Nugget Shooter Forums

My latest race 2014 King of the Hammers

heybeerman

I have been hiding in the garage for the last 3 months building a UTV to compete in the King of the Hammers race.

I started with a brand new Polaris RZR 1000. It had one trip to the sand dunes on it. I had to wait till the end of October to start my build because the sanctioning body did not release the vehicle requirements till then.

The race is a mix of high speed desert with huge whoops and rock crawling on some of the toughest trails in the West.

post-713-0-38769500-1392215542_thumb.jpg

post-713-0-13049800-1392215806_thumb.jpg

Video please when done please as adreneline junkie and you are one wild and crazy guy-thanx-John PS-must edit as watched that RX1000 video for the ,well way tooo many times. Change wild/crazy to speed /danger freak,sooo cool.

Edited by Hoser John

The race was last week.

So I started by Boat siding the frame. Raising the sides almost 6" And raised the front mounting point for the rear trailing arms from 3/4" below the frame to 5" above the frame. first pic is stock, 2nd pic is with the boat sides.

post-713-0-16962900-1392223267_thumb.jpg

post-713-0-20403800-1392223410_thumb.jpg

I bought a sheet of UMHW and bent it up in a press break. Where I needed to wrap it around bars I left it long, drilled holes in it. Then heated it with a weed burner and pulled it with ratchet straps. (2nd pic)

post-713-0-95901200-1392226804_thumb.jpg

post-713-0-02689000-1392227156_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I had to make my own rear trailing arms, to correct the geometry and not over travel the CV's. There was a little trial and error here. Luckily we have a 10' plasma table at work. These ended up being 3 pounds lighter than stock. But a lot stronger, all cromoly.

post-713-0-41497000-1392227312_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

There is a great video that UTVunderground.com did. But I can get the link to post up.

Bottom line I started 10th, was in the lead by about mile 25. Our GPS was not working and we went off course a lot. After pit 1 about milepost 41 we were making a course correction and I clipped a creosote bush and poked a hole in the radiator. We had to wait about 45 minuets to get permission to go back to pit 1. Once there we changed the radiator, but we already lost about 2 hrs. We battled on, broke one front axel, changed it in the pits and made a dash for the finish. We finished in 5th place with 3 minuets to spare. 5th place out of 24 PRO starters.

Had a blast, but really bummed I took the car out by hitting a bush.

link to vid:

Edited by heybeerman

PARTY ON MAN :thumbsupanim You put up 1 LL of a fight, fantastic rig and expert driving by many. Gotten to be a rich mans game but I'm so busted up from such insanity can't participate anymore or takes many MANY months to heal up. Thanx much for pics/video-Hope ya have better luck next time in that sweeeeeet thang-John

Put stickers on the car in the trailer out at Johnson Valley.

Amazing how far the UTV market has come. I had one of the first Rhinos when they first came out and remember (I forgot their names now) the father and son starting Jagged X and being one of the first to really start tricking them out. I used to go over to their house out by LP road and buy take-off tires from them. They'd always give me a tour of their garage and show me all the new stuff they were working on. It wasn't long before they out grew their garage and leased a shop up by the DV airport and started building UTV duners and race machines full time. I remember the Wellers and Dragonfire were also starting up about the same time. I think they're more into the truggies and stadium racers now days.

Amazing how far the UTV market has come. I had one of the first Rhinos when they first came out and remember (I forgot their names now) the father and son starting Jagged X and being one of the first to really start tricking them out. I used to go over to their house out by LP road and buy take-off tires from them. They'd always give me a tour of their garage and show me all the new stuff they were working on. It wasn't long before they out grew their garage and leased a shop up by the DV airport and started building UTV duners and race machines full time. I remember the Wellers and Dragonfire were also starting up about the same time. I think they're more into the truggies and stadium racers now days.

Yup

The Schueler's Bill, Justin and Brandon. Great people.

• 3 weeks later...

Was out there and had a blast, as always. Was an epic week of racing this year. Just gets bigger and better every year.

Congrats on getting back after it with such a bum luck bushwhacking.

5th out of 25 starters.

For all of you, here's how tough this race is:

154 Ultra 4 cars started Friday's main race. 32 finished.

That number is up from last year's 29 finishers.

These are truly the toughest one day races in the world.

Where do you put the detector?
Tom H.

Congrats on your finish. KOH is one tough race. We were down there on Friday and Saturday to do the Recon G6 race.

Next year we are planning on being there for 5 days.