Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

d_day

Big news for California!

California's "may issue" CCW policy has been struck down. Under the may issue policy, local law enforcement decided if CCW permits would be issued, and could discriminate against one person or all people on a whim. This has been deemed unconstitutional and will now be replaced with a "shall issue" policy. That means as long as you meet minimum requirements (no convictions, firearm proficiency, etc.) you can get a permit to carry a concealed firearm.

http://blog.joehuffman.org/2014/02/13/may-issue-ccw-struck-down-in-california/

YEAH, unbelievable from the 9th circuit, but fantastic news

Congrats to you in CA... seems like you may be gaining some of your freedom back if only a little at a time. :thumbsupanim

I got a ccw about 4 yrs ago and never have carried my gun on me. Just never seen a need for it. Besides, it's uncomfortable to carry regardless of where you put it. But if you want to carry lets throw out a situation and see what you think.

Now look at this from the stand point of a juror listening to a case.

OK, John don't have a ccw but always carries for protection. John goes to 7-11 to get some milk. When he comes out of store he is jumped by 3 men with baseball bats wanting to rob him. They start swinging away at John and he's dodging them left and right. Finally John decides enuf is enuf and pulls out his 45 and gives them warning. They continues to swing their bats and John shoots them dead and calls police.

What verdict would you decide? Do you think a ccw would have changed the verdict?

What i'm saying is if you have a ccw it don't matter much. It all depends on the situation. That's my 2 cent's.. :4chsmu1:

I got a ccw about 4 yrs ago and never have carried my gun on me. Just never seen a need for it. Besides, it's uncomfortable to carry regardless of where you put it. But if you want to carry lets throw out a situation and see what you think.

Now look at this from the stand point of a juror listening to a case.

OK, John don't have a ccw but always carries for protection. John goes to 7-11 to get some milk. When he comes out of store he is jumped by 3 men with baseball bats wanting to rob him. They start swinging away at John and he's dodging them left and right. Finally John decides enuf is enuf and pulls out his 45 and gives them warning. They continues to swing their bats and John shoots them dead and calls police.

What verdict would you decide? Do you think a ccw would have changed the verdict?

What i'm saying is if you have a ccw it don't matter much. It all depends on the situation. That's my 2 cent's.. :4chsmu1:

The verdict on the homicides would be the same regardless, not guilty. However, the additional charge of carrying a concealed weapon (a misdemeanor for a first time offense) would get a guilty verdict.

Best be judged by twelve than buried by six!

I got a ccw about 4 yrs ago and never have carried my gun on me. Just never seen a need for it. Besides, it's uncomfortable to carry regardless of where you put it.

I read a stat awhile back that 90% of those with a concealed carry permit never carry full time. Many (like you) feel it's uncomfortable. Others stated that it don't fit with their lifestyle, (work, home, recreation, etc.)

Speaking for myself... It takes a lot of mental training and discipline to carry a weapon each day. First you have to find a comfortable weapon, then you have to find a comfortable holster. Took me a few months to get the right combination of both. After you're all comfortable and everything, then comes the mental part. You have to condition yourself (much like people are conditioned to carrying their cell phone and car keys) to grab your weapon each time you leave the house. I've been carrying both concealed and open for going on 30 years now. It's just something that now comes natural.

I carry a 22 mini Mag, 5 shot revolver, it fits in a Buck knife holder for a holster. Grubstake

Wife has a Ultra Lite 5 shot S&W 38 special with a laser on it Hammerless. Grubstake

Rimmy my take is it's going to depend on the state and city your in...

Then the type of judge your facing.....pro or anti gun

Last but not least, how good is your attorney!!!!

^^^^ This.

In some places they will twist you all up in court.

The ol' "He went looking for trouble".

Azblackbird is right.

Eat your veggies, brush your teeth, pack your heater are all things that are practiced until they are routine.

I would vote to nullify- not guilty by reason that a CCW permit infringes on the 2nd Amd... The law is not constitutional

However, the additional charge of carrying a concealed weapon (a misdemeanor for a first time offense) would get a guilty verdict.

I would vote to nullify- not guilty by reason that a CCW permit infringes on the 2nd Amd... The law is not constitutional

Problem is the others on the jury.

I learned the hard way that we no longer get a "jury of peers". After a deposition the lawyer that was grilling me said he was impressed by how calm and cooperative I was. I told him I was because I'm confident of the facts of case. He then pulled me aside and assured me that it aint about the facts. There was a reason he got the case moved to certain jurisdiction. He steely eyed explained that I would be "guilty" fifteen minutes into a trail that would last days. Hisrs. last piece of advice for me was to think about who would be on the jury. People who not only wouldn't be missing work but would see the 23 dollar a day stipend as a windfall.

Later my lawyer said the same thing along with "That's why you carry insurance". Which of course is the game the lawyers were playing all along.

Which brings us back to this Kalifornia ruling. I think they didn't want to go higher as the implications would be disaster for gun-grabbers. The Chicago or DC cases were much more narrow in scope. So they struck it down hoping the pols would go back and weasel out a different law. My 2cents.

Permit?? Don' need no stinkn' permit for my lil'ol'tazer as 10 X stronger than policemans lousy 50,000 watter. Then good ol' hand to hand knife and THEN gun in truck. Sounds like somebody spiked them judges coffee with LSD as they NEVER have done a *&T$W@ thang for the common man-John

As far as CCW goes if im gonna carry its going to be "open" on my hip, if those baseball wielding "idiots" see the "open carry" pistol first they are more likely not to even mess with you, and if they do....well they were pre-warned when they seen the pistol on my side!!!!

Kalif has more open carry laws than ccw,can't open carry about 80% of the time,I don't do it as just invites trouble it seems to me-John

We carry open on our hip here. No laws against it. It is the western way. We have to have a permit for loaded and concealed but unloaded you can keep it under your coat. No laws against that.

Here a man can carry outside his pants and that is the way to do it. Everyone knows the score up front and it makes for a very polite society. Laws aren't going to stop people from carrying here anyway. Or stop them from drinking while driving,, smoking pot or doing anything else for that matter.

I throw mine up on the dash so the CBP sees it. It eliminates the problem in case they want to search. Otherwise it is in plain sight. I am permitted for concealed carry but rarely carry concealed unless it is cold and my coat covers my waistline.