Nugget Shooter Forums

Just to introduce myself

Gold-digger

Hello to all, I wasn't sure where to post this but after reading a bit, I figured this was the spot. I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. My name is Ray and I live in Orange Co. Ca. I am very interested in the hobby of prospecting/metal detecting but so far haven't done any of it. I did take my detector (Minelab Xterra 70) to the beach and played in the sand but that's as far as I have gone. I found $.35 cents with it though. Anyway, I really want to get out in the dirt and do some digging but I am more or less dependent on other folks because I don't have a suitable vehicle for roaming the desert roads. We do have a motor home but I don't know if it would be advisable to take it where you folks seem to hang out. If there are any others that live in the Huntington Beach area and want to buddy up, please let me know. With the cost of gas I could maybe help out with that expense. Thanks for a great website/forum. I will be hanging out here and doing a lot of reading. I hope to get familiar with all of you and your nicknames.

Ray

Hi Ray and Welcome

I think you you need a quad or side X side so you can get out and play properly/// Put a trailer behind motor home and if Calif hasn't got you completely broke load up and take a vacation in AZ but watch out for these ole buzzards out here they drink some kinda snake oil called Cabo !!! I think maybe it's a deodorant. I'm sure that one of these guys will chime in and say what exactly it's good for. :4chsmu1:

Thanks Devilishjim, I forgot to say, we live in a mobile home park so I don't have too much room for toys. I like the idea of a trailer behind the motor home. I really do want to get some sort of 4 x 4 but at this time I just can't afford it. Seems that I retired with not enough income. Or is it that I had enough but the government keeps nibbling away at it. I'm hoping to hook up with somebody that has a 4 by though. I'm going to do a lot of reading here and see what others do and what they have. I'll be standing by.

R

How about a clean used Honda CT90 or CT110 trail bike with a dual range gearbox, harbor freight has a motorcycle carrier mounted to 2" receiver hitch would work with that bike easy since they only about 185lbs.

I like the idea but at 70 years of age, my wife would never allow it. I like the idea of a quad. I'll have to start collecting cans and bottles.

Ray Welcome to the forum, do yourself a favor and join the Orange County 49ers Prospecting club. Great club and great people belong to this club. They have a bunch of cool claims to dig for gold and some are near Randsburg. I use to be a member when I lived in Ventura. They have outings and its just a ball of fun. I learned a lot from the memebers..more so if I were to do it all alone. And its always nice to hang with people who enjoy the same hobbies.. good luck and just do it ! :)

• Like 1

Ray, as Fred has said, check into that club, that would be your best bet to start. Get the wife involved. women like clubs and most that I've seen have women somewhat running them, where as the men would rather be out detecting or prospecting. Good for all and keeps everyone happy. Sometimes when a wife's friends husband finds more gold than you do, she can cut corners and you might get that better detector or quad sooner- just say'n.

As for having to have a quad or 4wd to find gold, let me say this about that. I'm one of the worst for setting up camp and then venturing out several miles away to detect. Lately, I've done very well hunting right out of camp, within yelling distance of my trailer.

Don't play the age game either. Have several friends in the low 80's still out detecting and doing as well as some of the young whipper-snappers.

Good Luck out there, Shep

• Like 1

Hi Ray. Welcome to NuggerShooter. The folks here will help you out in any way they can. I, and lots of others tow a Suzuki Samurai around behind motorhomes. They are inexpensive, easy to tow and they will get you anywhere you want to go.

Supported the OC 49ers for many years back in the early 80s/mid 90s. My partner Don Hoffman was the founder. Unfortunately my buds have all passed from the club from NOT wearing their dust masks drywashing from Valley Fever. Meetings in Garden Grove and outings used to have great attendence. Company eases them newbie blues and shortens the learning process considerable-Welcome-John

Ray, as Fred has said, check into that club, that would be your best bet to start. Get the wife involved. women like clubs and most that I've seen have women somewhat running them, where as the men would rather be out detecting or prospecting. Good for all and keeps everyone happy. Sometimes when a wife's friends husband finds more gold than you do, she can cut corners and you might get that better detector or quad sooner- just say'n.

As for having to have a quad or 4wd to find gold, let me say this about that. I'm one of the worst for setting up camp and then venturing out several miles away to detect. Lately, I've done very well hunting right out of camp, within yelling distance of my trailer.

Don't play the age game either. Have several friends in the low 80's still out detecting and doing as well as some of the young whipper-snappers.

Good Luck out there, Shep

Thanks Shep, great advice. I'll see if I can find that club. Any suggestions on how to contact them?

R

Hi Ray. Welcome to NuggerShooter. The folks here will help you out in any way they can. I, and lots of others tow a Suzuki Samurai around behind motorhomes. They are inexpensive, easy to tow and they will get you anywhere you want to go.

I have seen them and thought about one of them. What is required for towing one? I have my little Scion XB set up for towing and it cost me a ton.

R

Hey all, just a bit of an update. I attended a meeting Tuesday night with the O.C. 49ers Prospecting Club. Nice group of folks. Very friendly and most welcoming. I look forward to doing some stuff with them. I guess I can attend one outing before I have to cough up any money. They told me that most if not all of their claims are easy access for most vehicles and some are motor home friendly. So, I just wanted to say thanks to you all for putting me onto the club.

Ray

Ray, I live up here in Barstow and go do a lot of detecting myself. I never find anything so I may not be the best person to go with, but if you are interested we could meet up in the Randsburg area and you could ride with me to some claims. I drive a 2012 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 with some serious off-road tires. Can go just about anywhere. I will help you in any way I can. If interested send me a pm.

Ray, I live up here in Barstow and go do a lot of detecting myself. I never find anything so I may not be the best person to go with, but if you are interested we could meet up in the Randsburg area and you could ride with me to some claims. I drive a 2012 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 with some serious off-road tires. Can go just about anywhere. I will help you in any way I can. If interested send me a pm.

Thanks Chris for your kind offer. I'll be in touch with you. I like it up around Randsburg. I haven't been out that way in a lot of years but it is a neat area. I'd sure welcome going with somebody that knows their way around. I guess from what I heard at the meeting they have quite a few claims up in that area. Are you a member of any clubs? How do you know if you are on somebody's claim or not? That is something that has been bothering me. How does a person know if he is on a claim?

Ray