Nugget Shooter Forums
Mike Furness

Fly Tying for Western Trout and Salmon

I'm an old time fly tier for the Northern New England states and want to tie a few to fish for local trout here in AZ. Any of you guys tie? If so what patterns do you find most productive. I tied a lot of streamers back East and a few varieties of grasshoppers. I think some of those will work here too but local knowledge is the best. My Mongoose vise is looking for work and my fingers are itching to start tying again!

Mike F

I tie as well Mike. I have not been on a single fishing trip since coming here, so am of no help in pattern selection. Maybe some good info will get posted here for us all!

I can offer on ly general advice: Tie up something that looks like what's in their stomach... throw your arsenal of existing flies at them for kicks

My hat's off to y'all.

I can't see well enough, I think my fingers

are too big, and I just never had steady enouigh hands.

Black ants, g-hoppers, and catis fly work well in the

western slope streams of the Sierra.

G-hoppers and Mormon Crickets do well in the N. Nv. desert.

Maybe Az. too.

Around here a White and Spotted chicken feather tied to a Gold color hook is the Ticket. None of the 2 hour flies required.

Homey ... Never tied a hour fly in my life ... some of the fancy grasshoppers might take 20 minutes each but once I get in the grove most flies are drying on the cork in ten minutes or less per fly. I don't tie fancy but usually close in color and shape of common insects.

And yes I could probably take my entire box of Eastern NH and ME flies, toss them in the stream and never see a hit. Bugs are bugs but local bugs are best! :)

Mike F

Here in Northern CA, a grey hackle, grey hackle yellow works good.

This is the Eat Me fly. Catches saltwater and freshwater species like crazy if there are any type of minnows around. Can be tied any size or color to match the hatch. Pink and white is great in the salt. Green and gray worked well in sweet water.

eatmesequence.jpg

That there is some cool stuff. I've caught Trout with a Beer tab Spinner. Just punch a hole at both ends of the Beaver Tail and hook on one end and Swivel at the other. Give it a Small twist and watch it spin and shine. Fish aren't the smartest cows in the Aquatic Pasture.

Hey Stan ... Is that a weighted eye on that minnow or just a plastic eye. I could see the benefits of having tied both. Mike F

Mike, I've done them with, plastic, bead chain, and lead barbell eyes in diff weights. It's a pretty generic fly that is adaptable to most situations. Easy and quick to tie. Kinda like a Clouser but a little different, works on everything.

Instructions:

OK, here it is. Give me a day or two and I'll add pictures to it...

The Hamilton Special (A.K.A. : the EATME streamer)is more of a method of tying rather than a set/specific pattern. The fly can be tied from sz.6 through a sz. 5/0. Slim profile, deep profile, and the kinked nylon comes in just about every color known to man. Here is the recipe:

Hook: Sz1 and smaller, Mustad 34007 / 1/0 and larger Eagle Claw 254ss

Thread: Gudebrod nylon rod wrapping thread

Wing: kinked nylon,(Superhair, Supremehair, Ultrahair, it's all kinked nylon(KN). Uniquehair is good for very small versions)

Flash: Sparkleflash by Tiewell

Eye: 3-D Molded

All materials are in color of choice

Epoxcy: Z-poxcy 2 part / 5-minute

Step1) Hook in vise, wrap thread from hook eye back 1/3 length of hook shank. All material will be tied in from this point forward to hook eye.

Step2) First bundle of wing material(Kinked Nylon=KN) tied in, in amount great enough to encase hook shank. Not enough, hook will show through. Too much, material will spin on hook and it will be difficult to cinch down tightly on bundle.

First bundle of KN shoule be approx 2x length of overall hook.

Step3) Tying directly on top of first bundle, add second bundle of KN. All subsequent KN additions will be 1/2 amount of first,because you're only covering one side of hookshank, and approx 1/3 longer than first to make final triming easier.

Step4) Continue adding KN bundles until desired profile is achieved. Fewer bundles will make a long,slim profile. Many bundles will make deep profile. Use as few thread wraps as possible to lock in each bundle. Final epoxcy coating will do most of the holding together of finished fly. Aviod wrapping backwards over bundles as it will compress fibers against hook and reduce desired flare/profile. Stagger bundle ends at hook eye to facilitate forming nose in step 5.

Add flash material in small quantities as desired.

Step5) Fill in with thread around bundle ends/hook eye to form cone shaped nose. This should be wrapped tightly, then whip finished.

Step6) Remove from vise. Using flat jawed pliers, (pliers with teeth can cut thread) tightly sqeeze head/thread wraps on either side of cone shaped nose in position where eyes will be attached. Flattening this spot will make attaching eyes considerably easier.

