Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums
grubstake

Your Best Non Nugget find?

Recommended Posts

Nice ship Adam. This is still my favorite find.

20170127_112631.jpg

20170127_112917.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best non nugget find would have to be the 5 dollar 1/4 eagle gold coin I found detecting under an old mercantile building in the Motherlode region...One item I wish I never sold.:idunno:..ohh and my Model 1873 44-40 cal Winchester..darn that still hurts.....:ROFL:.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2017 at 11:31 AM, nugget108 said:

Nice ship Adam. This is still my favorite find.

20170127_112631.jpg

20170127_112917.jpg

I do know of five of these being found they are a mortar and should be a pestle near by.  I'll try and get some pics of others I know of. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have hunted and hunted for the pestle. Big coils for going deep and different machines lol. Just can't seem to come up with it. My dad found a half of one years back. It wasn't as deep though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not the best find but surely the oddest. I was out in the woods in an old tertiary river bed, beeping for gold when I got a solid non ferrous signal.  To say I was excited would be an understatement.  Got to digging feverishly, only to find a pristine bronze plumb bob, which I think is filled with mercury.  How it got way out there, I'll never know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not one that will usually post things I have found or for that matter even talk about things I have found that much, but while i was living in Ohio the house I owned was built in 1889 this was around 2009-2012 the age of the house is what actually got me into metal detecting I purchased a Xterra 705 and started detecting my property which was approximately 3/4 of an acre of land, after grid-ding the property off and detecting it for a couple of months i found quite a few mercury dimes and other cool things but the best find was not found in the yard but under the house in a crawl space attached to the basement, the crawl space had a dirt floor it was an area that was 20 ft wide and 30 ft long with an 8 ft ceiling in it plenty of room to work a metal detector, I started detecting it along the walls of it got to the furthest back wall in the crawl space and had a very good signal but it was bouncing all over the place and giving a depth reading of around 8-10 inches so i proceeded to dig it up, dug down to around 6 inches and hit a wooden box was thinking what in the world finished digging it out and realized it dad a lid that opened I was shaking pretty hard at this point opened it up and it was full of all kinds of coins decided to get out of the crawl space before taking a closer look at what I had found once I got out of the crawl space and took what I found upstairs out of the basement I dumped the contents out on my kitchen table and started going through everything there was silver half's and dimes buffalo nickels but the best was 12- 2.5 dollar gold pieces from the 1800 still have all of it in the box after finding that box I went back into the crawl space and finished detecting it but never found anything else in the crawl space.  

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool find indeed, man my heart would have been pumping seeing that box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No everyday find for sure! Congrats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2017 at 4:20 PM, Bill Southern said:

Very cool find indeed, man my heart would have been pumping seeing that box.

I will tell you I was shaking like a leaf in a whirl wind when I found it I gave the gold pieces to my mom when I came back to AZ for Christmas one year and when she passed two years ago they were given back to me as part of my inheritance but that find I have never topped  in the several years since finding it and don't know what kind of a find would ever top it for me maybe that two pound nugget LOL 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
On 12/29/2016 at 3:40 PM, GDM/PV said:

Have you ever had one of those: "HOW IN THE @!#@ DID THIS GET HERE FINDS???"  Many moons ago I was detecting down in a tributary-wash between Bumble Bee and Cleator Arizona.  I was working up the wash on a steep-grade-area of exposed bedrock when I got a very strong signal.  When I finally worked the target out of a semi-deep crevice (crack), I was "shocked" to see the rusted-lower-hook-part (remnant) of a fish hook???  After taking a "Double-Take-Look" ( a couple of times) I tried to rationalize what I had just found, but began to get a headache. ....Have you ever had one of those moments when you just stop, look around, and ask yourself:  "What in the @!#@ is this doing here???  This was one of mine.  ...For those of you who are "Not" familiar with this area: ...The nearest lake of any size is at least 50 (or so) miles away; ...All of the washes and their supplying tributaries are always bone-dry, where the only water running down them is during the monsoon season; ...There where no stock tanks anywhere even close to the area; ...Black Canyon, (the major wash that runs thru the area from the north) is at least 2-miles away, has "no fish" in it, and is normally dry (other than during the winter, and monsoon season).  On top of all of the above, I was about half way up on the side of a mountain, (not just a hill) a rugged, rocky mountain.  I am still baffled by it to this day???  What did I do with the fish hook remnant???  I thought that I might share my experience, so I put it back in the crevice with hopes that someone else will detect over it eventually and consider it to be an interesting and "baffling" find as I did.  Gary 

It fell off some prospectors hat :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, jjbond said:

It fell off some prospectors hat :D

I don't know Jen,  That's "Streatch'n" it a bit.  I don't think that I have ever run across any prospector ( at least here in Arizona) out in the field that was wearing a hat of any kind with a metal fish hook hooked to it,...They may have had a hat with an embroidered hook on it!!!  

