Nugget Shooter Forums

Another identification for the newbie

Hi Guys

Im new to this game and as all newbies, have much to learn. I was recently on a trip and came across this , what I believe to be a meteorite on a friend farm.

Its about 14 inch (30 -35 cm) in diameter and 3ft ( 90cm ) in circumference, a bit larger than a soccer ball. I didnt weigh it but its very heavy and the outside texture looks like that of a Chondrite.

I would appreciate your opinion on its possible age, weight ,composition, value etc and if its is worth investing in shipping this to a scientific centre for classification.

The picture was taken early in the morning and I may have given it a burst of flash.

Thanks

Crusty

post-27109-0-21216200-1392649279_thumb.j

On the Colorado based Prospectors show they were chiseling into some big ones and finding righteous crystal masses inside. Having a 5am brain fart as to name,gettn' old sucks-John

Edited by Hoser John

Inside, yes, inside. That's what I'm curious about.

Wonder if a collage or university would x-ray it for

ya, out of their own curiosity?

I've taken fossils to UC Davis for help in ID.

They were more than happy to help, and no charge.

Crusty, there may be a rock club near you that can cut it for you or help you cut it yourself. You'd probably have to pay a shop fee and a fee for the cut, but it would probably be much cheaper than than having a commercial shop do it.