Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FishAz

Hello All....

New to the site and thought I should introduce myself, I was born and raised here in Az and been fishing, camping the local lakes here since a child, im a retired "Welding Foreman" at a local weld shop and now spend most of my time fishing for "Flatheads" although I also love to fish for other species as well (bass, crappie, carp, trout, gils etc...)...I am affiliated and member of USCA (United States Catfishing Association) and ACCA (Arizona Catfishing Conservation Association)....other interests include Kayaking, Guitar, Reptiles, Hiking, Camping, just about anything in the great outdoors....Gold panning/prospecting/mining is something that has always interested me, guess its just the "old School" aspect that I love, looks like some good reading here and maybe this old dog may learn a few new tricks LOL...Take care guys n look forward to meeting a few of you one day and thanks Bill Southern for accepting my membership in what looks to be a great site.... I'll leave Ya'll with one of my favorite pics from last year, my Avatar is the latest one caught this January 30lb at Bartlett.

post-27087-0-74110600-1391719302_thumb.j

I was born and raised here in Az and been fishing, camping the local lakes here since a child, im a retired "Welding Foreman" at a local weld shop and now spend most of my time fishing for "Flatheads"

Do you know Flathead Ed? Did some business with him a few years back and he took me out. He sure does know how to get the big ones. I thought some of the 14 to 20 pounders I used to catch back home were big, but nothing compares to what I've see him pull out of Bartlett. :woot:

Yes I am good friends with Flathead Ed, that's him in my pic with the cowboy hat, that was taken right before he caught the new Flathead AZ State record last April 13 2013 at Bartlett, weighed 76.52lb (largest fish ever caught in Az), yea he sure set the bar high LOL. I have a pic of that fish I took n would like to share it with ya'll...

post-27087-0-29269700-1391736651_thumb.j

Yes I am good friends with Flathead Ed, that's him in my pic with the cowboy hat, that was taken right before he caught the new Flathead AZ State record last April 13 2013 at Bartlett, weighed 76.52lb (largest fish ever caught in Az), yea he sure set the bar high LOL. I have a pic of that fish I took n would like to share it with ya'll...

Daaaayyuuummm that's a big fish! Come to think of it I remember reading something about that. Never put the two together that it was him who caught it. Definitely a testament to persistence paying off. :thumbsupanim

Fish do you and flathead Ed catch these monsters on hook and line?

Hey FishAZ ... we should get together sometime for a little kayak fishing. I go back east every summer for a few weeks of striper fishing in the Atlantic out of my Native Slayer 14' fishing kayak. Been fishing a kayak exclusively since I sold my last power boat about 7 years ago. I have been paddling the same 17' Old Town canoe since I was about 8 years old. I'm 65 now. Would like to get together with some fellow kayak fishermen here in AZ. Been over to the Colorado River down near Cibola chasing cats a couple times but not luck ... still learning the 'trade' I guess.

OH ... And welcome to the site.

Mike F

Fish,

Nice fish! Betchs use those hybrid sunfish hooked in the back on a jugline?

Love to fish for those big flatheads man! And anythingg else that swims. I spear fish for them mostly nowdays. What a hoot!

Welcome to the forum and be sure to wipe your hands!

BB

Garimpo.....Yes we catch these on hook n line...jugging, trotlines, noodling all illegal forms of take in Az, we use large baitcasters spooled with 100-200 lb braided Dacron line w/ Dacron or mono leaders, 6-7ft heavy 40-60lb rated rods, we use "live bait" only (carp n gills) my favorite being a 2lb carp, fish all day for bait then settle down for a night of flatheading.

Mike Furness....Just got my Kayak last year, 8ft Pelican sit on top, (i'll add a pic), have done some bass fishing but mainly got it to run baits out to select spots while flathead fishing so I don't gotta cast these 2lb baits with 8oz of lead LOL....There is a Facebook club/group page "Arizona Kayak and Motorless Fishing Group" (tried to put a link but wouldn't allow me to on this post?), they are a local group that spend a lot of time on the waters here including TTL (Tempe Town Lake), Bart, Plez, Canyon, Saguaro etc...Would be nice to meet up with you sometime, maybe this spring when the water temps warm a bit, latest trip couple weeks ago water temp at Bartlett was 51-53*, a little cool to risk getting wet, temps don't bother me on the Toon though I just don't run baits in the winter.

Bedrock Bob....Yea love those big Hybrids n Gills (ill add a pic), juglines are not legal here but we do suspend big gills using a "cat bobber"(pictured with the Gill) although my favorite and most consistent flathead catching rig is the "Ol Carolina style" rig fishing them 2lb carp on the bottom, when one of these 40lb+ flats start screaming the baitclicker its a big ol adrenaline rush (kinda like when one of you guys find a nice nugget id bet) and I practice CPR (catch, photo, release) on anything over 20lb to maintain this great specie's future existence...watching these Trophys swim away to spawn n fight another day is almost as good of rush as fighting these hawgs.

Tried to do the "multiple Quote" but didn't seem to work, tried "quote" n couldn't get that to work on earlier post either, guess i'll figure it out as I go......

post-27087-0-82257300-1391800729_thumb.j

post-27087-0-44683900-1391800971_thumb.j

post-27087-0-22374200-1391801078_thumb.j

post-27087-0-30345300-1391801347_thumb.j

Fish, Mike, here's the link to Arizona Kayak and Motorless Fishing Group Facebook page, that Fish was trying to post.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AZKayakFishing/

For some reason the link only goes to the members list of the group, but once there if you click on the on partial title of the group in the picture on the right it will take you to the correct Facebook page for the group, where you can see all recent comments/postings.

Fish,

Catch and release is very honorable. Most of us throw the little nuggets back and keep the big ones. I never keep anything below a half gram. I just toss 'em back until they get bigger.

I love to eat fish. My son and I spearfish a lot. It is kinda like shooting dove underwater. Here it is legal. I learned the hard way that it is not in Arizona. I shot a 15lb. flathead right below Roosevelt dam one evening. I came out of the water and was looking at the toes of a warden's boots. He was a nice guy but I lost my fish. He was stunned and amazed when I came up. He had no idea I was in the water. When I stood up six feet in front of him holding that big fish and a speargun looking like the Creature from the Black Lagoon he almost shat himself. So did I.

I just love fishin and fishin stories. darn good times with my family and friends. Looking forward to chatting with you Fish!

Well look who the cat dragged in! Welcome to our humble forum....

CATCH AND RELEASE :th: now where is my frying pan and butter- :4chsmu1: John

Hey John, I love releasing a few to the depths of my deepfryer also, for those that have only ate "channel cats" you got to try "flathead" puts channels to shame IMO...The CPR thing is only for 20lb+, the smaller 10-15lb taste better anyway's....