That reminds me of another weird find that I experienced:  I was up just out of Williams, Az. hiking around looking for an old Indian ruin that I had found as a kid.  I was almost to the top of one of the mountains called "the three sisters" (three extinct volcano's).  I was way up high in the pines with heavy brush, rock outcrops and volcanic material everywhere.  The only thing that most likely frequents this altitude is elk, deer, and bears.  I was on a faint deer trail and decided to stop for a rest to take a breather (don't ask me why I stopped there as opposed to another spot,,.. I just did).  Anyway, while gasping for air and trying to drop my blood pressure down a bit, I scanned the view over the valley--quite impressive.  When I looked down ( I am usually very observant of deer droppings and especially look for bear droppings) out of the corner of my eye I spotted what looked to me to be something "pink" lying in a small bush?????  I thought, what-the-heck-is-that"???  I leaned over and picked it up and saw that it was a "pink"-woman's golf ball.  I think it had PRO-WOMANS printed on it.  So here I am standing almost to the top of an extinct volcano at about 8000-9000 feet up with this "pink" woman's Pro golf ball in my hand looking around wondering:  How in the hell did this get here???  I think that the nearest golf course may be at least 30-miles away??  So I stuffed it into my pocket and headed home.  I didn't realize it until much later, that crows (or ravens) have a habit of picking up golf balls in their beaks and taking them to their nest as food(???) I don't think this pink golf ball made it to the nest,.......maybe the bird didn't like the color "pink".  Gary 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my favorites is popped balloon with a note on the string or a lost hobby glider. I could go on I've found some crazy things out there.

AzNuggetBob

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or when a friend of mine and I where pounding a patch worked by the old timers and I dug up a 5 dollar gold piece.that was a shocker. well I cant find the photo of all the nuggets we found in that patch but here is a photo of the gold coin and some jewelry I made from some of the nuggets.
AzNuggetBob

a-coin 001.JPG

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
1 hour ago, GDM/PV said:

I don't know Jen,  That's "Streatch'n" it a bit.  I don't think that I have ever run across any prospector ( at least here in Arizona) out in the field that was wearing a hat of any kind with a metal fish hook hooked to it,...They may have had a hat with an embroidered hook on it!!!  

That reminds me of another weird find that I experienced:  I was up just out of Williams, Az. hiking around looking for an old Indian ruin that I had found as a kid.  I was almost to the top of one of the mountains called "the three sisters" (three extinct volcano's).  I was way up high in the pines with heavy brush, rock outcrops and volcanic material everywhere.  The only thing that most likely frequents this altitude is elk, deer, and bears.  I was on a faint deer trail and decided to stop for a rest to take a breather (don't ask me why I stopped there as opposed to another spot,,.. I just did).  Anyway, while gasping for air and trying to drop my blood pressure down a bit, I scanned the view over the valley--quite impressive.  When I looked down ( I am usually very observant of deer droppings and especially look for bear droppings) out of the corner of my eye I spotted what looked to me to be something "pink" lying in a small bush?????  I thought, what-the-heck-is-that"???  I leaned over and picked it up and saw that it was a "pink"-woman's golf ball.  I think it had PRO-WOMANS printed on it.  So here I am standing almost to the top of an extinct volcano at about 8000-9000 feet up with this "pink" woman's Pro golf ball in my hand looking around wondering:  How in the hell did this get here???  I think that the nearest golf course may be at least 30-miles away??  So I stuffed it into my pocket and headed home.  I didn't realize it until much later, that crows (or ravens) have a habit of picking up golf balls in their beaks and taking them to their nest as food(???) I don't think this pink golf ball made it to the nest,.......maybe the bird didn't like the color "pink".  Gary 

Sounds like you just solved your fish hook question as well. :4chsmu1:

Iiiiiiiii bettttt it was stuck in a fish, that an eagle grabbed and brought back to eat..hahaha (kidding)

Edited by Guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jjbond said:

Sounds like you just solved your fish hook question as well. :4chsmu1:

Iiiiiiiii bettttt it was stuck in a fish, that an eagle grabbed and brought back to eat..hahaha (kidding)

Yea, and maybe that O'l  gal (golf pro) that hit the golf ball must have had a "Hell-of -a swing" on her.:ROFL:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I know where the pink golf ball came from.

https://youtu.be/f-FxhCZold0

AzNuggetBob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jjbond said:

Stranger things have happened my friend..

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-20/image-of-iconic-murray-cod-with-belly-full-of-golf-balls/7341514

darn that fish has big balls.

Jen

7341660-3x2-940x627.jpg

I don't know that they are so big??, but I'd say they are definitely "numerous", and cause for concern.  I don't think that the poop-chute would even be able to pass those without "a-bit-of-"pain"" :cry2:  The fish was probably lucky to have been caught and gutted ,.:tisk-tisk:...............And the fisherman scored some free golf balls for their next t-off.  Gary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jenn not kidding like the moon golf ball . on the fish hook, my best guess? someone cleaned their pick magnet. Did you find a lot of iron trash around it?

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of my favorite finds are what the OleTimers left behind.  It's a good reminder of how hard they had to work at getting the gold.

IMG_1496 (1).JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2017 at 6:46 PM, jjbond said:

Stranger things have happened my friend..

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-20/image-of-iconic-murray-cod-with-belly-full-of-golf-balls/7341514

darn that fish has big balls.

Jen

7341660-3x2-940x627.jpg

Jenn My best guess on the golf ball fish (bass whatever) it probably lived in a pond on a golf course. they tend to be very aggressive to anything that threatens their nest and will kill or eat anything that threatens the nest. 

AzNuggetBob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hiked into a remote wash yesterday and came across some old timer diggings. Solder dot cans and square nails abounded. The prize of the day was this.

Only a foot down it made the gb2 scream like a little girl. I wondered why there would be a nozzle jet in the desert...but my question was answered when I stumbled across the remnants of an old dam in an upper wash. That nozzle is a bit small for hydraulic mining, but maybe they were cleaning bedrock with it?

 

 

 

 

tmp_14158-20180122_1252472033759555.jpg

Edited by ArcticDave
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool find thanks for sharing

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...