Nugget Shooter Forums

Hunting Around a Crater

I am going back to OZ in july.Will be going on a six week search for lasseters reef. On the way we will swing by a remote meteor crater to detect for space rocks.Where would you detect? I know the little ones fall out first,so i'm guessing in the direction it came from?In austrailia you can only bring back 25kilo's of material so I think I should look for small ones.If we find lasseters reef I will be bringing back 25kilo's of gold instead LOL any help or Idea's on the crater sight>>>thanks KELLY

Kelly,

Ive got some experience chasing meteorites with my metal detector. What works for me is to find a map of the strewn field and work your way out from the larger rocks were found. If it were me Id focus away from the crater because its probably been worked pretty hard. PM me the name of the crater and I can see if I can dig up a strewn field map.

Kevin

Kelly,

Just research your crater area because that event is so big that it has created a debris field unlike any other. The direction of the meteorite and the geology of what it hit will determine what survived, how big and in what direction to look.

Talk to people who have hunted Meteor Crater in Arizona. That is not a strewn field as they are looking for pieces that have scattered after impact.

Can you ship any extra weight or is that the limit on the small plane getting you back to civilization?

Mitchel

Mitchel under a miner's right which is the permit to detect and fossic you can collect 25 kilos' of whatever thats about 60 lbs.How you get that home is up to you,I know you must declare gold,The custom agent told me you must declare everything you aquire over there.so you got to tell them all you got/

Kelly,

Also check the metbul, and see if any have been found, classified there, it will show you the gps cords of any finds.

Dave.

Thanks dave and kevin good to hear from you desertpilot last time you were going to show those copper nugs you found over by airav were they copper are was there some silver or gold also? Later this week or next they are sending me a portfolio on are exspedition so i don't know the crater yet ,only that its in remote central western austrailia.We are going over 1000 km on Quads over six weeks

Kelly, I think you are getting MIS-information...WA and the NT claim all meteoric material for the Crown (government) and there are very strict laws about removing heritage materials from Oz without the proper permits. You can take myth and rumour as fact or you can contact the appropriate authorities...save your self some trouble!

A fossicking permit cover gems and minerials-meteorites are not in that class!

fred

Mitchel the trip is booked full 10 are going.Even the few women going are well exsperienced detectorists Fred thanks i am going to make sure all bases are covered,I know they have got some and are waiting on other permits to do what we are trying to do.Some to cross abaridganal lands and ride quads across were we need to go,so the meteor thing will be covered i'm sure.But will double check,they have been working on this for a few years and Itrust them fully but still will check myself LOL

Edited by kelly starkey

Hi Kelly and All

Fred is pretty much correct. Meteorites in Australia are property of the crown. They do allow some to be exported with permits but only ones that they have plenty of material on and it's still a lengthy process to get an export permit. The craters I'm aware of in Western Australia are Wolf Creek crater outside of Halls Creek, Dahlgaranga crater (sp?) outside of Que and Boxhole craters in the Northern Territory.

Happy Huntin John B.

Lassiter was a surveyer...How does a surveyer get lost? And if he can get lost, how does one trust his work????

Kelly, that is a grand tour you are embarking on...I hope you find the Reef, lots of meteorites that you can keep and have the time of your life!!!

While I gave you unasked for advise, I didnot answer your question. In my not expert opinion;If you can reseach the strewn fields and want smaller specimens then go to the beginning of the field, if you want thumpers go to the far end. But always try to work areas that anot attractive to those that are after the easy stuff. The rim is likely to have a lot of overburden similar to the meteor Crater.

I wish I was going...best wishes and good hunting

fred

Johnno;

your Father's spirit and the dream live on...you and Kat can go search....maybe your Father will guide you...

my Dad was my best friend I will always miss him. I have a knife that my brother made to memoralize his birth and passing; I always take it and his Spirit with me on my searches...

fred

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the portfolio on my trip the meteor crater is on plan C so it might not happen,to far of a route for or 6 week tour.The crater is in central WA,called Veevers it was discovered in 1975,there has been about 1 kilo of fragments recovered of IIAB type,only the second know impact place these types are found the other is in Russia.E.M.and C.S. Shoemaker in 1990 found frags there in 1990 to confirm it was a impact crater.It's 70m across,they think the meteorite was 100-1000 tonnes.

:200: I could tell y'all a story about hunting around a crater....but I won't! :200:

Hi John B. Didn't get to run me over this year at Tuscon!

Jim