Nugget Shooter Forums

Learned a valuable lesson today!

Chris Coffee

Yesterday I posted a thread asking for some advice on a place to swing a detector in the Quartzsite area since I had only been there one other time 36 years ago, and out of 115 views I got ONE response (thank you, Mitchel. I appreciate it). So, today I realized a huge problem that I have: I put too much faith in the "goodness" of people. There have been a lot of people on this forum offer me some really good advice and help (they know who they are) and to them I want to genuinely thank you! It is truly and greatly appreciated.

And then there are others! Over the last few months my family and I have got into hunting meteorites, and I have taken quite a few folks I have met on here out to where I made some finds and did my best to put them in a spot where they could find their own stones...which, over a few trips, all of them did! We were told that we would be taken to some spots in return for us taking these folks out and helping them find some stones. Only three of them did (again, I hope they know who they are).

With gold, I can see people being that way more than with meteorites. But again that's just me being naive. When we were helping, and before their finds, my phone would ring at least once every two days. Now, I don't hear anything from them, and with one of them, when I DO get to talk to him and ask where he made a find, I get the typical "Somewhere in the desert" answer. I often wonder if I am really cut out for doing this kind of stuff with other people? I don't expect people to take me to their "honey holes" or "secret spots", but when a person tells us that they will take us while we are helping them out, and then forgets all about us when they have gotten all they want from us....it has a tendency to piss me off!

DolanDave, Mikestang, and DigitalJedi.....you guys are awesome!!!! Thank you all so much for inviting us, and/or taking us, to your spots. Whether we found anything or not, it is always a lot of fun to just hang with you guys and laugh and hunt!!! You guys will ALWAYS be welcome to join us for any and all hunts...no matter the circumstances.

Hoser John is right. Always give help when you can. You can't expect people to respond the way you might want too, but there will always be those that, in the spirit of camaraderie, will want to help you.

Karl organized a trip to GB a while back and Mitchel showed up. I had never been to GB and Karl only once or twice. To ensure a good hunt for us, Mitchel generously shared what he knew with the two of us. We were swamped with information, but Karl and I were grateful for it.

Don't give up.

Saginaw

Edited by saginaw72

Sag, I completely understand what you mean. My problem with this situation is that we didn't ask, we were just told we would be taken. Now that we are of no use we have been forgotten about. Those who know me personally can attest to the fact that I always try to do good for others. I'm sure that will never change.

I say if you take someone to your spot to have fun, and you do, your ahead of the game> If you take someone just so they will take you to there spot, then its for the wrong reason. Grubstake

I know! Because I've taken dozens of peple to my spots, they most all have found gold, I had a ball, but I have not had one person take my to there spots, did not expect them too! The reason I had them was for the fun, and thrill of seeing them find some nice gold. I'm not greedy. but have fun watching others.

Edited by grubstake
  • Like 1

CC look at it this way, now you know who your friends are.

If you want a lesson in back stabbing, visit this place. For years I've taken prospectors here to places that I'v found good gold. Because they speak the language and know the farmers I ask them if we can get a tractor for a push from the farmer that the gold was found on. Every time they have an excuse for NOT getting a tractor. Like the blade is broke, a tire has a hole in it and the farmer doesn't have the money buy a new one or it's being used by another farmer. Get the idea?

One or two weeks later I go back to that spot and lo and behold, a fresh push!!! Next time I'm alone I go ask the farmer who did the push, yep you guessed it, the "ex friend".

Their everywhere CC, so don't fret about it, just you do what's right then you can sleep better at night. :mornincoffee:

Well, just forget about those that invited you and didn't follow through. They are not the ones that you want to associate with anyway.

You do what makes YOU satisfied....

As for only one responding to your request, I'll bet 80 percent that "viewed", were not even familiar with the area. So, don't blame them. I know I probably viewed 3 time myself and I know nothing about AZ.

• Like 1

I agree with LipCa,not all of us are familiar with the Quartsite area,but we still read posts.

