Nugget Shooter Forums
grubstake

Your Best Non Nugget find?

Nice ship Adam. This is still my favorite find.

20170127_112631.jpg

20170127_112917.jpg

• Like 5

Best non nugget find would have to be the 5 dollar 1/4 eagle gold coin I found detecting under an old mercantile building in the Motherlode region...One item I wish I never sold.:idunno:..ohh and my Model 1873 44-40 cal Winchester..darn that still hurts.....:ROFL:.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2017 at 11:31 AM, nugget108 said:

Nice ship Adam. This is still my favorite find.

20170127_112631.jpg

20170127_112917.jpg

I do know of five of these being found they are a mortar and should be a pestle near by.  I'll try and get some pics of others I know of. 

I have hunted and hunted for the pestle. Big coils for going deep and different machines lol. Just can't seem to come up with it. My dad found a half of one years back. It wasn't as deep though.

Not the best find but surely the oddest. I was out in the woods in an old tertiary river bed, beeping for gold when I got a solid non ferrous signal.  To say I was excited would be an understatement.  Got to digging feverishly, only to find a pristine bronze plumb bob, which I think is filled with mercury.  How it got way out there, I'll never know.

• Like 1

I am not one that will usually post things I have found or for that matter even talk about things I have found that much, but while i was living in Ohio the house I owned was built in 1889 this was around 2009-2012 the age of the house is what actually got me into metal detecting I purchased a Xterra 705 and started detecting my property which was approximately 3/4 of an acre of land, after grid-ding the property off and detecting it for a couple of months i found quite a few mercury dimes and other cool things but the best find was not found in the yard but under the house in a crawl space attached to the basement, the crawl space had a dirt floor it was an area that was 20 ft wide and 30 ft long with an 8 ft ceiling in it plenty of room to work a metal detector, I started detecting it along the walls of it got to the furthest back wall in the crawl space and had a very good signal but it was bouncing all over the place and giving a depth reading of around 8-10 inches so i proceeded to dig it up, dug down to around 6 inches and hit a wooden box was thinking what in the world finished digging it out and realized it dad a lid that opened I was shaking pretty hard at this point opened it up and it was full of all kinds of coins decided to get out of the crawl space before taking a closer look at what I had found once I got out of the crawl space and took what I found upstairs out of the basement I dumped the contents out on my kitchen table and started going through everything there was silver half's and dimes buffalo nickels but the best was 12- 2.5 dollar gold pieces from the 1800 still have all of it in the box after finding that box I went back into the crawl space and finished detecting it but never found anything else in the crawl space.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Very cool find indeed, man my heart would have been pumping seeing that box.

No everyday find for sure! Congrats!

On 8/1/2017 at 4:20 PM, Bill Southern said:

Very cool find indeed, man my heart would have been pumping seeing that box.

I will tell you I was shaking like a leaf in a whirl wind when I found it I gave the gold pieces to my mom when I came back to AZ for Christmas one year and when she passed two years ago they were given back to me as part of my inheritance but that find I have never topped  in the several years since finding it and don't know what kind of a find would ever top it for me maybe that two pound nugget LOL 

• Like 3

On 12/29/2016 at 3:40 PM, GDM/PV said:

Have you ever had one of those: "HOW IN THE @!#@ DID THIS GET HERE FINDS???"  Many moons ago I was detecting down in a tributary-wash between Bumble Bee and Cleator Arizona.  I was working up the wash on a steep-grade-area of exposed bedrock when I got a very strong signal.  When I finally worked the target out of a semi-deep crevice (crack), I was "shocked" to see the rusted-lower-hook-part (remnant) of a fish hook???  After taking a "Double-Take-Look" ( a couple of times) I tried to rationalize what I had just found, but began to get a headache. ....Have you ever had one of those moments when you just stop, look around, and ask yourself:  "What in the @!#@ is this doing here???  This was one of mine.  ...For those of you who are "Not" familiar with this area: ...The nearest lake of any size is at least 50 (or so) miles away; ...All of the washes and their supplying tributaries are always bone-dry, where the only water running down them is during the monsoon season; ...There where no stock tanks anywhere even close to the area; ...Black Canyon, (the major wash that runs thru the area from the north) is at least 2-miles away, has "no fish" in it, and is normally dry (other than during the winter, and monsoon season).  On top of all of the above, I was about half way up on the side of a mountain, (not just a hill) a rugged, rocky mountain.  I am still baffled by it to this day???  What did I do with the fish hook remnant???  I thought that I might share my experience, so I put it back in the crevice with hopes that someone else will detect over it eventually and consider it to be an interesting and "baffling" find as I did.  Gary 

It fell off some prospectors hat :D

54 minutes ago, jjbond said:

It fell off some prospectors hat :D

I don't know Jen,  That's "Streatch'n" it a bit.  I don't think that I have ever run across any prospector ( at least here in Arizona) out in the field that was wearing a hat of any kind with a metal fish hook hooked to it,...They may have had a hat with an embroidered hook on it!!!  

