Nugget Shooter Forums
Rimshot

Telescope help...

I found this on craiglist and was just wondering if it's any good and a fair price? If I looked at the moon could I see down in the craters? And what's the other mm's their talking about? I have no clue but would like a new hobby. Thank's!

http://easttexas.craigslist.org/spo/4299433968.html

Edited by Rimshot

Not a big telescope person but I know Celestron make some fine ones.

Hi Rimmy.

Below is a description of a similar scope. Read it and decide.

Celestron 102mm Wide View Spotting Scope 4" / 102 mm Refractor Telescope 52270 Product Info

Celestron 102mm Wide View Spotting Scope's 4" aperture provides bright, breath-taking views of both groundspacer.gif and celestial objects. If you're looking for high magnification of terrestrial viewing, the size of the objective lens is incredibly important, and the 102mm of the Wide View will give high-magnification details of intricate subjects. 102 mm Wide-View Spotting Scope's #52270 fully multicoated optics perform brilliantly in low light conditions, perfect for squeezing more viewing time into early mornings and late evenings. Two 1 1/4" eyepieces are included for 20x and 50x magnification. Also included is a 45 degree erect image diagonal and tripod adapter for mounting to any photographic tripod. Photographers appreciate the 102's fast (500mm f/5) optical system. Celestron 102mm-WideView classical refractor design with achromatic two-element lens made of crown and flint glass is well suited to both visual and photographic applications. Celestron 102mm Wide View Spotting Scopes-52270 are great for bird watching, astronomy and photography as well as nature study.

You won't see down into craters with it. The magnification will be about the same as a high mag pair of binoculars.

Find out about spotting scopes at this Opticsplanet link:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/spottingscopes.html

Look under Buying Info/Show More/More About Spotting Scopes
Saginaw
Edited by saginaw72

Well that's not what want then. Thank's fellows!

For the detail you're talking about, I believe your new hobby will require several thousand$$ and at least a 12" scope. Or for less $$( but more gumption with a side of raw materials//plans) build your own. THat would give you an investment in the process and good reason to proceed with gusto.

Checking out an astronomy text from a local library will give you the basics- and will be much cheaper if you should choose to not proceed... Or if your are lucky enough to live near a local college that may offer a course, as well as access to much larger scopes

.. http://www.as.utexas.edu/mcdonald/

google how to aim a telescope for a good read

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+aim+a+telescope&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS427&oq=how+to+aim+a+telescope&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Edited by weaver hillbille

Hi Rimmy.

Mr. Hillbillie's suggestion is a great one; build your own telescope.

You are looking for a new hobby, so that would be a good way to learn about telescopes.

I've never built one of my own, but it's easier than you'd think. I had a friend that built one and he and his family still use it. Optical materials are the costliest parts, but used parts are always available.

I like this idea and may build one myself next winter (got meteorites to hunt for between now and then).

Saginaw