Nugget Shooter Forums

Your Best Non Nugget find?

grubstake

So far while detecting it would be this miner's candleholder.... I know they are somewhat semi-common but still love this little beauty as I dug up with my brand new Fisher Gold Bug 2 back in 1997. The Gold Bug 2 was my first metal detector and it was the start of my metal detecting passion.... This find is part of those early beginnings.

It was found in the tailings heap of a small mine near the Middle Camp area just outside Quartzsite, AZ.

Miners candleholder 1.jpg

Miners candleholder 2.jpg

Miners candleholder 3.jpg

Miners candleholder 4.jpg

Edited by Deep Beeps
photo format did not work
  • well done 2

Of all the sweet relics my boys and i have found the last several years of detecting, that is one thing we have never found!! Definitely a bucket lister for us! Awesome find for sure!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Deep Beeps said:

So far while detecting it would be this miner's candleholder.... I know they are somewhat semi-common but still love this little beauty as I dug up with my brand new Fisher Gold Bug 2 back in 1997. The Gold Bug 2 was my first metal detector and it was the start of my metal detecting passion.... This find is part of those early beginnings.

It was found in the tailings heap of a small mine near the Middle Camp area just outside Quartzsite, AZ.

Miners candleholder 1.jpg

Miners candleholder 2.jpg

Miners candleholder 3.jpg

Miners candleholder 4.jpg

Some of those candleholders are worth big money...like thousand of dollars.

That's a nice one.

• Like 1
  • wow 1

6 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Some of those candleholders are worth big money...like thousand of dollars.

That's a nice one.

I had no idea. My family had several open pit coal mines back in Pennsylvania and I think we have lots of these along with telephones, shovels, picks crockware, water jugs, etc that they found when cutting through old mines in the pits. 

14 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

Of all the sweet relics my boys and i have found the last several years of detecting, that is one thing we have never found!! Definitely a bucket lister for us! Awesome find for sure!

Thanks Nugget,

Needless to say I was really excited when I found it. Back then I was wide-eyed and everything sounded like a big 1 ouncer. :Diggin_a_hole:

I think this mine is from the late 1800's..... So maybe it's that old.

• Like 1

I posted a link on nuggetshooters years ago about that one rare candleholder that came from a coal mine on the east coast that was worth thousands.

Can't find it any more but will keep looking.

It was just a plain looking candleholder but for whatever reason it was worth big bucks. Maybe it was made my some historical figure like Franklin or someone else. Can't remember the reason.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deep Beeps said:

Thanks Nugget,

Needless to say I was really excited when I found it. Back then I was wide-eyed and everything sounded like a big 1 ouncer. :Diggin_a_hole:

I think this mine is from the late 1800's..... So maybe it's that old.

Definitely 1800s find for sure!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Morlock said:

I posted a link on nuggetshooters years ago about that one rare candleholder that came from a coal mine on the east coast that was worth thousands.

Can't find it any more but will keep looking.

It was just a plain looking candleholder but for whatever reason it was worth big bucks. Maybe it was made my some historical figure like Franklin or someone else. Can't remember the reason.

I really didnt know.... My father has passed but my older brother may know where they are. We had a few open pit coal mines in the 70's and often hit the old mines. In fact one time a Cat D9 fell through into one as they got close to that layer of coal. I think we had lots of them... The mines were full of old tools and stuff.