Nugget Shooter Forums
grubstake

Your Best Non Nugget find?

Copped socket arrowhead made during the copper culture era age 3000 to 5000 years BP.

IMG_3312.JPG

IMG_3313.JPG

IMG_3314.JPG

• Like 4
  • well done 2
  • wow 1

On 8/13/2018 at 11:52 AM, OferAZ said:

Found this a few years back in Nevada.  It was under a bunch of cedar duff and still has the bullet in the chamber.  It is a Maynard Carbine .50 cal

IMG_2829.JPG

Amazing how this works, I found your bullet and casing , both in different locations (70) miles apart. 50-70 cartridge

20181115_170021.jpg

• Like 3

Found this a few years back nuggethunting...had a nice deep target...after digging down two and half feet I though I may have struck the Big One !!:ya:. Than this little beauty came out of the hole, an 1840's- 1850's Naval officers belt buckle. Its one part of a two piece. This is as good as gold as far as I am concerned...the history behind it must be amazing. Imagine a naval officer going awol  and leaves  San Francisco for the Sierras to mine gold. California just joined the Union, and Mexico lost most of its Northern territories. 

Naval belt buckle 1.jpg

naval belt buckle 2.jpg

• Like 6
  • well done 1
  • wow 1

Looks like a ball from a ball mill, I have several in different sizes

• Like 4

On 11/15/2018 at 4:44 PM, Relichunter2016 said:

Found this a few years back nuggethunting...had a nice deep target...after digging down two and half feet I though I may have struck the Big One !!:ya:. Than this little beauty came out of the hole, an 1840's- 1850's Naval officers belt buckle. Its one part of a two piece. This is as good as gold as far as I am concerned...the history behind it must be amazing. Imagine a naval officer going awol  and leaves  San Francisco for the Sierras to mine gold. California just joined the Union, and Mexico lost most of its Northern territories. 

Naval belt buckle 1.jpg

naval belt buckle 2.jpg

Beautiful tongue buckle. That is on my sons bucket list of finds. Great job!

• Like 3
  • wow 1

15 hours ago, azdigger said:

Looks like a ball from a ball mill, I have several in different sizes

That's it AZ, found this video on youtube. Thanks

Found it not far from where I found you. Lol. You should have stayed a few more days. 

Edited by Wyoprospector
Left out
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Wyoprospector said:

That's it AZ, found this video on youtube...

Mannn, ya ever want to get back at your neighbor for whatever, set one a those up in yer side yard lol..! :inocent:

Swamp

• Like 2

The past 10 days have been the first time I've sought gold since 2004, so I consider this a fresh start (with fresh technology, too).  The coolest non-gold item I've yet found this time around is this little bottle that was wedged into a rootball along a creek.  It was well below high water line, so the bottle must have survived a ton of floods since it was placed there.  When I dug and cut it out of the roots, it was so heavy my first thought was that it was filled with gold, but when I upturned the bottle to dump the contents into my palm, out splooshed mercury.  Of course, it could very well be gold amalgam -- now I should build a retort and find out what that 58 grams of quicksilver is hiding, if anything (or I could be smart and just measure the S.G., but that's not as much fun as designing a new contraption).

This was found near ground formerly claimed by a great uncle, and I walked past the spot probably hundreds of times back when my feet and schnoz were much smaller.  If I'd had a detector back then ...

20181129_085027.jpg

20181129_085044.jpg

20181129_084929.jpg

20181129_084913.jpg

20181129_091443.jpg

Edited by Saul R W
ESL trubbles, twice.
  • Like 4
  • well done 1

Well done Saul and I will repeat for the benefit of those who were not  in our company and especially for folks new to the hobby that 'mercury' is nothing to fool with. If one decides to build a retort be sure to use it OUTSIDE of any structure. And be sure to stand upwind of the fumes just in case any escape the retort apparatus. Breathing mercury vapor is no joke and it will kill you sooner or later and if later make you madder than the mad hatter in the mean time.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mike Furness said:

Well done Saul and I will repeat for the benefit of those who were not  in our company and especially for folks new to the hobby that 'mercury' is nothing to fool with. If one decides to build a retort be sure to use it OUTSIDE of any structure. And be sure to stand upwind of the fumes just in case any escape the retort apparatus. Breathing mercury vapor is no joke and it will kill you sooner or later and if later make you madder than the mad hatter in the mean time.

I'll also add if you build a retort incorrectly or use one incorrectly they can EXPLODE, a real bomb if not used with  the proper operational knowledge and care!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2018 at 7:09 AM, Mike Furness said:

Breathing mercury vapor is no joke and it will kill you sooner or later and if later make you madder than the mad hatter in the mean time.

Absolutely, Mike.  Several generations of hatmakers and folks in the closely related feltmaking trade suffered horrible neurological and psychological symptoms (and many died) from the use of mercurous nitrate in their crafts.  I'm goofy enough without adding heavy metal poisoning to the mix.  Still, I really do want to know if my find is amalgam.  If I construct a retort, it'll be done right, and no cooking in the kitchen.

Besides a little loose mercury I found a few times in a creek in AK in the 90s, when I was about 8, I found a trickle of it running down Schemmer Drive in Prescott, collected it and played with it for a few days before my mother discovered it and took it away.  I had found it just after a strong thunderstorm, in which two transformers up the street from our house were struck.  In retrospect, I suppose that mercury came from a switch in one of the blown transformers.  Just a guess.

• Like 1

Skip .... Thank you for adding the explosive clause to my post. I guess I was just thinking of the mental damage and not the physical that a retort could do. Any way thanks again.

Saul ... I'm sure you know the warning wasn't meant for you ... I am positive that if you build a retort it will be done correctly and safely even with your current 'goofy' state of mind! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

My best non nugget find was more of a load. During a drought in central TX a popular local swimming area went dry.

It's an old low water crossing through the river bed. I detected 4 days straight probably 6 to 8 hrs a day. There was no water flow and the water that was there was hot and full of dead fish. Yummy!

I used my Minlab Excalibur 800, Etrac and AT Gold.

I stunk, BAD!

I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Screenshot_20190120-154447_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190120-154022_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190120-153633_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 6

That's a good load alright. Congrats. What was the oldest coin you found?

Nothing real old.

1 wheat penny 1950 and 1 silver quarter, I think it was a 54.

This river floods bad. Its shallow gravel on granite bedrock. Water is usually 2 or 3 ft deep with a couple of spots around 7 ft. Last years big flood that took out the bridge in Kingsland TX the water was 41 ft deep over that crossing. Blew everything out. Lots of goodies probably scattered all over the gravel bars down stream.

Dang man you killed it!