Nugget Shooter Forums

Going to Armenia this Summer.

HagenT

I will be going to Armenia this summer. I've been there once before, 16 years ago, and as I'm sure you all know it's a very old part of the world.

I really want to bring my detector with me, but I've never traveled out of country with it, and wondered if I could run into problems going through customs?

Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am fully aware that I need permission to detect at most locations.

And what happens if someone want's to buy it from me for a pretty penny? Not sure if there are any rules in having to bring it back. Not that I would want to sell it, but for the right price...

Has anyone had any direct experience in Armenia?

Thanks for your replies.

Hagen

Yes, I've been to some of those places. They are quite amazing.

I would not do any detecting unless it was very clear to me that I had full permission. That will be pretty much impossible to get, unless you know the right people.

Plus I really don't want to end up in jail. My Armenian is terrible.

Cheers,

I wouldn't try to hunt those sites but areas near enough and you know the living and commercial areas could be great.

Mitchel

HT and all folks, I've traveled to and from 29 different countries, carried a detector with me most of the time and detected only a few. Be smart and get it in writing from the countries' consulate or Embassy about entering and leaving with and without a metal detector.

Some countries, not all will require a valid receipt to determine the value of the detector and then you will pay a "duty tax", they will then give you a receipt showing you paid that tax, KEEP IT WITH YOUR DETECTOR.

Like here in Brazil when I get to a state border, there is a BIG police check point on the state I'm leaving and one on the other side that I'm entering. These check points are the Federal Police, similar to our FBI. Some may even be combined with the state police. If they see any of my detecting equipment they will ask for that receipt showing I paid the "duty tax".

If the consulate or Embassy won't give you a written authorization or a copy of their rules, then be safe and don't take your detector!!!! If you do pay the "duty tax" be sure to ask if your required to present that receipt upon leaving their country. Those people in the customs of any country are Federal Police and their serious folks! A very good practice is to keep any and all paper they give you with you at all times.

As Americans we have many freedoms that you won't get any other countries. If you assume or act like you have those rights somewhere else then your already at risk!!

Have a good trip HT

WHY CAN WE NOT LIKE MODERATORS POSTS HERE??? This is one of the most articulate "experienced" posts on this insideous problem I've ever read. Soooo easy to go to jail in foreign countries and in most opposite of US-guilty until proven innocent sucks. Look at that poor gal and Italy-Guilty-then innocent--and now years later guilty again??? INSANE Italian court system is one of the worlds most convaluted,corrupt and insane in the world!!Thanx much G-John

The internet is a great resource, I have only taken mine to a few eastern European countries...like Serbia and Croatia. Garimpo is correct!! Contact the the countries embassy and ask questions first. Second, I have even contacted a few hunting clubs to get some information. Pay your duty tax and go. All I hunted was local farms of families I knew, and took a hike into a forest. All countries are different and have different laws, especially the ones not in the Euro-Union. Ohh one thing I forgot to add, anything considered a national treasure you will not get out of those countries, if you are found with something like that, prepare to be busted. They are very strict about theft, my parents bought a painting from an artist of a religious icon, well at the airport customs saw it and did not allow the painting to leave. So we took it and gave it to a lady at a airport flower shop to hold it until a family member can pick it up. They took the time to clear the painting that it was not an old painting but a reproduction. And eventually we got it when we had a visit from friends.So do your homework before the trip.

My friend in OKC that will be here on the 16th of Feb. ( four days) went to San Salvador last Dec. for two weeks. He took my advise and called their Embassy. All he got was recordings so he left a message about what he wanted. Two weeks later no reply, no emails and no paper explaining the rules. So he wisely left his brand new Garrett ATX at home.

WHY CAN WE NOT LIKE MODERATORS POSTS HERE??? This is one of the most articulate "experienced" posts on this insideous problem I've ever read. Soooo easy to go to jail in foreign countries and in most opposite of US-guilty until proven innocent sucks. Look at that poor gal and Italy-Guilty-then innocent--and now years later guilty again??? INSANE Italian court system is one of the worlds most convaluted,corrupt and insane in the world!!Thanx much G-John

John, we don't get "likes", don't know why, just the way the forum's software was designed, I guess the software designers thought that nobody would like a Moderator or Administrator. :idunno:

Thanks Garimpo,

I will definitely contact the Armenian Consulate/Embassy.

Very good post with lots of great info.

Also HT when in a foreign country you can always tell an American from the rest of the crowd. That can get you in trouble because a lot of people in those other countries don't like Americans because of what we have and they have nothing.

So dress down, like old faded jeans, just washed but not pressed with the creases in front.

No big gawdy western belt buckles and for sure no boots or shoes or hand bags made from animal skins. Some countries like AU will confiscate them on the spot.

If you take your Rolex or diamond rings your gonna get robbed at the very least. Before you leave go down to your local pawn shop and buy a cheap used watch.

If helps if you have a two or three day old beard, these other countries don't shave every day.

If you have a big beautiful wedding ring leave it at home. Some of these places the locals will cut your fingers off when your car stops at a light. If you have any gold teeth your really asking for it.

Get old luggage, not the new and pretty Samsonite.

In Costa Rica we were told to buy canadian maple leaf stickers for our luggage and buy a t shirt with the same. After 3 weeks I must admit I could dress like me,the next canadian ,and what a difference :th: ugly american syndrome as we are accused of being righteous , indignant tourists and constantly berated for our countries actions around the globe. Pura Vida disappeared pretty quick away from the group,armed guards 24/7 everywhere we went in CR :idunno: felt like a prisoner. 10 day tour ended and I stayed 10 more,rented a car and atv,went and saw what I wanted and a country of convalutions. NEVER will I ever go back there as a country of smoke and mirrors that villanizes all miners sic sic sic-John :grr01:

Archived