That reminds me of another weird find that I experienced:  I was up just out of Williams, Az. hiking around looking for an old Indian ruin that I had found as a kid.  I was almost to the top of one of the mountains called "the three sisters" (three extinct volcano's).  I was way up high in the pines with heavy brush, rock outcrops and volcanic material everywhere.  The only thing that most likely frequents this altitude is elk, deer, and bears.  I was on a faint deer trail and decided to stop for a rest to take a breather (don't ask me why I stopped there as opposed to another spot,,.. I just did).  Anyway, while gasping for air and trying to drop my blood pressure down a bit, I scanned the view over the valley--quite impressive.  When I looked down ( I am usually very observant of deer droppings and especially look for bear droppings) out of the corner of my eye I spotted what looked to me to be something "pink" lying in a small bush?????  I thought, what-the-heck-is-that"???  I leaned over and picked it up and saw that it was a "pink"-woman's golf ball.  I think it had PRO-WOMANS printed on it.  So here I am standing almost to the top of an extinct volcano at about 8000-9000 feet up with this "pink" woman's Pro golf ball in my hand looking around wondering:  How in the hell did this get here???  I think that the nearest golf course may be at least 30-miles away??  So I stuffed it into my pocket and headed home.  I didn't realize it until much later, that crows (or ravens) have a habit of picking up golf balls in their beaks and taking them to their nest as food(???) I don't think this pink golf ball made it to the nest,.......maybe the bird didn't like the color "pink".  Gary 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One of my favorites is popped balloon with a note on the string or a lost hobby glider. I could go on I've found some crazy things out there.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

Or when a friend of mine and I where pounding a patch worked by the old timers and I dug up a 5 dollar gold piece.that was a shocker. well I cant find the photo of all the nuggets we found in that patch but here is a photo of the gold coin and some jewelry I made from some of the nuggets.
AzNuggetBob

a-coin 001.JPG

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GDM/PV said:

I don't know Jen,  That's "Streatch'n" it a bit.  I don't think that I have ever run across any prospector ( at least here in Arizona) out in the field that was wearing a hat of any kind with a metal fish hook hooked to it,...They may have had a hat with an embroidered hook on it!!!  

That reminds me of another weird find that I experienced:  I was up just out of Williams, Az. hiking around looking for an old Indian ruin that I had found as a kid.  I was almost to the top of one of the mountains called "the three sisters" (three extinct volcano's).  I was way up high in the pines with heavy brush, rock outcrops and volcanic material everywhere.  The only thing that most likely frequents this altitude is elk, deer, and bears.  I was on a faint deer trail and decided to stop for a rest to take a breather (don't ask me why I stopped there as opposed to another spot,,.. I just did).  Anyway, while gasping for air and trying to drop my blood pressure down a bit, I scanned the view over the valley--quite impressive.  When I looked down ( I am usually very observant of deer droppings and especially look for bear droppings) out of the corner of my eye I spotted what looked to me to be something "pink" lying in a small bush?????  I thought, what-the-heck-is-that"???  I leaned over and picked it up and saw that it was a "pink"-woman's golf ball.  I think it had PRO-WOMANS printed on it.  So here I am standing almost to the top of an extinct volcano at about 8000-9000 feet up with this "pink" woman's Pro golf ball in my hand looking around wondering:  How in the hell did this get here???  I think that the nearest golf course may be at least 30-miles away??  So I stuffed it into my pocket and headed home.  I didn't realize it until much later, that crows (or ravens) have a habit of picking up golf balls in their beaks and taking them to their nest as food(???) I don't think this pink golf ball made it to the nest,.......maybe the bird didn't like the color "pink".  Gary 

Sounds like you just solved your fish hook question as well. :4chsmu1:

Iiiiiiiii bettttt it was stuck in a fish, that an eagle grabbed and brought back to eat..hahaha (kidding)

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, jjbond said:

Sounds like you just solved your fish hook question as well. :4chsmu1:

Iiiiiiiii bettttt it was stuck in a fish, that an eagle grabbed and brought back to eat..hahaha (kidding)

Yea, and maybe that O'l  gal (golf pro) that hit the golf ball must have had a "Hell-of -a swing" on her.:ROFL:

Well I know where the pink golf ball came from.

https://youtu.be/f-FxhCZold0

AzNuggetBob

2 hours ago, jjbond said:

Stranger things have happened my friend..

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-20/image-of-iconic-murray-cod-with-belly-full-of-golf-balls/7341514

darn that fish has big balls.

Jen

7341660-3x2-940x627.jpg

I don't know that they are so big??, but I'd say they are definitely "numerous", and cause for concern.  I don't think that the poop-chute would even be able to pass those without "a-bit-of-"pain"" :cry2:  The fish was probably lucky to have been caught and gutted ,.:tisk-tisk:...............And the fisherman scored some free golf balls for their next t-off.  Gary

Jenn not kidding like the moon golf ball . on the fish hook, my best guess? someone cleaned their pick magnet. Did you find a lot of iron trash around it?

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

Some of my favorite finds are what the OleTimers left behind.  It's a good reminder of how hard they had to work at getting the gold.

IMG_1496 (1).JPG

• Like 4

On 11/2/2017 at 6:46 PM, jjbond said:

Stranger things have happened my friend..

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-20/image-of-iconic-murray-cod-with-belly-full-of-golf-balls/7341514

darn that fish has big balls.

Jen

7341660-3x2-940x627.jpg

Jenn My best guess on the golf ball fish (bass whatever) it probably lived in a pond on a golf course. they tend to be very aggressive to anything that threatens their nest and will kill or eat anything that threatens the nest. 

AzNuggetBob

I hiked into a remote wash yesterday and came across some old timer diggings. Solder dot cans and square nails abounded. The prize of the day was this.

Only a foot down it made the gb2 scream like a little girl. I wondered why there would be a nozzle jet in the desert...but my question was answered when I stumbled across the remnants of an old dam in an upper wash. That nozzle is a bit small for hydraulic mining, but maybe they were cleaning bedrock with it?

tmp_14158-20180122_1252472033759555.jpg

Edited by ArcticDave
  • Like 6

Cool find thanks for sharing

• Like 1