Here is another clue,most of the folks that do hang out there,are hobby prospectors and

spend their time on club claims. There is some more serious types,but they aren't going

to spill the beans ,if they find a good spot.

It is also possible that some that do know,never saw your post. Gold doesn't do anything

to people,that is just an excuse to cover up the fact that they were always an A hole.

When I help someone,I don't expect any form of pay,I do it because I feel like it. There is

also the chance that when you show someone where to find something,that they really don't

have a decent spot of their own.

It doesn't matter what you are doing,you are going to meet some real jerks,if you do it long

enough. The same guy that would screw you over a piece of gold,would do it over something

else too. But for every one of them there is always lots of good folks too,those are what makes

it all worth while.

Here is another tidbit,some folks ain't too picky about where they prospect,or if it is claimed or

off limits. You may not want to be caught tagging after them on their sweet spot. :idunno:

Untill someone has found a pound of gold it is harder to trust if they will stab you in the back. Newer guys are the ones I'm a little more hesitant about. When you hit the pound mark you realize just how much gold is out there and you understand it's just gold.

Chris:

There are some very good people who have told me about 'places' and they say to never share it with anyone else. Some of these same people will NEVER share some of their places with me because they think it will be impossible for me to keep it a 'secret.' They would be showing me their 'bank' and they don't want it robbed in a 'gold rush.' I understand these points of view and prefer not to be told the very secret spots (gold, meteorites, the beaches, etc.).

That being said my best finds have been found helping others or going to outings. These finds have been from shared spots where I put in additional effort.

You and your family are a very giving and you have made some really great finds on the playas. This same attitude will have you in amazing hunting spots and your finds will continue.

One of the first places to 'mine' for data for spots is to go back through other threads here on Bill's forum or some of the other forums. Search the word Quartzite (as an example) or The Q and you will find directions to and descriptions of places all around the area. (You will even find me asking some of the 'Where do I go' questions!) People on this forum have been going there for gold since the early 80s and before.

A lot of us hunters are solitary people and loners (without the proper social graces) and we sometimes want to keep our secrets. Most of the great mysteries about the West involve someone hiding something and it has never been found (or the finder never told anyone). In many cases it was never true in the first place.

Just keep hunting and remember it is ok to keep some of your spots to yourself and/or tell a little white lie about where it was found except to Alan Rubin.

Mitchel

C.C.--- this happens in all areas of life.

Years ago I started RC modeling (before Internet) seemed old timers didn't want to share advice or tips. Many of people spent lots of money learning things that were not state secrets. I realized they just didn't want anybody stealing their spot in the sun.

Same thing when I was learning to dredge. Much money and time learning the curve.

Don's post is a good one.

Go back thru this forum and read about "Area 51". Many have had this happen to them ( smaller scale ) or are fearful of it. Also there is the possibility that they are blowing smoke in the first place. Taking you to their spot will reveal they ain't as good as they say they are.

Thanks to all who have replied, even those who think I should "just get over it"...smh. I understand that not everybody know about the Quartzsite area, and I wouldn't expect someone who doesn't know to try to offer help. That makes sense, of course. I also know that there are a lot of people on here that DO know about the area as well. Please understand that I HAVE never, and WILL never, ask someone to take me to their secret spot. And I DO NOT ever take people to my spots expecting them to do the same. For my trip yesterday all I wanted was just a public land area that MAY have held gold.

Adam...to answer your question, no! I did not get to detect Quartzsite. I went to the gold show, bought two new detectors, drove to Franconia and searched around for an hour or so (not even in the strewn field, come to find out), it got dark, we left...lol.

Thanks, Mitchel. I am glad that you think of us like that. We always try to do for others. And no matter what happens, I will always be that way.

Hey Chris,

I have never prospected in Arizona, but I can give you a few pointers, which you may or may not know already.

Check out caltopo.com. Type "Quartzite, Arizona" in the search. There are the 24:000k map of the area. You can check the box for "land management" to see which ground is BLM. Looking around and you will see hundreds of prospects and gold mines. Of course many(probably most) of these are going to be claimed, but it at least gives you a starting point to research. You can use a program like MineCache to help narrow it down even better.

