's stabilizer on my modded 3500 also and I wouldn't leave home with out it!

Thanks guy's.

I'm glad you like them, I have been using one for over a year and they do make a difference. I remember Russ showing me his cable connector after using pliers on it to try and cure the looseness in the connector but they are just not a good connector in my book.

Bill has them in his store and on the web site.

Thanks guy's.

I'm glad you like them, I have been using one for over a year and they do make a difference. I remember Russ showing me his cable connector after using pliers on it to try and cure the looseness in the connector but they are just not a good connector in my book.

Bill has them in his store and on the web site.

I finally had to replace the connector screw on that coil... tightening with pliers was the only way to get that coil to run quiet.

Here's the link to the topic started Nov 2012 about Mike's coil stabilizer if anyone is interested.

http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=23239

Edited by goldstudmuffin

I love that someone has finally come up with a solid fix for this inexcusable shortcoming on Minelab PI's.

I have been an advocate for coil cable stabilizers for years,

So many people have been caught up in the confusion that arises from having the coil cable causing interference.

That the solution would be invented by Mike is no surprise.

He has consistantly been at the forefront of people who figure out the best ways to operate these detectors.

Thank you Mike, I can't wait to get mine.

All the best.

Still like to see a pic. I've been running Montana's fix now for 10 years and has worked just fine. A couple of years ago, I bought one of Herbs, when Bob's fails. A lot prettier, but Bob's is still working.

Shep

Mitchell, all that site showed was Bill's 'entrance to his site'???

What is this thing and what makes it better than what after market others have offered?Just ask'n

Edited by shep

Hello Shep,

Did you see the picture on Bill's site, this stabilizer mounts right to the box and not the shaft, so any shaft flexing will not cause cable connector falsing.

post-8-0-14831700-1393213810_thumb.png

I agree with you Shep. I've been using Montana's fix for over 10 years and it works great for me too.

Shep,

Did you click on the link? It shows you how to take the screws out of your control box and place the machined metal part under those screws. Once screwed on to the control box it then will prevent cable movement because it is not secured to the moving or swinging shaft at the handle screws. Your fix may work as good as the one in the picture but the one in the picture will probably work better than the one I have.

Mitchel

Edited by mn90403

I use the Montana fix, then Herb's, but this one of Mikes is the cat's meow. It eliminates the shaft flexing effect because it is mounted on the control box. Shep..... You will like it.

Someone needs to take a better detailed picture of it installed .
I can't tell by looking at the pic but where is the "base" with the screw mounting holes can't really see how it is attached.

I just hope someone doesn't knock off Mikes' very well conceived stabilizer from the pictures being shown everywhere.

That has happened to many individuals inventions (i.e. the Hipstick was knocked off big-time in Australia).

I hope this makes it easier to see.

post-1252-0-81776600-1393280158_thumb.jp

Frank ... In order to mount it you need to remove the 2 screws on the end of the face plate of the front panel ... put the unit in place and then replace the screws. I haven't done it myself ... yet ... as I too still use the Montana fix of about 10 years ago ... but I may take the plunge at Bill's next outing next month.

Mike F

GEEEZ, :Just_Cuz_06: I wonder how that would effect the warranty on my GP3500 :yikes:

Thanks Eld

Edited by frank c

Frankie me boy ... you is outta warranty at this point! LOL

Mike F

He has it covered David, as much as possible anyway I guess....

Hi All

I have been using one of these for a couple years now :D. Works great except real noisy when I hunt with Goldstudmuffin :2mo5pow:. My machine is usually off and Goldstudmiffin makin all the noise :idunno:. He just can't shut up when we hunt together :head:. Mike Az4Au Minelab gizmo works great :4chsmu1:!! Happy Huntin John B.

Interesting!

Wouldn't worry bout 3500's warranty Frank; but more so yours ;-)