Nugget Shooter Forums

Tektites???

Johnno posted on facebook some pix of tektites he saw down in Tucson and it jogged my memory of a rock sitting in my "cool stuff found" shelf ... I do believe this is a tektite ... But I can't remember where I picked it up ... I've had it for years and think I may have found it in the Vulture Mountains, but not real sure ... I thought it was just volcanic but it sure does look exactly like a bunch of tektites I found on the internet, like exactly .... What do you guys think? ... Cheers, Unc

post-9-0-77996800-1392096617_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-05660700-1392096657_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-53627200-1392096689_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-76634600-1392096730_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-13617600-1392096772_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-45173700-1392096811_thumb.jpg

UNC;

It does resemble a tectite but it is more likely a piece of obsidian that was dropped out-or-place...of course if could have been dropped by an asian/pacific/australian travelling salesman too...

the only USA tectites I am aware of are found around Georgia....and they are not that color...I could be misremembering and don't feel like looking them up...

Maybe, Jonno will grace our forum during a break at the Tucson show...

fred

Yes, there is an apache tears area on Jackrabbit Wash more or less under the power lines where they cross the wash ... Also an amazing Apache tear area at the turn off to Burro Creek Campground between Wickenburg and Wickiup ... Right after you leave the freeway park on the first turnout to your left, almost beside the free way ... We collected there until we got tired of picking them up!

I always thought it was obsidian myself, but when I saw Johnno's pix and then found more pix on the web it just seemed identical to some of the one's I saw ... There was info on several site about tektites from Arizona, but there also was info that the AZ ones might not be real ... Oh well ... 'll just stick it back on my cool things found shelf and keep looking at it!

I can speak up on the Arizonites or Saffordites, since John Blennert showed them to Jim Kriegh and me many years ago. We picked some up and sent them on to Univ. of Connecticut, where Dr. Billy Glass did analysis and sent me the results: volcanic obsidian. They resemble the Columbianites, which are also not tektites as I understand it. Go to The Tektite Source website, run by Norm Lehrman, and he shows all of the above, and even sells Arizonaites/Saffordites but does not say they are tektites, he knows the whole story. He bought a few from me last year but has gotten many from others before me, for his site. These AZites and Saffordites are quite different in appearance from the Apache Tears from Superior AZ and other AZ locations which you mentioned.

Twink Monrad

• 1 month later...

Just out of curiosity, when back lit with a light can you find a section that is transparent enough to see light through? If so is the rock black or dark green in thin section when back lit? Most U. S. obsidians will be black (but not all) and most tektites that I've seen from various locations are colored. Even tektites (that I've seen) that appear black in color will actually be a deep green when a thin piece is back lit. If your rock is green when back lit, then check the obsidian found in that area (if you know the area) to see if its' back lit color comes close to your rock's.

I don't claim to know much about tektites, but I have seen the Saffordites that Twink has found, and they are beautiful. I have also heard

of tektites being found in Texas. I haven't bought any from asia since 2010 because they tell me the fake ones from China are pretty good.

And now, they've even got real good fake Moldavite, too.

Ben

Right Ben, the fake moldavites disturb me because each year at the Tucson Show I have a routine of buying one new one each year just for the heck of it. I always get one from the same person, so I trust they are real...

Also, Steel Pan, I will be with 3 friends in Tonopah end of May for quite a few days. If we need something else to do, how would we find the Apache Tear area near Coaldale? Coaldale on map looks to be west of Tonopah off of 95.

Thanks, Twink

Twink,

Wendy took all my money this year at Tucson and bought a Moldavite pendant from Mike Miller.....and then a slice of Gibeon from him....and then a pendant from Mica of Muonionalusta and then a DIO we pretty much gave away and then.....

She is becoming a pendant collector...and I am broke!

Jim

Ron Here is some rocks I found near Kingman, AZ. and when I first found them I thought they may be Tektites. If you want to venture a small chunk of your suspected tektite, just chip off a piece and melt it. you can use a propane or even an acetylene torch. if it bubbles its apache tear if not its a probably a tektite. :200: AzNuggetBob

post-26382-0-11678000-1395994955_thumb.j

Ben

I found the large one first and I was excited. as you can see the surface texturing is very similar to Tektites.

I have not had these officially tested but according some simple tests they tested to be Apache tears or obsidian with heavy weathering. I sliced samples off several them. I was going to use the large clean one for a center piece in a custom belt buckle but decided it would be to fragile. I should note that the rock front and center of photo is a Tektite from china that I purchased for testing purposes. AzNuggetBob

post-26382-0-36220100-1396134013_thumb.j

Hi Bob,

Yeah, that big one REALLY looks interesting. If that is from weathering, I am kind of surprised. I have a bunch of

obsidian from a meteorite hunt that I did in Nevada, in 2012, which is actually regmaglypted (thumb-printed), and

rippled. They are true ventifacts, and look like black Libyan Desert Glass. So, anything is possible.

What ever you found, it's cool looking.

Ben

Check this one out Ben

Here is another mystery rock.

I found this near Rich Hill Az. when the sun light hit just right I spotted the color. It was literly embeded in the caliche like an eye ball with iron and hemetite stones around it. I had to chissel it out with my pick. If you look close it appears to have orientation and flight lines down the sides with ablasion. Because of its nice blue green color with tinges of yellow in spots. I was thinking it may be some kind of gem stone. I cut a deep window in the side and as you can see in photo #4 there is a small pocket of bubbles so definitly not a gem stone. The pocket of bubbles are only just inside the one end right were the ablasion lines start not throughout the intire stone. the bubbles are perfectly round not stretced or compressed. the rounded end was down when I found it. could it be some type of Tektite ? Mohes hardness is simular to glass. the flashlight is high intensity LED. it is very clean and clear on the inside. I considered it may just be melted bottle glass, it has that color but how did it get embeded in the caliche? Sorry about the photo's Ill try to get some clearer. AzNuggetBob

post-26382-0-85843300-1396148361_thumb.j

post-26382-0-18019200-1396148372_thumb.j

post-26382-0-94854300-1396148381_thumb.j

post-26382-0-46691000-1396148388_thumb.j

post-26382-0-80016300-1396148451_thumb.j

Edited by AzNuggetBob

Hi Bob,

I know that some precious, and semi-precious stones have "inclusions", but I don't know if that includes vesicles or bubbles.

It looks kind of like some of the flourite that I've seen at the Tucson Show. Awesome!

Ben