Nugget Shooter Forums

How to Properly Approach a New Patch

Calgeologist

Greetings,

I posted a while back about a location that I found that had never been detected. It was a small little area about a 1/4 to a 1/2 acre in size.

My question being a new detectorist is how do I make sure I don't miss anything? Being inexperienced I feel as though I have swung over pretty much every inch, but I know thats probably not the case.

I was using a GMT with the readings around 74 for mineralization. Would running over the area with a PI do much?

Any suggestions on how to properly work the area would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

J.D.

post-26983-0-92728800-1392351037_thumb.j

Yep, if there is gold there, it might pay you to do just that, work in the Buck brush, up close to the base, and sometimes nuggets are in the roots, That looks good, Running a Pi will let you know for sure, Beleave me, I've found lots of nuggets on my hands and knee's under brush. Grubstake

• Like 1

If you have an eTrac or a 3030 you can program it so that you know you have complete coverage. If you have some other more detailed GPS app or something like that then you will be able to record it.

A much simpler way is just take a tape or a string and grid it.

Mitchel

First off Calgeo has gold been found in the area, if this is in Texas go grab a bowl of chili and a Corona.....if yes then work the wash.

My coil swings are 6 ft., low and slow and I always have a spot/object picked out ahead of me to go to so I won't be wandering all over the place. When you turn to come back it's easy to figure how far over you need to move, keeping in mind you should over-lap your swings.

Then when you finish that direction, turn and beep 90° in the new direction. Then if you hit gold grid two more times at a 90° turn. That way you will have covered the area in four different directions.

Then like Grubby says hit the brush. I carry in the PU the long handled pruning shears for this kind of work so I can get all the way under the trees. If you get a signal in the tree roots the shears also come in handy there.

Good luck.

First do all the open areas,which may lead you to a hotspot. Then 1 by one on your knees to check under them brush. From that pic you'd spend days hacking and a wacking and MUCH better idea to just get down to the ground and get it on and save all them hours of work for recovery,detecting and beer drinkn' that night celebrating :oregonian_winesmiley: John

First off Calgeo has gold been found in the area, if this is in Texas go grab a bowl of chili and a Corona.....if yes then work the wash.

My coil swings are 6 ft., low and slow and I always have a spot/object picked out ahead of me to go to so I won't be wandering all over the place. When you turn to come back it's easy to figure how far over you need to move, keeping in mind you should over-lap your swings.

Then when you finish that direction, turn and beep 90° in the new direction. Then if you hit gold grid two more times at a 90° turn. That way you will have covered the area in four different directions.

Then like Grubby says hit the brush. I carry in the PU the long handled pruning shears for this kind of work so I can get all the way under the trees. If you get a signal in the tree roots the shears also come in handy there.

Good luck.

This is back in California and a little shoot off of the main eocene channels. There was a small hydro operation with a sluice and monitor. My first go through found 7 nuggets for around 2 grams. Not bad for my first trip! Problem is Im sitting here in Texas while I'm itching to get back to california.

I think the next step is get on the ground.

As for a concentration I found three that got caught in the bedrock entering the sluice. The rest were in clay. Not sure how far down bedrock is in some of the patch as it really only exposes itself as a knob right next to the sluice.

There was some weathered rock that I believe was just the clay rich base of the old channel.

Thanks for the tips!