Nugget Shooter Forums

Hunting old Church grounds

Just thought I would ask those who hunt for relics and coins.My hunting partner and I will soon have an opportunity to hunt around church grounds when they do some construction and remove concrete on the exterior grounds. The sidewalks were there since the 1950's and obviously as I was told no has ever detected. The church is around 150 years old and I am really excited to get the phone call for us to hit it with our detectors. Obvious to me would be lost coins and maybe jewelry. What other possibilities or finds can we expect around such an old church in the Motherlode region?

The possible finds at such a old location are endless, coins for sure, religion artifacts, jewelry, old guns, knifes, etc. are all possibilities, such a site was usually used as a meeting place long before the church was built, picnics public meeting etc, so you may find items predating the church. it being within the Motherlode region will also include the possible nugget find as well along with old mining tools, etc., you may also find a good bit of trash, but hopefully not too much.

Please keep us updated as to what is found!!

if you can get some old pics hit the areas where trees or shade covers were...many revival meetings and services were outside in the hot times. If the shave off the sod you will get into older coins that no else could reach...and low conductor signals in spots like that could be gold...beware of descrimination...

fred

Did really good hunting old churches in the LA area when I lived in South Pasadena about 25 years ago. Catholic churches were the best lots of silver and the occasional Silver dollar or 1/2 dollar. Religious medals silver and gold trolly care tokens even bullets.

Bob

Thanks for the advice guys. Fred that's a great point to look for historic pictures to determine the best possibilities for sites around church. I will not be hunting sod as this church exterior area especially sidewalk and walking areas will be dozed clean. That's when I will come in for the search. I am hoping we find a few historic items the church can display..coins would be great too. AuSeeker....yes I have a feeling this church had many many outdoor activities over the last 150 years..you can imagine my excitment to hunt these grounds. The possibilities are endless...virgin ground I am told. Beeper Bob, I use to hunt a church in Thousand Oaks, it was not this old but I was surprised at the amount of silver coin I found with my first detector a detectron 7-T. I will keep you posted..just waiting for the construction to begin. I am going to use my Tesoro Lobo....and dig all objects, and use my disc. with discretion.

RH2 if possible be at the site when the dozers start to take off the top soil....pay special attention to how deep they are taking the dirt down to......then think of it as the tails of a mine dump, same thing. They may be hauling away more goodies than their leaving for you. Then ask where they are taking the dirt or just follow them. Possibly you can work the church yard and then the tails later.

Like Skip said, the possibilities are endless. And Fred is dead on. A lot of activity happens outside the church.

All the advice above should be in a how-to-hunt manual. I'm writing it down.

Saginaw

Saginaw....yes that's why I enjoy this forum in particular. We have an active group and folks who go out on a regular base. The resource of human brain power is endless on this forum. At times I ask what may appear as a dump question...but it's not a dumb question when you don't know the answer. I did find a book with some pictures of the church, still looking for more. I will be prepared, the only battle now is waiting....:)

Good luck with the hunt RH2. We will all be anxious to hear what you found. Take some photos. The area sounds interesting.

Saginaw

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ive hunted quite a few church grounds here....and always have done pretty good really. Amazing some of the things you'll find ,especially in the parking areas. And they have some pretty old and historical churches around here....Tigger

Saginaw, Not yet..but the church has it's permits to start demolition soon. So I should get the word anytime soon to come over and do some hunting...I am anxiously awaiting for the call....I will let you all know what turns up...In the mean time...my vlf is just waiting to fire up. Until this happens I am out looking for the yellow metal....

EXTREMELY important to detect prior if possible anywhere on the property as once bulldozers hit, the site is compromised. Worked both virgin and stripped locations churches,houses and stores. Always did much better prior. Anticipation growing for sure-lotza luck-John :head:

• 2 months later...

Update, finally the construction has started on the 150 year old church...thought it would have been a BONANZA...but so far a disappointment ..I found a 1901 Indian head penny....and many nails and various old construction junk. So I thought what better place to scan than the steps leading to the chapel....nothing ! You would think their would be coins all over the place. One explanation is over the years they brought in top soil and the ground today is actually new layer and the older stuff is way down perhaps over a foot or so. Square nails, galvanized metal roofing nails are in abundance...actually a pain. The pastor of the church said the crew will be removing a section of old asphalt which has been their for years..so I am heading their later on in the afternoon to see if more soil will be removed so I can get to the bottom where the goods may be lurking. The only other explanation is perhaps in the last 45 years others have detected it and picked up the surface coins and things...but since there's junk there has to be more good targets in the ground..Whats nice about this, is I have permission to hunt the grounds when and where I want..so its a place I can go to any time...when I need a fix of relic/coin hunting.

If you know where the picnic/eating area is/was it might be worth your time. Even the area surrounding where the outhouse was could be productive. I know I've spilled coins out of my pockets while pulling up my pants after using one. Seriously.

RH2 back when and before air conditioning a lot of churches had their revivals out side when it was hot in the summer time. Ask the pastor is he or pastors before him had revival meeting on the outside of the church. If so hit that spot low and slow.