Nugget Shooter Forums

How smart are crows

Au Seeker

Wow! That is amazing. I remember seeing a documentary very similar to this, if not the same one. I think the show said the only other animal that has ever solved something that complex is a primate and some tests were even suggesting that certain crow species were even smarter than primates. Ive also heard that some can be taught to speak short phrases. I've always wanted a pet crow!

Not only do they use tool but teach others how to do it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE4BT8QSgZk

http://www.ted.com/talks/joshua_klein_on_the_intelligence_of_crows.html

All we need is a Flock of them trading Nuggets for Gum Balls. LOL

Just typed in "how to train a crow" on google. I was picturing getting a crow trained so when he hands you a couple specks of gold you give him his favorite treat. I'm sure it would be tough to get them to figure it out but once you did you could have a whole swarm of eagle (crow) eyed scouts out prospecting for you. Just clamp a little tube around their ankle like the ones they used for carrying messages. Anyway my search brought up a link to a machine you put in your yard like a bird feeder, it is specifically designed to teach wild crows to put coins in there for food. At first the machine provides the coins and food until the interaction is cemented in the birds mind. Then the bird has to find its own coins for the food! Sounds like a sweet idea especially if you lived near an urban area.

When hunting crows, I figured out that they could recognize a rifle barrel.

I've seen groups scatter when aproached, after their group had been shot

at several times. You could walk around in their area, unarmed of course,

and they pay you no never mind, but get ouit of the truck with a rifle and

they're gone.

Generally people don't understand how smart critters are. From Brine Shrimp(Sea Monkies) to Tigers- no danger to very dangerious. My cats walking on a leash shocks some people. I've worked with Wolf-Hybrids. Did you know they have a sense of humor? Pythons too. They can be such pranksters!! It takes brains to mess with people!!!!

There is a guy that uses flocks of urban crows to pick up change in exchange for good food morsels. He operates in a few big cities and is making a comfortable living. He only has to teach one crow, then that crow teaches others and befor long the whole flock us working for him. No workers comp or payroll taxes!