Step7) Coat thread wrapping with epoxcy and attach eyes. A second filling coat around edges of eyes may be needed to remove tooth holds where fish teeth can peel eye off. Once the eye is gone, the flies effectiveness decreases drastically.

Step8) Hold fly upside down for final trimming. Start inside hook bend and trim backwards and down,(this would be from belly of fly backwards and up to back if fly was rightside up, it's just easier doing it upside down.) Some minor side trimming may be needed, KN fibers drastically protruding from the side will affect how the fly tracks/swims.

Good Luck

Of course any of this can be modified to suit your needs. :-)

Stan ... Thanks ... seems a very simple streamer fly with many, many options. Mike F

Like you Mike, I just used what I had in my tackle box with mixed results. Back east, my love was

Bass fishing, and was able to almost from my back porch, so I did often. Not so, here in NM, now I fish for meteorites. Still haven't figured out what they're biting on.

You know, Sportsmans Warehouse puts out a free seasonal newsletter that is really helpful; like a school lunch menu for trout. It will tell you what the trout are biting on almost by the day and where. Very helpful. It's a starting point, after that ask the other anglers you see.

Best of luck!

Saginaw

Edited by saginaw72

thanks Sag ... I am aware of the SW newsletter ... Thought I had signed up for it because I spend about equal amounts of money there as Cabela's. Now that you brought it to my attention I'll have to go on their site and sign again. Now as to asking other fishermen what is working ... back East I ran by the belief that "All fishermen are liars except you and me and sometimes I'm not so darn sure about you!" ... I fact I sometimes could see that applied to gold miners too! :brows::old:

Mike

"All fishermen are liars except you and me and sometimes I'm not so darn sure about you!"

LOL only when it comes to size of the fish or Numbers.

Don't be forgetting about the One that Got Away!

Edited by homefire

thanks Sag ... I am aware of the SW newsletter ... Thought I had signed up for it because I spend about equal amounts of money there as Cabela's. Now that you brought it to my attention I'll have to go on their site and sign again. Now as to asking other fishermen what is working ... back East I ran by the belief that "All fishermen are liars except you and me and sometimes I'm not so darn sure about you!" ... I fact I sometimes could see that applied to gold miners too! :brows::old:

Mike

So Mike,...

Being a miner, I ain't a bad fisherman.

Or is it?

Being a fisherman, I ain't a bad miner. :89::idunno:

SP ... Take your choice! :D:brows::4chsmu1: I have to admit I may be a better fisherman than a miner but then I have been practicing my fishing skills since I was 5 or 6 thanks to my grandfather and his canoe ... incidentally the same canoe I still paddle today! I have only been a miner since 2003 when I made my first trip to AZ as an adult!

Mike F

Hi Mike.

Did you find any info? You've got me wanting to go.

Saginaw

Edited by saginaw72

Sag ... wanting to go fishing? ... or was it something I said about back East! Can't wait to June to get back on those Atlantic Ocean Stripers from the kayak and a few 5# Brookies in Northern Maine. June is a great month to be back East ... and I'll be there all month with nothing to do but fish! Please don't feel sorry for me just because that's all I'll have to do! LOL

Mike F

That's it, rub it in. You lucky guy.

Saginaw

Brook Trout, my favorite. From Michigan, they came out with an eight inch size limit on Brookes years ago. Got so tired of killing the smaller ones with small hooks. So came up with a rig to easily un hook the small ones. Use an ultra-lite Zebco with 6-8 lb line, 12-18" floating fly line, with 12-18" of two lb leader with a #4 gold Aberdeen wire hook. Piece of worm, cricket or wax worm for bait.

Fishing down-stream in brush or woods, one can maneuver that fly-line to their liking. The under size fish can not swallow that #4 hook, so their easy to unhook and release.

The plain steel hooks do not work for some reason. Hope to make it up there this summer.

bob

Mike, ain't choo got dat fly tied yit? :idunno:

The fish 'n' I 'er a gittin' hungry. :th:

SP ... Been doing too many prospecting type stuff. Hope most of that will be done mid April and then the bench will be covered in feathers and snips of thread, chenille and tinsel/flash ... ah the smell of head cement! ... AND THEN May 8th is D-Day for drive to CO to see GF and then 2 weeks later gone fishin for a month and a half ... Soooo ... Don't call me I'll call you! LOL Really looking forward to it this year.

Mike F

I use a Rubber Band about a 2-3' up the line, with very little slack in the line when the rubber band is not stretched out, with a Kids fishing pole with a Small Floresent worm works Great on Lake Trout.

I use a Rubber Band about a 2-3' up the line, with very little slack in the line when the rubber band is not stretched out, with a Kids fishing pole with a Small Floresent worm works Great on Lake Trout.

Fish the Inlet of the Lake they like the Cool water. Use a small Tapping on the pole this makes that worm jump all around thanks to the rubber band.