The honest truth is that as you stated "all I wanted was just a public land area that MAY have held gold". Anymore, this is a lot to ask... open public land that has detectable gold and is unclaimed can be hard to come by in some areas. Anyway, hope that info helps some.... you sound like a good guy, if you ever make it 1000 miles north, I'd be happy to show you a few spots. :D

Edited by IDdesertman

I have had a slightly similar problem, I know there are several local people in my area who are what you call a lurker on the forum. They only get online to check for posts that are near them to see if they can find my last dig site. In just the last few days I have had to edit and have some of my posts edited because of this. I will admit, if I am doing good in a spot and someone I don't know or don't know well wanders up and is obviously just there to see what's in my riffles I will tell them very little, and if they are pushy or rude I will screw with them a little. One of my favorites is that I always have a bucket of cons from my last few runs, sometimes that bucket builds up and I've got several days worth of cons. Throw that bucket of cons into a three bucket "test run" while that looky loo is standing over your shoulder and then show them your three bucket clean out. When they sneak out to your spot next time they will be scratching their heads in frustration trying to find the "streak" you were on. That might seem messed up to play a joke like that but in my opinion anyone who is too lazy to do the work themselves and is just looking to ride the coat tails of someone else deserves to messed with a little bit. That being said, I only have two or three spots that I wouldn't want to share, other than that I will take just about anyone and show them right where and how I get the gold. Once people see the amount of work involved they lose interest real quick.

:D Lip nailed it-I have never been there and know not of which you needed to know hence my silence. Or would you have prefered a line a bs??? By judging others so rigerously you are indeed inviting judgement upon yourself. Relax ....horrendous winter(we all have friends /relatives/kids in dire straights),taxes being done,kids in school,government attacking us from all sides,the ol'lady ....well you know. John

Edited by Hoser John

Someone that wants to take advantage of your claim but doesn't want to return the favor is showing all the signs of greed, which is someone that I don't care to be around.

I've always felt; if you loan $20.00 to someone and you never see them again....it was probably worth it.

• Like 3

Someone that wants to take advantage of your claim but doesn't want to return the favor is showing all the signs of greed, which is someone that I don't care to be around.

I've always felt; if you loan $20.00 to someone and you never see them again....it was probably worth it.

I have always felt the same, a very cheap lesson that will let you know who is who in this world, IMHO!!!

Once people see the amount of work involved they lose interest real quick.

Bingo! I have very few friends or acquaintances that are willing to do the dirty work. Besides that, just getting to my prospecting areas would kill most of them. That's a job in itself. :yikes:

Chris , you know me personally.
1 thing you have not taken into consideration about your post and feelings here is "TIMING" did I spell that right ????
Timing as in tic toc CLOCK.
I have no access to computer / internet when out in the field. Not set up for it like some others when camped out.
I was in Qzite area when you posted this Feb 14th. and I could and would have given you the "Pointy" finger NOT the middle finger.
Unfortunately I was not aware of your post.
Hapy Huntn

Back in the 80's I was stationed at Patrick AFB. Being prior to Internet way back in BC (Before Computers) I read every book I could buy or find about Mel Fisher and Kip Wagner. I spent every chance I had looking for the old 1715 wreck sites to hunt the beaches. Well I managed to find two sets of Beach markers they used to triangulate the sites in the water from land. You could hunt the Beaches as they was no mans land from High to Low Tide. I invited two guys from the base to go detecting. Both were avid beach hunters and I though had some sense of Scruples Couth.

To make a Short Story Long, everyone but Me the Detective found a Silver Reale coin. 11 in all. At the end of the day I asked if I could have one sense I located the area and all. Do you think they gave me the odd Coin???? Ya Right.. They hit that beach So Hard the State of Florida posted guards to make sure they wasn't getting in the water on the Claims.

That was my lesson of enlightenment and Don't Trust people you think are not a problem!