Nugget Shooter Forums

Old topic I'm sure but still fun to hear. When Did you Start Detecting?

homefire

lol! My first detector was a $50..00 BFO from the back of a Rag Mag. 1972 or 3 Took me months to talk my Mom into that one with her Waitress wages. Slapped the coil on, fed it a 9v BATTERY and Off I went. All over the Front yard I did. Wiiiiiiiip Dwaunnnnnnnnk, Wizzzzzle Berk Burp burp. Put Put Put Put. Got it tuned. In the first 10 minutes I found a 1952 silver quarter by the front steps. I've been Sqroooooooooooood every since.

Crusader it was Called. Yep! Even got a one page letter from them for a whole year. Man that was a Machine to be sure.

The old man bought a garret coin/relic detector back in the late 70's hoping to strike it rich. We had a couple old homesteads on our ranch that we used to find a few coins here and there, but mostly old bottles and misc other stuff you'd expect to find. We also had a few famous indian battle sites on our property which naturally garnered many bullets and military garb. One of the homesteads we leased to grow our alfalfa was an old railroad stop called Clifford. The place had a nice hotel, livery, and a bunch of corrals for the local cattlemen to herd their cattle to so they could ship them to the markets. Apparently back in the late 1800's there was a gold robbery and the robbers stashed the loot near Clifford. I can remember baling hay in the summer and seeing different people come and go with their shovels and detectors. The guy we leased the land from (Jimmy Wills) gave them permission to hunt knowing full well they wouldn't find anything. My Grandpa knew the story, and I'm sure my dad did as well. Some of my best memories are reading all the gold and treasure magazines my dad subscribed to and fantasizing about finding a huge pot of gold or a big cache of coins.

Back when, I remember the new fangled machine was the TR. It rocked on coins down to oh say 4-5 inches. Sharp Clear response. A Woop sound. Here I was with my BFO hearing the Wooooooob, Burp, put put put put is I had it set up right But I was still finding more then the New Machines. Deeper believe it or not! It's all between your head phones and the Brain. Last stage of Demodulation. Then the VLF came out. Man Oh Man them puppies could dig. 8. 10. 12 inches easy on a quarter. Got me one of them. Garrett was the ticket. Paid something like $150 for a low line VLF get me stuff machine. Still didn't find as much as I did with the Old Crusader. Deeper, just not more.

1966, started really young, :inocent: Goldak TR, had two coils in one. Everywhere I went was virgin ground and the pickings were more than good. Later went to a Garrett BFO that had a different coil that would work under school bleachers without picking up the metal pipes. Would work a deal with the grounds keeper of a school and the Principal, then hook the PU to the bleachers and pull them forward to clear the area under them. Then with a leaf rake clean out most of the trash and some coins, then it was smooth sailing for old coins most of which was silver.

Aaaaaa those were the good ole days!!!

1961-Bought a kit from TandyCraft to build a Heathkit BFO,the beaches were lined with gold/silver/jewelry. No beach cleaning monster machines then. Wasn't worth a darn prospecting till I got a compass TR and a few models of Fisher vlf first THEN nuggets galore. Motherlode 660 really started the nugget hunts going. Many dozen since-What a grand time---John